What is the best fish finder out there?

Discussion in 'Fishing Electronics Review' started by TEAM CATTER, Jul 28, 2006.

1. TEAM CATTER

TEAM CATTER New Member

State:
    COLUMBIA,IL
    so, what is the best fish finder out on the market today. Someone told me that their is a fish finder detach cats on the bottom or cats in general.If,so which fish finder is it. I'm willing to pay a pretty pennie to get all the feactures like color and GPS.THANKS

2. Catfishhunter

Catfishhunter New Member

State:
    Lanesville, In.
    You can't beat a Lowrance...

3. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    That is not what you told me the other day in my boat. LOL

There is no easy way to answer this question. Because theres a bunch of great units out there. and each person will pick a different unit.
    So I would day post how you fish and what you expect out of the unit. And then you will get a lot better answer.
    Also for me its the Humminbird 987c SI. See what is there not just think you know what is there.
    Also if not used right. None if them are good. To get the most out of a unit spend lots of time working and learning the unit. not fishing .
    Pete
    Would you like to see trees?
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v693/ShilohRed/Sidescan/Sidescanriverjune008.jpg
    Or standard like this?
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v693/ShilohRed/Sidescan/pickwicklake005redo.jpg
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v693/ShilohRed/Sidescan/pickwicklake002redo.jpg
    Humminbird 987c SI High but you get what you pay for.

4. katcatchingfool

katcatchingfool New Member

State:
    illinois
    hey team catter who is that little guy in your avatar i know that aint you ive seen you before and you aint that cute lol

5. fishhook

fishhook New Member

State:
    Willow Woo
    I don't have picture's of my screen on here but I just installed a Lowrance 339cDF iGPS on my boat and it has a lot more clear and sharper detail then the pictures previously posted but like what has already been said, you get what you pay for and this unit is kinda pricey. What you want to look for is the power in watts peak to peak. The 339c has 4000 watts peak to peak which lets you see more detail on the bottom like structure or fish and works good in muddy water which shows as clutter on most units.

6. TEAM CATTER

TEAM CATTER New Member

State:
    COLUMBIA,IL
    Someone told me that the lowrance 400 can pick up the different between scale fish and catfish. Is that true. katfishfool that is my new fishing partner until you heal up and he does catch to many drums.

7. cat tamer

cat tamer New Member

State:
    MO
    the humminbird 777 is one that I rely on the most

8. dcaruthers

dcaruthers New Member

State:
    Alabama
    I'm in the market also...you guys put some prices along with the units your pushing. It helps me decipher the term "a bit pricey"

9. Catfishhunter

Catfishhunter New Member

State:
    Lanesville, In.
    Pete, I love the side imaging but I like my sonar better. Maybe when you learn how to set the sonar up I might change my mind.LMAO...

10. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO
    I've seen folks post here and elsewhere that they can tell the difference between a fish with scales and a catfish by the shape of the echo on their sonar.

Personally, I think it's a bunch of hooey. But they can't prove they're right and I can't prove they're wrong.

11. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO
    That Humminbird side-imaging unit that Pete has is about $2k or just a little less.

"A bit pricey" is an understatement.

12. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    I know there are plenty of people who are much more proficient in using sonar than I am, so I sent an email to lowrance pertaining to this question. This is the reply I received:

I'm not arguing the point, simply posting what lowrance's tech person said. There are excellent tutorials at lowrance and other sites that give very good explanations of arches and how to read them. Each person has to learn and understand them as he/she sees fit. Remember, belief is the the biggest part on confidence!

13. blackwaterkatz

State:
    Andrews, SC
    You gotta have confidence in your equipment. Learn to use it, then trust it. I still remember the first time I ran my boat in pea soup thick fog, relying solely on my gps route that I had saved. My instincts told me the gps was wrong, but I stuck with it, and lo, I ended up exactly where I was headed. I learned that day to trust my equipment ('course I still carry a back-up :lol: ). If someone believes there sonar shows scales, so be it.
    As for the best unit, go to the various websites and compare features. You get what you pay for. My preference is lowrance, of course, but I've owned humminbird and eagle in the past. Eagle is very good for the buck. I've only owned cheaper versions of humminbird, so I can't speak for them. The things to look for are power, screen resolution, screen size, and ease of use. If you are fishing in 50' of water all the time, you may not need the 4000 or 8000 watts of power. I have an eagle fishmark 480 @ 1500 watts that does an excellent job, but I upgraded to a lowrance x107cdf w/4000W because I wanted more power and the color screen. I'm still learning the characteristics of the new unit. It is much more sensitive to the various settings, I suppose because of the extra power.

14. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
  15. blackwaterkatz

State:
    Andrews, SC
  16. fishhook

fishhook New Member

State:
    Willow Woo
    I also have an Eagle fish finder on my 25' Carver. I installed this 339c on my 17' Invader reef runner. I like the Lowrance better and it costs $699.99 plus shipping at Bass-Pro, Cabela's or West Marine. They just came out with the 339c this year.

17. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    It was $1749. Look around on line and it can be found for around that now. but most places have it for $1999. And yes it does cost a few $$ But what other depth finder can you find all the trees even rocks or other stuff to fish. Like this picture.
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v693/ShilohRed/Sidescan/NewholeWestNorth.jpg
    Its not for everyone. but sure cuts down on all the extra time finding new spots to fish.

Also James. I has the unit cranked up to see the smaller arches i that picture.
    Pete
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v693/ShilohRed/Sidescan/82ee.jpg
    Her is a tree. Yes a tree on a drop and its on side imaging and standard unit. That gives you a better ideal of what is there.
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v693/ShilohRed/Sidescan/sidescantree01.jpg
    Here is what a ball of bait fish and fish feeding on them look like on this unit.
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v693/ShilohRed/Sidescan/pickwicklake006.jpg
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v693/ShilohRed/Sidescan/306pickwick019.jpg
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v693/ShilohRed/Sidescan/lickceek02redo.jpg

18. dcaruthers

dcaruthers New Member

State:
    Alabama
    Thanks for all the info folks. With the amount of money involved, I will probably go out on a few boats before I decide. I always have had a bad habbit of paying for extra features that I never use. Maybe I can make my mind up at the gathering if there are good demos of a few different types.

19. Shanadoia

Shanadoia New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    My reply to this posts is that i agree with puttin a price out there for someone to go by which weeds out the one you know you cannot afford and maybe one that you can... I just bought an Eagle Fishmark 320 on ebay... I could have gotten it from wal-mart where i work but on ebay at that time i actully saved only 39 bucks and had to go through the process and bid, bid and more bids and wait forever it seemed. At wal-mart online only you can get it now and it has been rolled bacl from 188 to 168 dollars and be to you in 2 days so think about that... The fishmark 320 is a great unit at a great price in my opinion. I also come with temp sensor built in the unit and transducer. Take a look at it at walmart if you like..

20. duxsrus

duxsrus New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    The old saying "It ain't the size of the tool, it's how you use it" kind of applies here. If someone doesn't know how to correctly use a sonar, it doesn't matter what they got. If you leave the fish symbols ON with any of the modern sonars, they're all going to show you fish everywhere.:lol: