What is the best firewood?

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by daystarchis, Dec 15, 2005.

1. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    I been buying almond split, but was wanting to find out what ya'll burn. I hear fruit wood burns fast and nut wood burns longer. Need some help. :confused:

2. Bayoubear

Bayoubear New Member

State:
    near that hellhole dallas
    oak, preferably red oak.
    once coals build alternate adding green and seasoned pieces.
    very hot very slow burning

3. hoosier angler

hoosier angler New Member

State:
    Arizona
    Beech has the the most BTU's per pound followed close by hickorys amd oaks.

4. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Don't know about Fresno, but down at Vandenberg AFB, there's plenty of red oak. That's what we used for squadron parties. Watch out for the poison oak, though. I had never seen poison oak 15'-20' high, so I pushed right on through it to the red oak. Got covered from head to toe.

5. FS Driver

FS Driver New Member

State:
    swansea,illinoi
    we cut red oak in arkansas and the 100 or so customers that we delivered to
    loved it it burns good and hot pretty easy to split also
    avoid elm

water oaks ok but pretty hard to split the first few cuts off the ground
    it will spit a wedge or axe right back out be careful :eek:

my broinlaw about chopped his head in half on a 3foot round first cut section
    swinging a dull double bit axe into it and right back at his head it went.

he wasnt an rookie either good thing he had a hard head !heeheehee

hard to beat a big ole green piece of red oak for a back log in a fire place

6. Nobody Special

Nobody Special New Member

State:
    TN
    I always liked ash. It lights easily, splits easily and burns good and hot. It will burn a little faster than oak or hickory though. Great for getting the fire going good and then banking it down with the oak.

7. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    I really appreciate the tips. I checked our local paper and no oak of any kind :cursing: Almond, plum, and it is $150 a cord :crying:

8. FS Driver

FS Driver New Member

State:
    swansea,illinoi
    back when i was cutting it
    it was 25 a rick or 40 a cord
    that was in 1977-78
    we had an old 56 chevy 1 1/2 ton flatbed
    it would haul 5 ricks of stove length wood
    or 4 ricks of 24 inch fireplace sized wood
    we allways mounded the load so the customer
    always got a good deal and they would always call
    on us again.
    i dont miss chopping that stuff but i miss the old fireplace
    and old wood burner that i could make cherry red and swell
    up like it was breathing LOL

9. Big Country01

Big Country01 New Member

State:
    brandon,florida
    always preferred oak,but when i was a kid in california we used to burn manzaneta which was illeagal but when live in the mountains in a one log cabin and moms at work you burned what was easy to find and would fit in the pot belly stove...but i loved that smell of the manzaneta...

10. Chris

Chris New Member

State:
    Spring Hill, Kansas
    My family used hedge, it burns very hot and might also try using pecan it burn hot also. There is one draw back of using hedge, it has to be season for atleast 1 year. If you dont know what hedge looks like, it has the big green apple looking things.

chris

11. Dano

Dano New Member

State:
    Texas
    Aint nothing like a good burning fire outside/fireplace/woodburning stove on a cool night. I like a good smelling fire. Not a stinky oil fire, plastic etc.
    Oak wood is the best for stove/fireplace, any fire. Pen oak, red oak, white oak. I use what I can get the most of and the easiest. White oak. My yard is full of em. Lot of self pruning for just walking out side stirring up a fire and oak leaves. I love this time of year for building fires. We got a lot of oak in my area. I can go out right now get me a nice warm spot going in 5 mim's. Actually got one going in my wood stove on back porch right now.
    I burn one every night in my wood stove on back porch. wither time we close it off a little to block wind, got a tv out ther and that is my football area. LOL Bout the only time I dont stir up a fire is July and august and sometimes I do then if I'm camping. Never go camping without a fire. LOL. I stock up a good couple cores of wood a year for our outside stove. Plus always scraping up on stuff here and there. .

I use to cut all my wood. Now I buy a core, cut some etc. Oak is what we get. Just cant beat oak for stove/fireplace. Had a friend who lost a big pecan tree last year, thats good fire wood. Nice smell to it. I used it both in my wood stove and BBQ.

Also for out side, ceder makes for a hot fire. Smells good but can get strong. I sometimes throw a small piece in the wood stove just for smell. LOL. Defiantly dont want to cook with ceder or pine. Speaking of pine. Anyone know what pine knot is are some call it rich pine. I use a table saw to make little fire starter sticks out of it
    Dont get me started on bank fishing with a fire and camp fires.

I aint nuts on fire.LMAO I just like a good fire, sitting around, having a good time.

Oak is the best for me.

What the heck. here's a pic of me right this very mimute. My good dog and that other dog i call a rat dog is climbing up to warm her bones. We rescured her a while back. She is a hines 1K. Story behind that dog. LOL.

12. Desperado

Desperado Active Member

State:
    Pataskala, Ohio
    Name:
    Clarence
    Any of the Oaks and hickory's, I like osage orange wood too.

13. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    Dano said "Anyone know what pine knot is are some call it rich pine."

Sure do, I called it rich pine, excellent fire starter.
    There is some in this lake thats been under water for for 73 years... still rich.

Your picture sure looks cozy!

14. bearcat

bearcat Member

State:
    Nokomis, Illinois
    Oak,hickory and if you burn it in a wood stove Hedge or others call it osage orange. It is the hottest burning wood of all. I t doesnt split worth a darn. Contray to some hedge is the only wood that burns good green. We used to heat the house with wood stove only. When it would get real cold the only wood that could keep the house warm was hedge. Plus it burns along time. We used 3 to 5 pickup loads a year. Heaped with 1 foot side boards.

15. Dano

Dano New Member

State:
    Texas
    olefin, I get mine from around the lake. Name of lake I fish on is 'Lake O' The Pines". Plenty of it in the woods around banks. No telling how old it is but it is rich pine. Just takes a little to start a fire. I like the pine smell of it.

16. RamRod

RamRod New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I remember cutting up some locust and it seemed to burn for awhile as well.

17. elphaba7

elphaba7 New Member

State:
    Mo'town, WV
    Man, this is a great topic! The pile of wood hubby's has been pulling out of the woods is definately burning too quick for us. Property at the end of my road got logged the last two years, and the fellow who logged it told us neighbors we could take any of it we wanted. Don't know what it is, though. I guess we should be on the look out for some oak.

18. FS Driver

FS Driver New Member

State:
    swansea,illinoi
    jen its been dead for a couple years its a bit dried up .
    it will burn quicker.
    for those just starting out useing wood .
    if you are getting green wood and want it to dry out quicker stock pile it .
    if you want it to stay green longer stack it tite.

19. Bayoubear

Bayoubear New Member

State:
    near that hellhole dallas
    'lighter pine'
    a.k.a. pitch pine, wet pine, pine knots.

a few finger sized slivers in with the kindling gets a fire going in no time. be sure to brush the chimney once a year tho, soot buildup.

when roaming around piney woods look for OLD stumps. what you want to find is an old rotten stump 18 inches round or better i'd say where the very heart of the stump is still hard. if the outer 3/4 is all rotten and crumbly but center is rock hard then this may be a pine knot. give it a good kick and it should stand firm. if it does hit it once with an axe or hatchet and smell the splinters. the grain should have a reddish hue to it and the odor from the turpentine should be plain as day. dig the thing up and split into long thin slivers. DO NOT NEVER NO HOW NO WAY put a big chunk of this in your fireplace or wood stove.
    i dont care if your trying to light green wood with snow on it. DONT DO IT, youll burn down your house. it burns extremely hot with a huge flame and will send flames up the chimney. little slivers only.

TIP:
    when lighter pine is scarce what i will use to light fires is one of a couple things. get one of those sawdust duralog things and slice an inch wide slice off the log and use that. two bucks will light a month of fires. or, when i make candles. (save yer candle stubs and melt in a huge coffee can) the last of the recycled wax that has the nappy bits of wick, match heads, etc... in the bottom of the coffee can... ill take smaller sized pine cones and swish them around in that last bit of wax and let them dry. excellent fire starters.

20. TOPS

TOPS New Member

State:
    Cabot,Arkansas
    My Dad looked for oak and bitter pecan.