WHAT IS THE BEST LOCATION UNDER A DAM TO FISH

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by catoon, Oct 1, 2008.

1. catoon

catoon Board Clown!

State:
    whiteville
    i offten wonder i see many people at diff places under the dam and was wondering what are the best spots for yall to fish... in boat or on land

2. jolie

jolie New Member

State:
    PA
    I am sure it is different things in different areas and in different seasons.

but I had a lot of luck in a large eddy downstream. you can't just focus on the immediate tailrace, where the water falls into the river.

3. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    I like to bottom bounce the sweet spots near the turbine out put. Where the currents break. Can be very productive at times.

4. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    What kind of dam? Are you talking about a big concrete dam on a major river, with regular spillway gates? Is there a powerhouse? Or, are you talking about a little concrete dam that the water simply spills over? It makes a difference.

5. catoon

catoon Board Clown!

State:
    whiteville
    pick wick i moved closer to there from memphis so im gonna start fishing there more

6. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    ShilohRed is the one to talk to about all the ins and outs of fishing Pickwick, but from what I've seen, heard, and read, the most important thing is water flow; and most of the fishing is done below the powerhouse. I know that one of the more popular ways to catfish below the dam is to boat up to the boils below the powerhouse, drop your bait down to the bottom, and bounce it along as you float downcurrent. Another is to drop your bait right alongside the powerhouse, as close as you can get, right behind the boils. If Pete doesn't read this and post, send him a PM and I'm sure he'll be glad to help you out.