what is the advantage to a sickle hook???

Discussion in 'Terminal Tackle Review' started by Jeremy Sheffey, Jan 28, 2010.

1. Jeremy Sheffey

Jeremy Sheffey New Member

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    I have used J's for years, now im into circle hooks, however i keep reading about these sickles. what is the Advantage they have over J hooks and Circle hooks? i have heard how sharp they are, but so are my Gamas. Why would you tell someone to switch over to them from a J or Circle?

2. BIG_D

BIG_D New Member

State:
    Batchtown IL.
    the sickle can be fished two ways like a kahle you can set the hook or let the fish hook them self i love sickles and talk about sharp gamas are dull comepaired to sickles

3. Wanda BARNER

Wanda BARNER Active Member

State:
    Missouri
    Name:
    Wanda
    We fish both at times. If you are drifting, it seems the sickle will hang more timber. I think this is because they are so sharp, and the point is not turned in so much as the circle. I would call them dangerious sharp. It does seem when anchored, and the fish are just tapping , you will hook up more withe sickle hooks. So i guess I have to say both are good at times and different presentations. If I was made to chose only one , I would go with the circle.

4. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    How are ya doin Wanda? Keeping Ron out of trouble? LOL We are getting another ridge gathering going. Hope you guys make it!!

5. brownie525

brownie525 New Member

State:
    Nj

just what Dallas said, you can fish them like a circle or set them yourself like a j-hook. And the sickles make the gamas look like butter knives, scary sharp:shock:

6. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT New Member

The only sickle hooks i,ve tried have been the Gama Big River hooks in size 12/0 for the last couple years.They,re a nice hook for your really big baits.Definitely heavy duty.I just fish them like any other J hook though.I really don,t see why they,d hook fish by themselves any better than any other sharp J hook with a good offset.I got nothing against them,but I hate losing too many of those bigrivers at $2+ a pop.I,m not debating how sharp some hooks are out of the box,I know some of the diachis and gamas are like razors,but I usually touch all my hooks up with a hook hone before I fish em.It only takes me about 30 seconds and they are just as sharp or else damn close to it.

7. I like them, though I use mostly circles, just another type of J hook. I like the bends in the sickle though, seems less likely to bounce out of a cats mouth when ya wanna wack one. ;):sigarette:

8. Jeremy Sheffey

Jeremy Sheffey New Member

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    sounds like i dont need to be in a rush to get them, but when i run out of my big J hooks i will be going to get a pack or two of them to try...

9. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    I agree with Dallas on this one. Sharpest hook I have ever tried to Snell. Draw blood almost every time. I like the larger sizes that Pete now has for sale also.