What is the Best Battery Brand????

Discussion in '4X4 Truck Talk and Repairs' started by oh no, Feb 10, 2008.

1. oh no

oh no New Member

State:
    Indiana
    BOY I HATE TO ADMIT THIS, MY FORD WONT START!!!!!!!!!! LOL I put a Deka battery in it, Car Quest sells them. 1000 ca and it's 3 years old, and it's 0, and I get the uhhhh uhhhh wish I could turn this 5.4 over routine. lol

I used to buy WalMart battery's, and they quit after a couple years, so I started buying these Deka's thinking they were better. Well they are only 1 year better.

Someone out there has to make a good long lasting battery, WHO IS IT????????

Hey you Chevy owners, give me a break. It's probably takes a big battery to start all Fords Horsepower. Wore out Chevy's, with not much compression will turn over with your little finger. These POWERFULL 5.4s [ lol ] need more juice. lol lol

:smile2::tounge_out::smile2:

2. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    Jim, I've had pretty good luck with Ford original equipment batteries. Our Lincoln is 7 years old, battery still OK. I had a 98 F-150 battery that lasted over 7 years.

But I only replace with Walmart, I got 5 years out of their last marine battery.

3. gardengrz

gardengrz New Member

State:
    wakeman,ohio
    interstate workaholic is what i got in my 92 dodge diesel. its about 95 bucks at a parts store. crown would be a good choice too. just match up the size your truck calls for. :big_smile: :cool2:

4. SSgt Fishslayer

SSgt Fishslayer New Member

State:
    south carolina
    We use Optima batteries and as long as your alternator is good, they will last forever. they are a gel cell so you dont have to work about spillage or having to replace the elctrolyte in them. thats what i would suggest. my buddy had one in his trail rig and it bounced out and into the fan. the fan chewed a big hole in the side of it and we thought we were done for. but he picked it up, strpped it back down, hooked it up and it cranked up just fine. it was still in there when he sold it a year later and never even slowed down.

5. oh no

oh no New Member

State:
    Indiana
    OlFin , when I bought that truck 1 1/2 years ago it had what looked like a new Ford brand battery. I had just gotten that DeKa so I told my boy, that when he got my old Ford, we would swap battery's. lol I'll bet he got the best deal. lol

Hey Sarge, tomorrow I will call a few parts stores and see if they have them. If they don't I'll go to the Ford dealer. I'm going to call Owens -car quest dealer- and see if any warranty remains. I was wrong wrong wrong, it is less than 2 years old. GRRRRRRRRRRRrr.

As much as I hate too, tomorrow I'll ask my wife to use her GM Cadillac to jump start my Ford, LOL LOL

This is going to be tough, asking a GM lover for a jump start. lol lol I'm lucky it's my wife, because if this ever got out, Ford owners would not talk to me. LOL LOL

:smile2::big_smile::smile2::roll_eyes::smile2::big_smile:

6. Philiagorillia

Philiagorillia New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I work in the vehicle battery industry and i will tell you right now Optima makes the best batteries you can get. They are a bit pricey, but get yourself a good redtop optima and you are set for a good long while.

7. SSgt Fishslayer

State:
    south carolina
    thats what the Corps trusts in all of our gear. Optima redtops and everyone knows how bad a Marine can break something. the only problem we have with them is it takes a while to get one in. lol. they use them in the hummers and the 7 tons, so why not in your FORD?

8. oh no

oh no New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Well I put my 50 amp battery charger on it this morning, while I was feeding our calves. and then I started it up on the way back from the barn. Took it to Owens Motor Supply and they checked it, said it was bad, and gave me a new one, no charge.

I had to sign the receipt, that darn battery lists for 179, I must have paid 113 for it when I got it. It's that business discount thing. Well I will try those Optimax jobs this spring. Every spring like clockwork I end up buying 2-3 battery's. We just have to many items that take battery's.

I punched in Optimax in google this morning and they showed me all the dealers in this area, Auto Zone even sells them. It's probably one of the few things they sell that is worth a hoot. I'm not an Auto Zone man.

Thanks for the Idea's folks.

:big_smile::big_smile::big_smile:

9. Lost-him

Lost-him New Member

State:
    Idaho
    I've tried alot of differnet batteries over the years but the one that I found lasted the longest was Interstate. I also tend to oversize my battery as this seems to help in cold weather.

10. CarolinaCats

CarolinaCats New Member

State:
    Rural Hall
    I gotta go with interstate.

11. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    My battery in my 2001 F250 was seven years old this year. Put a new Ford battery in it anyway. Figured there was no use pushing my luck. Always had good luck with them. Comparable in price also.

12. FlatCatMan

FlatCatMan New Member

State:
    Illinois
    From on-road, to off-road, and in the demolision derby arena, everything I drive is powered by Interstate. Never had a problem. If it can start my 302 when it is over 300 degrees, it can start your 5.4 anytime!

13. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    Interstate use to be the best and it's what I still use to this day. Next time I will have to look into the Optima's since I see the good reviews ya'll are giving them,,,, Thanks

-Jim-

14. Creteus

Creteus New Member

State:
    Loganville, GA
    I've been having problems with my powerstroke batteries. One was always going bad and the other would hold the differance for a while then fail and take the altenator with it. happened once and took both batteries out completely. The second time I caught it befor it got both batteries and replaced the one. A year later the same problems and I caught it again at one battery and a 100 amp altinator down to 10 volts. Same battery. I know the rule that a lose altenater will go out quickly and I kept them tight. Turns out the whole tray was lose to where it could bounce around. Fixed it and so far so good. Might want to check and make sure that its all tight.

15. mmuckleroy

mmuckleroy New Member

State:
    Texas
    I also prefer Interstate. My little bro. has a shop and thats all he uses.

16. gardengrz

gardengrz New Member

State:
    wakeman,ohio
    im surprized that someone hasnt bragged about thyr walmart battery:angry:

17. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    I'm not bragging but I've already posted that I got 5 years out of a Walmart and replaced it with another. My new boat came with a Interstate cranking battery. It was weak from day one.. the dealer finally gave me a new one. It lasted a year. The trolling battery lasted couple years. Replaced both with Walmart. My pontoon came with an Interstate.. lasted little over a year. I think they put the cheapest battery made in new boats.

18. cantstopgrandma

cantstopgrandma New Member

State:
    MD
    We have good luck with Deka here at work, with everyone leaving their radios and battery chargers on all the time and the constant shutting off and restarting. I lost faith in the walmart batteries after i started only getting 2 years out of them. Just be careful with those Optima batteries. They are good in theory but I hear they have an awful lot of problems with them. I think I heard that they got new ownership, so maybe that will change. They're also REALLY expensive. I personally would stick with the Ford batteries if I were you. My uncle always seems to get 8 or 9 years at least out of them, and he wont buy anything else because of that!

19. SSgt Fishslayer

State:
    south carolina
    ok one more optima rant in here. i just found out that in my buddies drag car he has 2 optima deep cycles, mainly because he doesnt run an alternator. he can get 5 good passes out of one charge, and he is usually running high 9's and low 10's, so there is some speed and heat there. never had a problem with them. just a little more food for thought.

20. gardengrz

gardengrz New Member

State:
    wakeman,ohio
    sorry i didnt see your post didnt mean any harm , its just im not a walmart guy:roll_eyes: it seems they have everything except exactly what you want so u gottu settle for what they have. so i dont go there. dont know if there avaiable everywhere but the goin boat batterys around here are walleye 1 made by crown. :big_smile: :cool2: