What is the best parts of a fish to use as cut bait?

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by playinghooky, Aug 19, 2005.

1. playinghooky

playinghooky New Member

State:
    north carolina
    what is better to use as cut bait the tail or the head

2. Desperado

Desperado Active Member

State:
    Pataskala, Ohio
    Name:
    Clarence
    I use the middle section and cut it up in fillets. Use the heads if I run out of center sections.

3. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    I cut mine in half and fish with both halves.

4. brian sax

brian sax New Member

State:
    shawnee kansas
    use the middle section or the head.

5. cat4life

cat4life New Member

State:
    Shawnee, Kansas
    I use the head or mid section, but I've never caught anything on ethier.

6. shania

shania New Member

State:
    San Leandro, Ca
    I like useing the middle section of a Shad, sometimes I use the hole thing. :)

Bert :cool:

7. willisjj

willisjj Guest

I usually use bluegill and I use the head and tail section. I cut the head off, scale the tail section and cut the belly open so the gut pocket is hanging out. I catch more on the tail section than the head, but I do use the head. Scaling it seems to make a big difference for some reason.

8. Jamey

Jamey New Member

State:
    Pegram, Tennessee
    Never had much luck on tails (unless the middle is still attached). I've caught some bigguns on shad and skipjack heads, even stripers go for 'em.

9. dmc888

dmc888 New Member

State:
    Lake in the hills, IL
    I descale the bluegill first, then break off the top spikes.

I prefer the middle with all the guts, cut an inch wide and 3-4inches tall and hooked thru the back section.

10. delawareriver

delawareriver Member

State:
    bath pa
    i cut the head and tail off then cut the mid section in to bait size peices and then when all of the gut peices are gone i use the head then lastly the tail. a good way to get a good use out of the tails since there isnt alot of scent and much to it besides skin bone and fin i leave it sit in with all the guts and the smelly stuff and use it at the end of the night and do good that way with all the bait.

11. hawkman

hawkman Member

State:
    Hiawatha,Ks
    I like to use the heads but not the tails

12. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    IMO, heads are a great bait if you're targeting really big blues, but the middle portion will definitely catch more fish. I prefer not to use the tails, and won't use them unless I'm really low on bait. I think that the tail section has less body fluids to seep out and attract the cats.

13. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    If useing them hole I like to cut the tail off and hook them thru the eyes.
    If useing them as cut bait I prefer the mid section as it seems to produce the most bites, the head works good when targeting the larger fish.
    Either way I pitch the tails in for chum.

14. centralcalcat

centralcalcat New Member

State:
    Marion, TX
    I prefer the heads, stays on the hook better.

15. bill_gfish

bill_gfish New Member

State:
    st. marys, oh
    Pretty much use all the shad but not to often do I use the tail. Most of the time I cut the shad into steaks using the head as well. Size of the pieces depend on the size of the shad and what the catfish want. Most of the time I fish for channels and let them decide what pieces-parts they want, big or small. In the colder months we use what we call the shad back, the top meaty part along the back of a sumo shad cut into inch size chunks. Seems in the colder water they prefer chunks over steaks or strips.

16. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    i usually cut the tail back to the vent and toss in for chum. on bait 5" and over. then cut the head off about the pectoral fins. i use both head and the gut. the heads stay on better and have caught me a # of fish. baitfish under 5 inches i slice off tail and use whole.

17. little_fiddler

little_fiddler New Member

State:
    Otter Creek, Iowa
    I'm curious as to how people cut their bait. For instance I will often filet the sides off, then cut into 1 inch by 2 inch strips. I then hook the bait by passing the hook through the bait twice.

Reading this thread it seems like others do it lots of different ways. I would like try some different techniques so I would appreciate any advice or suggestions.

18. Beastmaster

Beastmaster New Member

State:
    Chrisman Ill.
    The head is is the best.Then the gut pocket.

19. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    I like using the bluegill head ive had more luck with the bigger cats with the head then any other part for some reason.I never throw a bulegill head away,if i catch them i keep the heads and freeze them and then thaw them out before i go.As for the rest i catch more turtles then anything.

20. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    As far as bluegills are concerned, I've had my best luck with the heads. For shad I would cut the back 1/3 of the body to the tail off at an angle and use the head and gut pocket attached.