What is the best bait for Blue catfish?

Discussion in 'Blue Catfishing' started by bluecatnut, Oct 13, 2005.

1. bluecatnut

bluecatnut New Member

State:
    freeburg illinois
    i wanna hear from all y'all what do u think the beat bait for blues are

DUSTY
    U.S.M.C. ALUMNI
    GOD BLESS

2. TIM HAGAN

TIM HAGAN New Member

State:
    Walkersvil
    Well for me in maryland i use cut bait shad,gills,carp skipjacks any fish with alot of oil in it. And i have great luck with chicken hearts soak in livers . dead x-large shinners or suckers they are work great .

3. skippy

skippy New Member

State:
    cincinnati ohio
    for me here in ohio, if i am lake fishin, i get me some gills, let em die, put em in a ziplock bag and sit em in the sun for a few hours.... they can get nasty pretty quick depending on temp outside, then when they get bloated, i mean bloated, its time to go fishin.. I cut the head and tail off, hook up the whole gut section and flip it out there, just wait and before u know it..... fish on!!!!

4. skippy

skippy New Member

State:
    cincinnati ohio
    heres a pic of the out come from what i mentioned above. Its not a monster but I'll take a 49#er

Attached Files:

• 49.jpg
      49.jpg
      File size:
      5.4 KB
      Views:
  5. RIVER-RAT

RIVER-RAT New Member

State:
    MO / MT
    Here in Missouri, I fish the rivers mostly, and you can't do much better than freshly caught shad or skip jacks. I've tried thawed out shad but never seem to do very good unless it's fresh. If you buy a throw net and find some shad you will start catching some blues!!

6. Paraguayguy

Paraguayguy New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Fresh bloody head of shad or gut pocket. Tail section stays in the boat until the end of the trip, then its thrown in the river for whatever wants to eat it.

7. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    I agree. I generally prefer the center section with the gut pocket because I catch more fish on it, but if you are targeting really big blues, go with the head. If the shad or skipjack is small enough, cut the head off at an angle so that some of the gut pocket stays with the head.

8. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    Cut skipjack and cut shad are what works for me.

9. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele
    I like using mackeral and bonita.

10. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    I use white perch a great deal myself, we have some many of them down here and blues are used to eating them anyway.

11. Mr Phatkat

Mr Phatkat New Member

State:
    Charleston sc
    Im starting to favor white perch, over cut mullet, bream. But hands down, Menhadden is no. 1

12. nathan king

nathan king New Member

State:
    vernon tx
    Danny Kings punch bait. the best in my opinion :rolleyes:

13. MadKater

MadKater New Member

State:
    Evansville,IN
    i prefer fresh cut skip jack over all other baits for blues cut shad is a close second.if im fishing lakes where shad or skip jack arent in i use cut bluegill..head and midsection throw the tail away :)

14. bigsammy

bigsammy New Member

State:
    Poteau ok
    Best for blues round here in Oklahoma is DK punch bait,shad or skipjack.River or lake,dont much matter.

15. JAYNC

JAYNC New Member

State:
    Newport N.C.
    down here in NC its cut eels, sometimes even ,live eels. The cool part is that when you cut the head off of an eel it stays alive for hours bleeding, attracting blues flats and channels. IMHO its the perfect cat bait.

16. Txbluecatman

Txbluecatman Member

State:
    Texas
    Here in my part of texas you can't beat seasoned chicken liver for lake fishing......if you are fishing rivers live shad work great.

17. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    Spring and Fall hard to beat shad... heat of the summer has to be carp.

18. tank3544

tank3544 New Member

State:
    Fredericksburg, VA
    winter and early spring shad

post spawn summer through fall eels

19. vlparrish

vlparrish New Member

State:
    Bedford, Kentucky
    Right now the blues seem to be tearing up the shad even the small ones. I've tried them hooked live and dead and it seems they are taking the live ones a little better. Vern

20. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    The best bait I have ever found for big blues is the bait I had on when I caught my last one,which probably wasn't the same bait I had on the one before that or the one I'll be using next!!!!A good fisherman puts as many arrows in his quiver as he can,At Santee guides use mullet during the cold months almost exclusively then switch to herring ,white perch, shad etc.Not that the guides know everything and a lot of times they simply go with whats available.If you study your local waters a seasonal pattern will emerge for fish just like it does for humans.You wont see many people barbecuing in the back yard in Green Bay Wisc, during Jan.As the baitfish spawn and become available you need to be ready to switch as needed.I'm currently waiting for word that the Menahaden are in down at Santee.Most of the big cats I've been a part of catching on the James were caught with those big shad,but I'n sure eels would be excellent also.Doesn't hurt to put a variety out there either until you find out what they really prefer.