what is strong, easy tying knot to tie together a braided line to monofilament?

Discussion in 'Fishing Line Review' started by fishinnstudyin, Jan 10, 2007.

1. fishinnstudyin

fishinnstudyin New Member

State:
    MO
    I read that some knots don't work for braided.. So on my 12 lb mono backing, how do I tie 80 lb Powerpro??

Thanks

2. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

I would think an albright knot would work just fine. Some of the guys were also saying that you could use a backer of tape are something along those lines instead of mono. If I understand this correctly you just wrap you spool with some tape and it will help the braid grip the spool. I am sure some of the braid guys will give you better info than I can though.

3. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    Uni-knot is all you need to know.:smile2:

When braids were first introduced, I drilled small holes in the arbors of a couple of spools, so that I could make a "hard" connection, and that worked, too.

4. fishinnstudyin

State:
    MO
    you mean a double uni?? mono backing, then 150 yards of braid?

hmm.. is there a website with drawings?

5. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    I agree with Benji. Most of your braided line comes with a small book showin ya the albrite knot and how to tie it,along with a recomendation that it is what you use. Its a bit tricky at first,but easily mastered.

6. jason454ci

jason454ci Active Member

State:
    Zanesville, Ohi
  7. pk_powell

pk_powell New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Why cant you place a two way swivel between the braid and the mono? Seems to me that would be the easiest way to go.:0a36:

8. trnsmsn

trnsmsn New Member

State:
    Missouri Originally Now I
    That would create a big bulge in a certain spot on the spool. He wasn't going to use a braided leader, he wanted to "spool" up his reel. The braided line will slip around your spool as if though the drag was being used. Most spools don't have holes drilled in them to make a "mechanical" connection.

HTH, Elliot

9. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Pat, I think he is toalking about a connection that will be deep in the spool. The swivel wouldnt' come through the guides and wrap on the spool too well.

I don't know the albright, so I don't use it. Just too lazy to learn I guess.

I have had bad luck with the uni knot in braid to mono. The braid can cut th emono pretty easily. That depends on the diameter of the braid, though.

For attaching a leader of mono to a spool full of braided running line (Fireline) I have been using a ne wknot I read about somewhere recently. I don't know if it has a name, but it is basically a cross between a figure eight and a surgeon's knot. You do 2 passes through an overhad loop, like for a surgeons knot, then, with the big loop still loose, you change direction, like a figure eight, and do two more loops. I have had very good luck with this so far.

10. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    The double uni-knot works great, as well as the albright. I use both, depending on the size of the line. If the mono is heavy, I use the albright, otherwise I use the double uni. :big_smile:

11. fishinnstudyin

State:
    MO
    i always thought the albright knot was only used to connect mono backing onto the fly reel itself. never realized it could be used to connect braid to mono.. if i use the mono to put the braid on, the braid will have to be tied with an albright, but do i put a knot on the mono as well to hold it up?? im a little confused b/c its a little difficult to picture tying an albright with braid on mono b/c the mono isnt in the shape of a reel. do i bought a small double surgeons loop on the mono or something so it can hold?

12. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
  13. catfishtonyd

catfishtonyd New Member

State:
    georgia
    I use the double uni knot. I put 4 loops in the mono end and 6 loops in the braid end. I have never had this fail. Once you tie it a time or two its a piece of cake. I like the uni knot so well that I use it on my hooks as well. Its an easy knot for my tired old hands and eyes to see and tie. And its a very strong knot. Small diameter also.

14. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Name:
    your first name
    Ive tied a couple with the uni to uni knot just to know I could, but I couldnt begin to describe it. Id have to look at illustrations to tie it again but thats the way Powerpro instructions recommended. Also I tie braid to the spool then black tape it as even as I can, so far so good.

15. bilyjojimbob

bilyjojimbob New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    dont know the lingo, but i tie a loop in the end of the mono and then tie the woven normally as you would to a leader.

16. GoFish_Tony

GoFish_Tony New Member

State:
    Big Rock, IL
    It takes a little pactice but the knot that PowerPro recommends is the Uni to Uni Splice.

Your package of PowerPro line will come with a booklet on how to tie this knot. I've encluded a link HERE for others that might need it.

For more knots from PowerPro look HERE.

Best of luck to you,
    Tony
    _

17. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    Stick a piece of tape on the mono to hold the end down, tie the braided with an arbor or uni knot like it was just the arbor.