what is the best bait for catfishing??

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by ASCRAPPER4LIFE, Aug 10, 2009.

1. ASCRAPPER4LIFE

ASCRAPPER4LIFE New Member

State:
    TENNESSEE
    the only bait that i have found that i have any luck with is chicken liver and the bait that i make myself.any tips would be helpful.

2. offshore_angler

offshore_angler New Member

State:
    SW TENNESSEE
    SKIPJACK HERRING, SONNY'S CHANNELCAT BAIT. IF YOU WANT BIG CAT'S!! START USING CUT BAIT WITH 5/0 HOOKS WITH A CAROLINA RIG... OR EVEN SHAD GUTS..I LANDED A 79LBS BLUE WITH SHAD GUTS FOR BAIT..OHH ALSO UPGRADE TO BRAIDED LINE..HERE IS A GOOD CHOICE POWER PRO 65 LBS....

3. lforet2002

lforet2002 Well-Known Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Skipjack hands down..

4. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
  5. lforet2002

State:
    Tennessee
    and skipjack hands down

p.s. forgot about shad..

6. festus

festus New Member

Shad guts, bluegill fillets, skipjack and shad steaks and heads, shrimp, well catfish will hit about anything. One bait that most folks don't know about is muscadine grapes. The vines grow up tall trees next to the lake banks but are only in season from about September 1 to October 14. They have a powerful smell, are really good to eat, and make good jelly and wine.

7. preshrd3cpy

preshrd3cpy New Member

State:
    Calhoun,Tennessee
    The bait I do well with is liver and tried several diff baits and did ok with cut bluegill. Good luck!!

8. SGTREDNECK

SGTREDNECK New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Welcome to the BOC Colton! Best catfishing baits? Well i am not an expert but I do catch some really nice fish. Mostly I use cut shad. They will catch every type of catfish. Livers work well for channels and small blues. Cut skipjack is my other favorite bait, as it stays on the hook better than shad, so is better for them longer casts and stronger current. Good luck out there.

9. 1 catbuster

1 catbuster New Member

State:
    Union Mo
    moon eye is the best bait if you can get them as far as tips power pro like all other braids are crap for cat fishing they fray, don't cast well and have no stretch use mono Cajun red works good for me

10. lforet2002

State:
    Tennessee
    Muscadines aren't the only fruit they'll bite either..They will also eat mulberries too..A lot of people don't realize that cats are omnivores..

11. indycatman

indycatman New Member

State:
    Greenwood, Indi
    fresh cut gill or live gill for flatties

12. bdporch

bdporch New Member

State:
    tennessee

LOL cajun red is like barbed wire compared to braided line........newayz if u wanna catch a lot and dont care about the size then try large minnows if you cant find skipjack r shad.

13. cattracker13

cattracker13 New Member

State:
    tennessee
    Good ole cut Tennessee Tarpons (skipjacks) and bluegill heads(the bigger the better)

14. preshrd3cpy

preshrd3cpy New Member

State:
    Calhoun,Tennessee
    Bluegill told you brother this site was sweet.Gotta love the BOC!!:wink:

15. Jedicazador

Jedicazador New Member

State:
    TN
    well I always threw the skip jack away, not anymore, gonna keep each one cut em and save em if I have to.

16. mmarcum6

mmarcum6 New Member

State:
    Tenneessee
    I will have to diasagree a little on the braid having problems. I have a reel with 5 year old spider wire 50# test and have never had any problems. As a matter of fact I landed the fish in my profile with the reel and the only problem was the fish stripped the drag out of the reel probably due to the age of the reel. I spooled up the replacment rig with the same line and have never had any of the issues you mentioned. I have felt of the cajun red line and it does seem a little stiff to me.

To each his own but I have been totally pleased with the braid and will continue to use. This is only my opinion and I'm not trying to make any one mad just stating the facts I have experienced

17. lforet2002

State:
    Tennessee
    I have a freezer full..I catch a boatload in the spring and use them all thru the year..

18. gatortail

gatortail New Member

State:
    tennessee
    skipjack in the winter yellowfin shad in the summer ole buddy

19. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    a old timer once told me the best bait is the natural food source of the waters ...ya take it from there you will never go wrong

20. Catfish_Scooter

Catfish_Scooter New Member

State:
    Tennessee