What is the Best Bait for Catfish in your area

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by wykydjuggalo, Feb 9, 2006.

1. wykydjuggalo

wykydjuggalo New Member

State:
    Gadsden,Alabama
    Whats the best bait to use this time of year, NOthing seems to be biting on the baits i usualy use which is brem, shad, or nightcrawlers

2. bwolcott

bwolcott New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Chicken livers, the blood will definitely draw them in.

3. pk_powell

pk_powell New Member

State:
    Missouri
    :p :) I read in a Missouri Conservation Magazine yesterday, that cats like bacon,and also 1 slice will last all day or night. I guess they like breakfast too.

4. wykydjuggalo

wykydjuggalo New Member

State:
    Gadsden,Alabama
    haven't thought of using the chicken livers, usually just sling em off the rod

5. flatcatnightmare

flatcatnightmare New Member

State:
    south east Indiana
    I guess the best bait would be according on what you are fishing for , if your fishing for channels , the usual stink baits or blood baits , if your fishing for Blues I would have to say fresh skipjack cut , hope this helps ya , and take kare.

6. james

james New Member

State:
    Blue Ridge texa
    If you are haveing trouble with slinging your liver off your hook try cureing them or u can put the liver in pantie hose and make a ball tie it off and hook your hook into the pantie hose

7. prince

prince Member

State:
    Arkansas
    When I don't have pantie hose - I get cheese cloth from the hardware store to wrap around the liver

8. bwolcott

bwolcott New Member

State:
    Illinois
    i just use a treble hook or cure them. the only thing about curing is i have not caught one cat off cured livers.

9. centralcalcat

centralcalcat New Member

State:
    Marion, TX
    chicken liver, shad, or stink bait either Dk Punch bait or Sonnys tend to be the best.

10. CATFISHPAT

CATFISHPAT New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Shad/cut shad/shad gizerds,Blue gills,worms,chiken livers,hot dogs,aer all good bait.But the best is to feed them what thy eat everyday.So look around and figure out what thy eat and you will do good.

11. rebcatman

rebcatman New Member

State:
    Manassas, Virginia
    Here in Northern Virginia chicken livers, minnows, shad, eels, seem to be the top baits. Like everywhere else, there are any number of baits that are used here from stink bait to hotdogs etc.

12. FRANK

FRANK New Member

State:
    Welland,Ontario,Canada
    In Southern Ontario, I usually use Minnows, Night Crawlers & Chicken Liver.

I have found that Minnows work best, but I am still experimenting with stink baits for channels.
    I have a few recipies for stink baits but I have'nt had any luck with them, so back to the drawing board.

13. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    On the Arkansas River, here in central Arkansas, skipjack or fresh cut shad is definitely the way to go.

14. Larry

Larry New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    On the Minnesota river seems to be suckers. 4-12 inches.
    tried bullheads no luck yet.

15. comanchero

comanchero New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    I primarily fish the St Croix River and Mississippi River in Minnesota. I use the largest and hardiest legal bait allowed which in Minnesota is a 7" bullhead or a 12" sucker. The problem with large suckers is that they are expensive and they don't keep very well. Bullheads are tough critters and fairly easy to catch and keep. I maintain a 100 gallon bait tank and I try to keep 50 to 75 bullheads on hand. We have been told that the Minnesota DNR will revise its minnow regulations in 2007 and that they are going to allow 10" bullheads. I will be going to 10" bullheads as soon as that regulation is fielded. I like the biggest and liveliest legal baits I can use for flatheads.

16. Flamekeeper

Flamekeeper New Member

State:
    Louisville, Ken
    Early in the year here in Ky, On Lakes and ponds,I use fresh Chicken livers with a 1/2 nightcrawler on the bottom to help it stay on the hook ,and lob the bait out with a smooth pendulim type cast. Can get it out thee about 100 to 150' easy,no problem.
    Fishing from 7-13' around water inlets or rocky flats where it drops off into deeper water. do pretty good with it.

Good Luck

17. Flamekeeper

Flamekeeper New Member

State:
    Louisville, Ken
    sorry guys Hit the button again on the edit and somehow it posted again, Tried to delete but couldn't.

18. nosnag

nosnag New Member

State:
    Florida
    Here on the Suwannee the best bait for pan sized channels is fresh chicken livers,followed by cut bait,punch bait,and dip bait ,in that order.For larger fish they usually prefer fresh cut bait,whole dead bait,and live small baitfish,in that order.Live baitfish seem to attract bowfins before the channels will commit to them.
    Cut baits are sunnies,shad,and shrimp.I do'nt like to use them in still water on the river though.Gators and turtles find them too appealing.:0a26:

BILL

19. rpcathunter

rpcathunter New Member

State:
    Fort Worth, Texas
    DK punch bait is good, if your shad are big enough cut the head off with the guts attatched, changing every 20 minutes.

20. 3dukmn

3dukmn New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Sonnies for eaters, and Skipjack for the monsters.