What is the best boat dog?

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by kitsinni, Jan 29, 2010.

1. kitsinni

kitsinni New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I thought this might make a fun topic. What do you think the best boat dog is? I know a lot of us have mutts and they make some of the best dog. My current dog is a mutt but I think it is the Lab in her that makes her a great boat dog. Let me know what you think.

I'm going to go with Lab.

2. r ward

r ward New Member

State:
    Kathleen G
    I ain't sure but I figure it's got to be well trained and a good swimmer LOL realy thou a buddy or mine takes his Jacck Russel out some

3. flatheadslayer

flatheadslayer New Member

State:
    Thomaston, Geor
    weli i normally take my shitzu,but i preffer taking my pit bulls.can't say ones better as a boat dog than the other.but with the pits you can leave the boat alone an noone will mess with it,little do people know they'd probably help them carry the stuff off.in my oppinion,their is no better or worse boat dog,its how well behaved they are.when i take mine they know what to do.fun topic though.

4. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    In my opinion, a boat dog should be a good swimmer, and be of a SMALL size. Labs are great dogs, but big and bulky. I like spaniel type dogs if you are seeking a purebred boat dog. Otherwise, I like mutts for boat dogs. Again, a boat dog should be medium to small as space is a necessity on a fishin' boat.

Bill in SC

5. boswifedeb

boswifedeb USCA Jailhouse Lawyer

State:
    Tennessee
    Name:
    Debbie
    Good topic. I don't have a boat, but I do have a canoe. We have a dog that's part boxer and part bird dog. She loves to jump in and have Dad and Mom take her for a ride. Reps for a good topic.

6. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I leave mine at home while fishing,I dont need to be unhooking them :Nop:

7. Steph

Steph New Member

State:
    Cincinnati, Ohi

labs

8. rwg

rwg New Member

State:
    WICHITA, KANSAS
    I have a pomaranian she goes if I go. She sleeps in the boat all day and only wakes up if I get in the cooler to get something to eat,

9. puppypal

puppypal New Member

State:
    Sheridan, Ar
    Fancy is a great fishing partner. Tough enough to take it and small enough to handle

Attached Files:

10. Catgirl

Catgirl New Member

Yeah, try fishin' with THREE golden retrievers; even a pontoon is crowded, lol. Plus, goldens have long hair, so shaking after swimming provides quite a spray! (Labs would be better in that regard.)

Taking one at a time isn't bad, and they love it. Very well-behaved when on board. Blossom (RIP) was always GREAT until we got to the marina. If you opened the gate, she'd go get on someone else's 'toon. "Let's GO people!" :laugh1:

I like your idea, Bill. Been thinkin' on that anyway....when these are gone, getting some sort of spaniel. Maybe a spaniel mix from the pound.

11. corklabus

corklabus New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    My "Peanut" loved the boat. She was only 8 pounds, but was as energetic as a tazmanian devil. I had to keep her tied in the boat because she wanted to jump in the river all the time and I knew she was way too small for the current. She would attack the bait on the rods and tackle any fish brought on board. She loved EVERTHING and wanted to play with everything. That was her down fall because one day she snuck out of the house and ended up in the road hit by a car. Now she rests out in the yard with her little headstone and her solar lamps for night lights. We sure miss her.

12. BowieKnife357

BowieKnife357 New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Best boat dog I've ever had is my red heeler. She does what I tell her to do and doesn't get in the way. Good at letting me know if someone else (or something else) is coming around too. She also good for bank fishing on the river, got her one of them dog back packs so she gets to carry tackle boxes while I tote fishing rods and bait bucket.