What is the best set up to clean lead?

Discussion in 'Terminal Tackle Review' started by josh caudill, Jan 12, 2008.

1. josh caudill

josh caudill New Member

State:
    kentucky,hartford
    Im new to making my own sinkers and I have all the fixins to do it with clean lead. How do you set up a good rig to clean tire weights? :after_boom:

2. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    A cast iron pan with a wide mouth and a ladle. That will allow you to scoop off all the sludge. Then pour the lead into an ingot mold, muffin tins, or something to keep it in until your ready to make sinkers. Do it outdoors or in a well ventilated area. Don't breath the fumes if it can at all be helped.

3. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    Aw Shucks is right on with the advice. All of the crap floats on the top and you just skim it off with a ladle. I use cheap muffin tins from Wally World to pour the clean lead into ingots for later use. I just put a cast iron pot on my outdoor fish fryer which is powered by a 20lb propane cylinder to melt it down. I built a sort of domed plate out of steel to funnel all of the heat up to the bottom of the pot so it was more efficient. Just give it a shot and you'll see there is nothing to it. Also good advice from Aw Shucks..... do not breathe the fumes any more than you have to, you'll start feeling a bit ill in short order, plus it isn't good for you.:eek:oooh: