What is the Allure of the Catfish?

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by Catcaller, Nov 27, 2007.

1. Catcaller

Catcaller New Member

State:
    SoutheastKansas
    All popular fish species have a dedicated following....some attracting a certain brand of person...but each one unique in its core followers.

The bass fishermen are making bank on their sport through tournaments...and tend to carry the bad rep of being arrogant and self serving...and for looking down their noses at catfishermen...because they use...Gasp!!..."Bait".

Then the trout fishing purists look down their noses at the bass fishermen.

Lol...it's the circle of life.

Many people view the catfish as a lowly bottom feeder, rough fish, or a scavenger that relies on finding dead prey because they can't catch anything else.

To these people I'd have to say that their ignorance is showing.

The catfish is a VERY adept and efficient predator...able to chase down prey consistently in water so muddy that they can't even see a foot in front of their nose in the daylight...much less in the darkness.

That all being said...I believe we're all sold on catfish in here...and don't really care what the other "BAIT" fishermen think about our choice.

Which brings me to my questions....

What was it that drew you to catfishing and keeps you coming back?

It would have been so easy to buy into the more popular choice of bass fishing.

Did catfishing draw you in because of the more laid back style...versus run and gun lure casting? The camaradery? Being able to sit, drink a fav cold beverage, listen to nature in the dark?

Or is it a traditional thing in your family? Perhaps a choice that kinda made itself...because you grew up doing it?

Myself included...how many of us spent alot of time casting lures for bass, crappie, or walleye in younger days....but later got back to your roots as a catfisherman.

With a vengeance I might add. One that doesn't catfish seriously wouldn't think that much money would be needed to fund the sport on a yearly basis.

Ya right...I wouldn't EVEN WANT to know how much I spend yearly on direct and indirect fishing related activity. (You know...all the way from buying gas to calling in sick at work and losing wages...lol :wink:)

Although crappie, walleye, whitebass/wiper, and spoonbill are still on my to do list every year....they pale in comparison to the amount of time I spend catfishing out in the river...or in one of our local 400 huge state run strip pits throughout the year.

I RARELY bass fish anymore...although I still do catch a few hawgs from time to time on live perch under a bobber in the strip pits. (back you go...so you can make more bait...lol)

Catfishing is becoming more and more popular. with there being multiple tourney trails, club tourneys, and associations springing up across the nation.

But the fact is still this...the ratio of people just out to enjoy catfishing is IMMESELY greater than those making a living off the tourney trail or guiding for that matter.

It draws a certain type of individual...one thats set apart from anglers of other species.

What's your story?

2. Flatheadhunter33

Flatheadhunter33 New Member

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    I love to catfish for a number of reasons. I've stated on this site before in other posts that catfishing gives me time to reflect. Usually when my buddy and I go, I take my oldest son with me. He and I get to talking about all sorts of things and I think that it gives him a chance to tell me things that he would'nt feel comfortable talking about around his sister and little brother.
    Also, you dont have to have deep pockets to catfish. Yeah some of us invest in good gear and creative set ups on boats...but truth be told all you need is a good rod, tough line, somewhere to sit, beverage of choice and good company!:wink:

3. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    I chase catfish, Flatheads in particular, because they are the largest freshwater fish available in my area, and because they are tougher to catch consistently than other species. I love the outdoors and communing with nature as a side benefit. Fishing is a relaxation for me from the daily grind.

4. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO
    I fish for cats because the next one is just as likely to be 103 lbs as it is to be 3 lbs.

You don't have that option with nearly any other freshwater game fish.

5. Mac-b

Mac-b Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    North Caro
    I was raised on the east coast of North Carolina and we fished for food, such as spots, croakers, blues, herrins, drum, rock fish, bass, bream, etc. Everything we caught we would either eat them when we got home or smoke them or salt them to be eaten at a later day.

As an adult I started off fly fishing for bass and large bream with my fly rod. Next was stripers and then catfish. The thing that seperates catfish from all the rest, except for the drum, is that you never know what to expect catfishing. You can be trolling along bringing in table size fish (3 to 10#) and then all of a sudden you have a hog on. That my friend is what keeps me on the water fishing for catfish. It is also what dreams are made of !

6. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
    Money was a part of it but after being on this website and others I kinda got a fondness to it. I dont like the run and gun of lure fishing (also not having a boat makes it harder) and the price of lures are stupid. I like being able to talk to people while I fish (mainly cause Im not catching anything LOL). But getting different ideas on what is needed. I did buy some expensive (to me) gear (2 abu-6500 and a couple of ugly sticks) and now I have a 9000 in my arsenal but I need another rod for that cause I dont like that 10 footer. I would have never thought of using panfish as bait (either cut or live), I was always a worm or stinkbait fisherman and content with the squealers that I was catching. Now that Ive been at it for a couple of years (more towards bigger fish) I havnt caught any big ones 10 lbs or less but Im working towards catching something big and when I do it will be all because of what Ive actually learned and used. I like it cause its something that can be taught very easily and if I had the patience with my boys (mainly the youngest) I could let him fish more LOL. I like the fact that I can be shore or boat and catch something and sometimes talk to the wiser fellas or chickas and learn even more.

7. baitchunker

baitchunker New Member

State:
    alabama
    i m that guy you were talkin about who was born into it. yes, i have and continue to target other species both fresh and saltwater...

but, my fishin began sitting on a bank with a cane pole and some worms, askin whoever if i could cast thier "big boy" rods. catfishing was the most accessable by youth. it didnt hurt that my dad used to run trot lines and sell the fillets to a local catfish restraunt. i remember draggin the deep side of a sein net trying to catch bait when i was about 9. i liked the deep side because thier was less skeeter exposure.

i fished with Amy a lot in california, for trout and bass. the first trip we took down here was to my favorite fishing hole in the whole wide world. a big clay bank on the inside turn of a bend in the alabama river. it was cold that night. we played some ol B.B. King tunes on a portable cd player, burned some candles, drank some wine, and she cought her very first catfish. about a 8-9# flat. now its her fav. too. i cant wait to teach my delinquents how to piss off the owls, throw a cast net, and work the drag on a good cat.

i swear i can smell the muddy water of the Alabama River from anywhere on the planet. and it smells gooooood.

8. fshnutz

fshnutz New Member

State:
    Sacramento California
    For me it was a mixture. When I moved from Washington state down here to California, Catfish was the only fish I could target at the time. I have since learned to love it and consider catfish my #1 species. However, I fish every chance I get (3 times a week or more in the dry season) and I target bass, salmon, striper, trout, carp and everthing else under the sun!! If it has fins I will try to catch it.
    Linz:wink:

9. floundahman

floundahman New Member

State:
    North Caro
    I moved from near the coast in MA to 300+ miles inland in NC. Growing up I had fished tidal rivers for stripers, blues, white perch, and scup. Catfish fishing was the closest thing to what I was familiar with (and set up for). I still catch a striper now and then but I'm hooked on catfish fishing!

10. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    Why I catfish?

1. That's how I got started fishing. Many of us sttrted out catching sunfish, trout, or bass as our very firs fish. For me, i was catchifis, channel cat to be specific.

2. I like the laid-backness of catfishing. I enjoy casting out a bait whether live or dead and wait for something to come by and hoover it up. Enjoying a favorite cold beverage, cigar, and sounds of the river is great to.

3. I LIKE BIG FISH! I firmly believe the flathead catfish is the biggest fish in my local river. Hunting big fish is what it's all about for me. No need to catch fish like trout and bass.

11. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    Why I catfish?

1. That's how I got started fishing. Many of us started out catching sunfish, trout, or bass as our very first fish. For me, it was catcfish, channel cat to be specific.

2. I like the laid-backness of catfishing. I enjoy casting out a bait whether live or dead and wait for something to come by and hoover it up. Enjoying a favorite cold beverage, cigar, and sounds of the river is great to.

3. I LIKE BIG FISH! I firmly believe the flathead catfish is the biggest fish in my local river. Hunting big fish is what it's all about for me. No need to catch fish like trout and bass.

12. Ketch

Ketch New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    I do love the laid back nature of catfishing. Nothing beats a nice night sitting on the bank waiting for your clicker to take off.

I fish or have fished most freshwater and some saltwater species of fish because I moved around so much as a kid. We bass fished and shore casted in Florida. We fished gar in Texas. I fish walleye and pike in Minnesota. In the Dakota's we spent a lot of time panfishing and searching for perch. Regardless of where I lived, I could always find catfish.

Also, I like BIG fish. How many states can't you catch a 20 pound cat. How about really big fish? How many species go over 50 pounds in your state? I only have 4 fish I can fish for in MN with hopes of a 50. I can fish lake sturgeon (94 lb record), carp (55 lb record), muskie (54 lb record), or flathead (70 lb record). I've never caught a lake sturgeon (only shovelnosed). I target carp occasionally and for about a month or so a year I spend a lot of time searching for the elusive "legal" muskie (depending on the lake, that may be 48"). Of those 4 species, I have only seen fish over 50 pounds for one species and I have seen several flats that big (all someone else caught). It looks like that's my best chance at a fish of a lifetime in this state.

Then there are the other things about cats that help their allure.
    -They taste good.
    -The small ones are easy to catch.
    -They fight good.
    -My 8 yr old daughter thinks they are COOL.

That's why I target them.

13. tomflatcat

tomflatcat New Member

State:
    Hampstead, NC
    I used to bass fish until I caught my first flathead last year. A 5 pound bass is a once in life time fish for a lot of people but with catfish the smallest ones I've caught are 5 pounds. What are the possibilties of catching a 50 pound bass? I figure if I'm going to be on the water I might as well target the largest possible fish. My personal best is still a 14 pound flathead but I would never get to 14 pounds bass fishing.

14. sarSWAMPFOX

sarSWAMPFOX New Member

State:
    Union, South Caroilna
    What is the Allure of the Catfish?

Well for me I grew up into cat fishing. As a young un I would fish with my dad for all the local fish species ( Bass , Bream , Crappie , & Channel Cats ), never really any trophies just eating size. But when I was about 12 yrs old maybe I went fishing with my uncle and boy did he fish differently than my dad LOL. He used monster rods & reels baits large enough to fillet and fry. And would set for hours without a nibble. But when his rod bent over and that little old man went to fighting a monster of a cat fish, MAN LET ME TELL YOU I WAS HOOKED! No bass or other fish put up a fight like that. I still love to catch a stringer off eating size cats, but the trophies are really what keeps me spending so much time & money perusing cat fish.

15. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    I started as a kid going to the city park to fish for the big catfish alot of the folks put in there for us kids to catch. So I told myself that I was a catfisherman lol. Then one year my dad took me and my brother and cousin to an all night catfish derby on a local lake. We didn't catch anything on our worms lol but around midnight a guy brought a 40+lb fish to the weigh in area. They had it laying on the tailgate of an old chevy love pick-up, and the fish was hanging off both ends. It was a flathead, and the biggest fish I had ever seen in my 10 or 11 years. From that night on I was hooked, no going back. Never did find out how much in weighed cause dad had to get some sleep, but WOW. I can still picture that fish 30 years later.

16. caneycat

caneycat New Member

State:
    Texas
    I fish for cats becose thay get big, thare is a lot of cats big and small were i fish, thay hit the bait hard, thay fight hard, thay will hit all most any bait you put in the water and thay are fun to catch no mater what you catch on trotline, jug and R&R!

17. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    I believe that I do it for the sheer size of the fish. Just seeing one on the end of your rod or anyone else's gets the heart pumpin'! I absolutely love to bass fish as well, I guess I like them both b/c they are pretty much polar opposites. I do both to keep myself evened out I guess.

18. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    I agree man, I love catching all kinds of fish. This spring I'm gonna try my hand at Muskie fishing for the first time lol. But back to catfish, any guy out there who has never fought a 40+lb fish is in for a real treat when they finally do. I mean you can catch all the 10lb carp you want or 5lb bass you can but till you feel the fight in a forty pound flat or blue you haven't tangled with a freshwater giant. I do make concessions for those of you that have caught spoonbill or big gar, or maybe sturgeon. But those are like musky, lots of travel and limited fish. Catfish are everywhere there is water lol. And anywhere there are catfish you have a legit shot at a 40+. You can fish your whole life and never even hear of a 40lb largemouth lol.

19. chrisblue

chrisblue New Member

State:
    SC
    Theres way to many reasons for me to list as to why I like catfishin but the seed got planted when I was almost 4 years old and a 4 1/2 lb channel cat almost pulled me in my grandpa's pond.

I remember it like it was yesterday and I remimber my grandpa laughin.Now I know why he was laughin and it was because he knew from that moment I was hooked.

Now I'm fortunate enough to guide for these fish and be able witness alot of peoples first catfish moments or first big catfish moments as they moan and groan and laugh and everytime I am takin back to that day when my grandpa was laughin at me.Nothin compares to that feelin.

I love catchin all species of fish but nothin compares to the wiskered specimens.Just somethin special about them to me.:big_smile:

20. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    Couldn't have said anything better man. I get more out of taking guys on the river that have never caught more than a squealer. Just to see them catch an 8 or 12 or 20lb flathead for the first time. I love the reactions, these guys fished for years and never caught a 10lb fish of any kind. When they hook into a 10lb flat their eyes get big like they just seen a bigfoot lol. Their voice gets higher picthed, their legs start to shake LOL. I get more enjoyment outta that than catching a 40 all alone you know?