What is the best KNOT?

Discussion in 'Misc Fishing Tackle Talk' started by GETHOOKED, Jun 4, 2007.

1. GETHOOKED

GETHOOKED New Member

State:
    Arizona, Scott
    Ok, so what is the BEST way to tie

BRAID-?
    MONO-?

directly to the hook?

I have heard that a palomar knot is best for braid, and snell for mono? Is that right or not? Is there a easy way to tie a snell? I STRUGGLE

2. Baitkiller

Baitkiller New Member

State:
    Akron, Ohio
    What ever u decide on test it. I have OPERATOR problems making my knots but I know @ what lbs they fail at.

Opinion

:dribble:

3. bootshowl

bootshowl New Member

State:
    Indiana, J
    I struggle also. There is some good info in the library. I think the problem is in going to a higher pound rated line. I find the knots that I had no problem tying in 12lb test are difficult in 20lb test. And also the brand has an effect. Cajun red is easier than Berkeley Big Game. Braids?, I didn't even think anyone still used it, till I read it here. And how do you snell a baitholder hook? Got spikes on it....
    I actually have had great results with the improved clench knot in the higher rated line, but ya have to wet it.
    I snell my hooks at home in good light with soapy water to lube the line while I pull it tight with hemostat pliers, trim it off with 15" length, which is the length of my tackle box, LOL. I also leave on a little more tag when I trim the ends of my knots. But I think the knot is the weak link.
    :smile2:

4. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    I have tied a lot of palomars as they are supposed to be the strongest, but recently I've been using the knot I first learned, the one where you wet your braid, put it through the hook, turn it around the main line 6-7 times, take the "rabbit" back to the hole and cinch it.

The fish that I catch.... it's all I need! :embarassed:

5. Mi11er

Mi11er New Member

State:
    Independence, M
    I am doing the same thing, going back to the "fisherman's knot". But the palomar is a great knot and the only knot, I think, for braided line

6. catchinghogs

catchinghogs Well-Known Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    I use the clinch knot. Its just easier to tie in the dark and its pretty strong also.

7. StormCaster

StormCaster New Member

State:
    New York
    Why would you tie braid to a hook? Braid is not abrasion resistant like mono. If I have a upturn or downturn hook I use the snell. If I have a straight I use the palomar or the fast tie knot system.

8. Cheez

Cheez New Member

State:
    Trion,GA
    Palomar for mono, Spider knot for braid.
    Works for me.

Cheez

9. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania
    I always use the improved cinch knot for mono but then again I only fish for channel cats so I dont have alot of break offs like i might have if I were catching blues or flats.

10. alleygator

alleygator New Member

State:
    Florida
    CAJUN RED!!!!!!!!!!!!

11. catfishing is fun

catfishing is fun New Member

State:
    Missouri/Michigan
    what i have discovered is that any knot will hold with a few drops of super glue... lol

12. jdstraka

jdstraka Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Council Bluffs, Iowa
    Name:
    John
    I Like a Double Granny Knot for My Braid and a Sheep Shank for the Mono.The only Problem is that neither Knot holds worth a darn and I'm to Stupid to tie anything else.Whisky musta took My Brain.J.D.

PS
    Polomar for the Braid.
    Improved Trilene for the Mono.

13. DemolitionMan

DemolitionMan New Member

State:
    Tupelo, Mississippi
    I use the Palomar to attach the line to the swivel, and Uni-knot system on everything else.... Try this site out.... www.animatedknots.com Go to Fishing.....What stumps me is tying jigs/hooks in tandem on leader's...But I've ordered me some #6 Sabiki rigs and I'm gonna check em out and see what makes em tic.....Dwight