What is the best river boat for catfishing

Discussion in 'Boat Tips' started by Robbie Norton, Feb 19, 2009.

1. Robbie Norton

Robbie Norton New Member

State:
    Florence S.C
    I think the fifteen forty two :roll_eyes: john boat is o.k i don't know, please give your thought's:cool2:....?

2. Dirtdobber

Dirtdobber Guest Staff Member

State:
    Vian Okla
    Depends on the river. Small river 16-18ft jon boat big river or lake 20-24ft. Im saving my pennys to get one of the seaarks jet boats

3. Robbie Norton

Robbie Norton New Member

State:
    Florence S.C
    Thanks for the tips an info:cool2:

4. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    <Depends on the river.>

That's correct, Jim. I like a flat bottomed boat for our smaller Pee Dee River where I primarily fish. A deep V would be fine for large rivers. My main issue when catfishin' is SPACE! I like a WIDE boat, regardless of the length. My two boats are 16/48 and 20/76, both flat bottomed. You can't have too much room for comfortable catfishin'! When you spend anywhere from 8 to 40 hours at the time on the boat, comfort is a MUST! The older you get, the more comfort you need! :wink: I would urge anyone to buy the biggest, widest boat they can afford. Also, shop for USED boats. With the economy such as it is, there are true STEALS to be had out there when shopping for a boat.

Bill in SC

5. littlebigman

littlebigman New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    i have a 14 ft john boat and it works great i havent taken it out on the river but it does good on a lake with high winds. hope this helps

6. Hoopie

Hoopie New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Yes it REALLY depends on the size of river you fish. Get the largest boat you can afford.The seaark jet drive would be a great boat but I bet it cost a pretty penny.If your river is not shallow though you wouldn't need a jet,you could run a regular outboard.Good Luck

7. jasonminitruck

jasonminitruck New Member

State:
    tennessee
    I too prefer the flat bottoms. Like they said rite now you can get some good deals on used boats. I just bought a 17 foot long by 5 foot wide Duracraft with a 70 horse mercury for $1400. Its all aluminum too so i don't have to worry about the floors rotting. I say you might have too look a bit, but you can find some good deals just take your time, and don't get in a hurry.

8. luckey wade

luckey wade New Member

State:
    ohio
    I have a 1756 g3.With a out Board jet motor.This boat is next if you have a shallow river.Good luck finding a nice river Boat.

9. mankind

mankind New Member

State:
    ashland ky
    well thats easy the one you have!their is so many out there it just has to be the one your in at the time:smile2:

10. tunnel hull

tunnel hull New Member

State:
    SO.il.
    the best river jon is the one thats paid off:wink:

11. poopdeck [patrick]

poopdeck [patrick] New Member

State:
    ofallon il
    Like most said, depends on the river, however I would think a 18 footer would fit on most rivers. I fish the miss and mo rivers by st louis and you would have to be a fool to go out with anything less than a 16 footer. I had a 1977 18 ft ranger fiberglass nice boat but it was heavy with a 1972 85 hp evinrude handled the river good but was a gas hog. Now I have a 18 ft alumacraft with a 50 hp yamaha, does about the same speed handles the river just as well and about half on the gas. I looked around on craigs list for a couple of months and got it for 2000 bucks and it is a real nice boat just what I was looking far. I know there are some simi rich people that cat fish but most of us do not have deep pockets so look around and you can get good deals.

12. Pip

Pip New Member

State:
    pa
    Any boat you can afford for the waters your planning on fishing. Almost anything can be rednecked out to become a catfish boat. Very few boats are catfish specific. But it almost always comes down to finances.

Personally I like a wide shallow running aluminium boat for what I fish.

13. Pastor E

Pastor E New Member

State:
    Beebe AR
    :0a27:
    A Man to that

14. catfishscotty

catfishscotty Well-Known Member

State:
    mo
    i agree with that for sure !!!!

and the fish sure dont care what your fishing out of :wink:

safety would be number 1 in my opinion for current strength and windy rough water conditions . on rivers or lakes .

comfort and style for how you fish is next .

15. LiquidSteel

LiquidSteel New Member

State:
    La Vista N
    Id have to go with the one with the three "B"'s.

Beer!
    Bait!
    Babes in bikinis!
    :wink:

16. cantstopgrandma

cantstopgrandma New Member

State:
    MD
    Depends on the size of the river, your comfort and your expectations. I've fished in a lot of different rivers here, and even the chesapeake bay. The expectations part comes in with the weather. If you expect to be able to fish all the time, then a bigger boat is required. In my 1448 flatbottom jon i have to pick and choose my days based on what the weather is doing or is going to do. There may only be 1 or 2 days a week, or sometimes less that i can go out into the bigger rivers or the bay. I'm comfortable in my boat in 1 foot and larger waves. I do get beat up a little while traveling in these conditions. How big of a boat do you need to meet all these qualifications? Only you can decide.

17. arkrivercatman

arkrivercatman New Member

State:
    KS
    Id look into gettin a flatbottom or a modified v bottom.
    Id get an older boat and if I could afford it a new motor.
    Size of boat and motor depend on what rivers you fish.
    It doesnt take a $20,000+ boat to catch fish.:wink:
    Lots of people gettin in over their heads with that right now.:sad2:
    Besides, if you get a used boat you dont feel so guilty about making modifications.:smile2:

18. gdlocal10

gdlocal10 New Member

State:
    kansas
    we had a 15' with a 58 inch beam so the floor was 48 inches wide and I have taken it on some medium and smaller rivers, but it was not near deep enough, if the waters were rough yould really have to travel according to the conditions.the waves made me nervous.the sides were nt deep enough, the new boat has like 28 inch deep side, just get as wide and deep as you can we went with the modified or semi v ,because some times we go through shallow, and a deep v runs deeper, yet we still get the stabillity. that small boat everytime someone flinched the other person could feel it