What is the average depth of the Missouri? What deep holes have you found?

Discussion in 'NEBRASKA RIVERS TALK' started by Maccurt, Nov 12, 2014.

1. Maccurt

Maccurt New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    What is the average depth of the Missouri? What deep holes have you found?

It seems to me on average I see 13-15 foot water, but I do find some 20-25 foot holes by wing dikes. I found one 30 foot hole, but saw no markers in there. What is the deepest hole you have found?

2. VanKley

VanKley Well-Known Member

State:
    SE South Dakota
    Name:
    Tom Van Kley
    43 ft. in the unchannelized stretch, 37 ft. in the channelized portion! I mainly fish the unchannelized stretch around Vermillion SD depth varies dramatically. Miles upon miles of 2-3 ft. sand flats with some 1 ft. or less, while the main channel runs 12-18 ft. on average. Lots of troughs running well over 20+. This stretch of river is much different than the Missouri you guys down there, are used to. The Mo where I fish bears much more resemblance to the Platte.

3. Maccurt

Maccurt New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    I have fished above Santee, NE (Indian reservation) and that is a whole different river system. More beautiful and natural!

4. flathead_hunter

flathead_hunter Well-Known Member

State:
    nebraska city
    Most run 20-30 I know a few that are 40-45 ish channel here average is around 15

5. Maccurt

Maccurt New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    above omaha between fort calhoun I have only seen on 30 foot hole. I guess I need to keep looking. Nexy year I am going to take this more seriously!!

6. MOVINON

MOVINON Active Member

State:
    Iowa
    Name:
    Jeff
    Used to be a deep hole at the north end of Boyer Chute that was 75ft. holes in the river are ever changing.

7. flathead_hunter

flathead_hunter Well-Known Member

State:
    nebraska city
    Come down this way next spring I'll show ya around

8. Maccurt

Maccurt New Member

State:
    Nebraska

Yes I have heard of this legendary hole. I am going to look for it next year.. EARLY.. My first year on the river taught me a lot.. and my confidence is up.. At first I was a little scared, still wary, but I feel a whole lot better doing it now.. Still need to get some anchoring techniques down.. but I know 5-6 spots where I feel comfortable doing it easily now..

9. VanKley

VanKley Well-Known Member

State:
    SE South Dakota
    Name:
    Tom Van Kley
    Maccurt, get yourself a Cat River Anchor. They will handle any situation the Mo can throw at you!

10. Maccurt

Maccurt New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    thanks.. "http://catriveranchors.com/video.htm"

11. Catgirl

Catgirl New Member

Is that the second biggest river in the U.S., after the Miss?

Moon River, wider than a mile, I'm crossin' you in style, someday. Oh dreamaker, you heart breaker, wherever I'm goin', I'm goin', your way. Two drifters, off to see a storm.......

HUH?

12. smeyer87

smeyer87 Member

State:
    Nebraska
    Found a couple in around 45 feet last year north of Blair.

13. SHAWNFISH

SHAWNFISH New Member

State:
    NEBRASKA
    id say avg is 15-20 and the deepest holes ive found were 60+ but its been a while..

14. Mkazlen1989

Mkazlen1989 New Member

State:
    Omaha
    SHAWNFISH IS BACK?!?!?!?!? Hit me up dude! I've been wanting to take you to my spot forever dude!

Catgirl likes this.
  15. Catgirl

Catgirl New Member

DUDE! You know that my great-uncle who may or may not be dead lives in OMAHA! 'Bout half of 'em are Indian names and we sent 'em to...solitary, where they must converse with their cohorts!!! Solitary is AWFUL, or so I've hurd.......

16. catfish_hunter01

catfish_hunter01 New Member

State:
    nonya
    Uh Oh, Tanya is wound up again.

17. SHAWNFISH

SHAWNFISH New Member

State:
    NEBRASKA
    the holes still there, about 4-5 yrs ago it was close to 50ft deep. the river is constantly changing and you will notice the differences each year...

18. cavillac

cavillac Active Member

State:
    Loveland,Iowa
    Is it at the north mouth of the chute? Being out there just looking around it didn't look like there was much of any holes in there anymore.

19. Done

Done Member

State:
    Nebraska
    Yeah after the 2011 flood that whole chute area changed. It doesn't look like much of a hole any more, but I don't have a boat.