what is the best fertilizer for tomatos?

Discussion in 'Garden Tips And Talk' started by catfishrollo, Feb 10, 2008.

1. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    what is the best way to grow large juicy tomatos??? rollo

2. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    A guy that used to be on here grew awesome maters by using catfish that he had filleted. I guess he just put them in the ground and tilled them into the soil. His name was RIP, you may be able to search his past threads if their still on here. He grew awesome maters!!!

3. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
  4. lawnman61

lawnman61 New Member

State:
    Fort Worth, Tex
    Jason, I use fish parts for preparing the ground and during the growing season, I use miracle grow for roses. I get some of the juiciest maters.
    I spray the mater plants twice a month with the miracle grow for roses.
    I also plant marigolds around my plants to keep out the spider mites.
    These things always work great for me down here in Texas.

:wink::big_smile:

5. arkrivercatman

arkrivercatman New Member

State:
    KS
    My dad used to bury fish in my moms tomoato garden. They grew BIG.Enough to cover a whole slice of bread.Tasted good too.

6. Hootowlc3

Hootowlc3 New Member

State:
    Florida
    If you like I am and can't catch enough fish for the garden, use bone meal. Just mix with the dirt in the bottom of the hole where you are planting the tomatoes. Then side dress with a balanced fertilizer. I use 13- 13- 13.
    If the nitrogen is too high you will get more vines than tomatoes. I also side dress with epson salts a couple times a year.

7. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    i usually have a heck of a tomatto patch, last year the plants grew over 6ft. in height.. just wanting to know what i need to do to maintain a good garden for tomattos!! i put cow crap on it last year with straw, and tilled it in...rollo

8. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
    Rollo my Dad used to use Carp that he caught, he would bury them in the garden.

And since we know that you can catch carp LOL

9. lawnman61

lawnman61 New Member

State:
    Fort Worth, Tex
    That is always a good thing Jason, using cow poo.
    I had plants 8 and 9 feet tall last year and was always fully loaded with maters. just don't over water cause that is why maters split.
    I had to use a trellis to support my maters and tied them up.

10. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    mine did great last year. canned up 60+ jars of salsa. i started using rabbit poop. i get lost and lots for free. + meat from rabbits. rabbit salsa??? huuuum.

well maybe not,lol.

11. fishhook

fishhook New Member

State:
    Willow Woo
    Use the manure for conditioning the ground before planting along with a little 5-10-10 fertilizer then side dress with the 5-10-10 about mid season to keep the tomatoes coming until frost.

12. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Whatever you do, don't use too much Miracle-Gro on your tomatoes. It will make the plants grow huge, but the tomatoes will have some kind of white stuff all through them.

13. alands94

alands94 Active Member

State:
    Lebanon, I
    At my parents place we always buried post-filleted fish parts and dumped compost on every spring and fall. A local botanist said we had good tomatoes due to the egg shells in the compost. He said calcium is important for preventing tomato rot.

14. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Why don't you use some of the stuff that you spread around here! It ought to grow ginormas tomatoes. :eek:oooh::crazy::smile2::smile2::smile2:

15. lawnman61

lawnman61 New Member

State:
    Fort Worth, Tex
    Jerry, thats because the mix was to strong, thats why I use the miracle grow for roses on my maters, never had a problem, always had real nice ripe juicy sweet red maters

16. hillbeach

hillbeach New Member

State:
    Virginia
    I bury bluefish down the middle of the garden. Had the best growth this year. The Indians showed the early settlers this so it is good enough for them... Had a bad second plant though hope to avoid this this summer.

17. orion_xxvx

orion_xxvx New Member

State:
    North Central Missouri
    Compost Pile last years grass leaves garden waste .

18. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Jason, you will have to take in account last years temperatures. Your soil can be exactly the same as it was last year and with out the heat your crop won't be. Tomatoes and peppers love the heat as long as they have regular water. In forty years of growing them, last year was my best yield for both kinds of plant.:big_smile:

19. whodaman

whodaman New Member

State:
    Des Moines Iowa
    tomato plants love Potassium and the best way to give them this potassium is by putting banana peels around the stem of the plant you might have to repeat this process but it does work and my horticulture teacher once told us that the tomato plant is pretty much an exact replica of the cannibis plant (pot)

20. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    is that why im so happy when the maters are on! lol

potassium eh, ill test that this year. i also use rabbit raisins to fertilize in the fall. also my maters are grown through black plastic.