What is Stoop's problem??

Discussion in 'Ersel's Gridiron Talk' started by KansasKatter, Jan 3, 2008.

1. KansasKatter

KansasKatter New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    Let me start off by saying I am as big a Sooner fan as there is, and used to be a Stoops fan, but I think it is time for him to go.

Before you start throwing tomatoes, and striking up the band to play Boomer Sooner, let me explain.

He can't get his team ready to play a big game. He has lost his last 4 BCS games in a row now, to teams who should not even be able to play with them. Last night was down right embarassing!:confused2:

I don't want to hear any of the "they are a young team", or "they had to many injuries" either, because like I said, they have lost their last 4 bowl games, you can't be "to young" for that many years.

My personal belief is the problem lies in the type of player OU recruits. I think the pre-madonnas that Stoops brings to OU are so used to playing for championships all their lives, that it becomes an "all or nothing" scenerio for them, and if they are not playing for the national championship, they just simply lose interest. Kind of a "what's in it for me" attitude that many of them have.

He needs to recruit more players like WV, hungry guys, that want to win out of pride, not necessarily just when a trophy or title is involved.:cool2:

2. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    It is not Stoops. He is not the one dropping passes. He is not the one with his head stuck up his armpit and getting these ridicolous penalties which kill drives or keeps the opposing drive going. It is not Stoops shop lifting coats from Burlington Coat factory, or taking money for hours not worked. I can not believe that anyone can be dogging Stoops and let Mac Brown have free rides. I was not happy with last night performance, but I don't have to watch them for another 8 months either. lOL

3. KansasKatter

KansasKatter New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    LOL that is the only good thing that I can say about them too!

Stoops is not the one doing all those things, but Stoops IS the one who is responsilbe for both RECRUITING them, and GETTING THEM READY TO PLAY. It is obviouse last night, to ANYONE who knows anything about football, that his team was no where near ready to play last night. You can not tell me that with the caliber of athletes on the OU squad, they can not muster up more than 1 yard total offense in a quarter??:eek:oooh:

They were slow, flat footed, did not know their assignments, and looked as though they had no interest in playing last night at all, if you ask me. And ALL of those things I just mentioned, ARE the head coaches responsibility to make sure they happen.

As for the rest of your questions about Stoops's responsabilities, a TON can be said about a coach based on the character of the players he recruits, and the kind of men they become while under the coach's watch, for a number of years now, OU has had some character related issues with players, and their actions, that have affected the team in a very negative way, my thinking is you take a better look at both the character, and more importantly the HEART of a player, rather than his 40 time or his vertical leap when you are courting him to come to your program.

As for giving Mack Brown a free pass......he can have all the free passes he wants, it is the only thing that keeps OU running over them every year. I am not a Texas fan, so could care less what kinds of things he f's up.:wink::smile2:

4. MattShannon

MattShannon New Member

State:
    WV
    I wound'nt accuse any coach of being a bad coach if they had a NC and 4BCS bowl appearences under there belt. That's all I've been hearing on ESPN today. The reason they lost is they played a good team. I havn't heard anyone say that. Come on, give WV some credit. How can you say they were a team that shouldn't be able to come close to beating OU? WV is a good team and they played there best game last night. OU is a good team and didn't play there best game last night. OU couldn't handle the pressure from WV's D and the speed from there O. It doesn't mean Stoop can't coach. I'm not sure if OU has ever played a 3-3-5D and a spread offense with that much speed. On the other hand WV has played teams that move the ball like OU. Give OU a rematch and things may be different. OU did make the offensive adjustments they needed. They started running the ball on the left side, opposite of Dingle, and started running over WV. They just could'nt get their defense in the right position to stop the speed.

5. baitchunker

baitchunker New Member

State:
    alabama
    stoops is responsible for recruiting and coaching. its up to players to execute during the game.

have ya considered that maybe oklahoma and the big 12 are overrated? those wvu kids aint just hungry for glory and respect, they are fast as lightning. how is it that an offensive line that outweighs the def. line by 30# a player cant stop penetration? speed, and intensity.

6. KansasKatter

KansasKatter New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    My bad, I did not mean to imply WV as not being a good team, I was alluding more to the past teams, like Boise State, and Kansas State a few years back in the Big 12 championship game. WV was and is definately the better team, and proved it last night.

There is no doubt the Big 12 is overated, and that make OU the most overated of all, considering they are the Big 12 champs. My point is, yes they HAVE been to 4 BCS games, and LOST ALL 4! And were FAVORED in all 4.

I don't care if they have NOT seen that type of D or speed all year, they had a month to prepare for it......Stoops job, and to have the kids mentally ready to take the field.....Stoops job, and last night, they were neither of the two, you could tell less than half way through the first quarter they looked lost, slow, and unmotivated.....sad!

True, a good team can beat ANY other good team on any given night, and WV is a very good team, but for a different reason than OU is considered a good team. WV was ready to play, knew what they were doing, motivated, and just ready to whip their butts, which is what they did. All of those things are a direct result of being prepared, and motivated to play, both of which are the coach's job!

BTW - you can have a bad game and get beat once in a while, but 4 times in a row?? When it starts happening on a regular basis, like losing 4 of 5, it starts becoming a trend, which begins with the leader, something is missing there, is all I am saying.

7. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    How many teams have played in all 4 bcs bowls? Not many, and at least OU has wins in the Rose Bowl - pretty good for a team not in the Pac-10/Big-10... Actually, Texas is there also (the rose, not all 4 bowls). Sure, it is nice to win, but it is almost as nice to set back and reflect on past accomplishments.

8. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    i wouldn't beat yourself up too much bro. i watched WV many times this year, and let me say, and im a BUCKEYE!! WV is a very good all-around team.. i can't speak for the Sooners other bowl losses, but i really felt the better team won...rollo

9. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    I have to agree. I think Stoops problem last night was simply a Motivated WVU team that wanted to win worse than OK.
    I had OU picked to win...lost that big time!:smile2:

10. dahoss2002

dahoss2002 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Correctamundo!! WV was unstoppable and played like they were possessed!
    Stoops will have to do alot worse than make it to BCS bowls to get fired. I think he's done a great job at OU bringing them out of a drought started by NCAA sanctions then Snellenberger. Surely yall dont wanna bring Howard back:wink:

11. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    Stoops must take the whole blame for last night's fiasco. He did not prepare his team to play the kind of spread offense that the Mountaineers run. They are too used to playing teams like Texas, Kansas, and Missouri that runs a different kind of offense.

That said, you can also blame West Virginia for last night's fiasco too! They pretty much stopped the Sooner's run game and if Oklahoma didn't have excellent punt/kick returns all night, it would have been worst (more like 48 to 10). Pat White proved to the whole world that you don't need to throw 20 or 30 times a game to win and beat a good team. Even without injured star running back Steve Slaton, they were able to get past the injuries and guys like Owen Schmitt and Noel Devine stepped it up majorly!

12. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    West Virginia was inspired.

OU reminded me of Ohio State last year. The way OU tore up Mizzou makes me think last nights game was not representative of Sooner football.

That is what makes College football so exciting in that on any given day, ANY team can get it done.

WVU looked as sharp as any last night.... definitely better than they looked against Pitt.

13. Gordhawk

Gordhawk New Member

State:
    Iowa
    If you're ready to throw him under the bus,just send him on up here to where he played his college football. We will be more than happy to take him off of your hands.
    I was just wondering,was he a good coach this year when you won? I would be willing to bet that you thought he was a pretty good coach during each of those 11 wins. I don't think he would have a problem finding another head coaching job if the Sooners are tired of him. I think the biggest problem is that the Big 12 Conference overall is a pretty weak conference,and the competition during conference play is not that good week in and week out.
    I think another thing that really contributed to WV's big win was the motivation that the WV players had to show their ex-coach Rodriguez that they didn't need him to win!
    Anyway,as I said earlier when you're ready to get rid of Stoops,just send him back home to the University of Iowa.

14. jlingle

jlingle New Member

State:
    Altus, Okl
    Stoops is overrated.... blah blah blah.... big 12 is overrated.....blah blah blah

yeah

15. jlingle

jlingle New Member

State:
    Altus, Okl
    Stoops isn't a bad coach. The big 12 isn't over-rated. The sky isn't falling. The sun will come up tomorrow.

No, I can't explain why we've tanked the last 4 bcs games we've played in, jeeze.... no clue on that one, but the guys just weren't ready to take up the slack last night. We were missing 4, possibly 5 phenomenal football players during the game last night, and WV played out of their gourds. If you don't think Malcolm Kelly, DeMarco Murray, Reggie Smith, Lindy Holmes, and that IDIOT defensive lineman would've helped us out lastnight, then you just haven't watched much OU football. I'd say 4 of those 5 guys are possible 1st round picks. Now, what football team on earth could lose those type players and come out and play well? Please enlighten me.

The Sooners got beat by a football team that wanted the win more than we did. Simple as that. We got took to the woodshed. That doesn't mean our coach sucks or we need to ditch the whole offensive system. We just go home, lick our wounds, continue to recruit well, and come out and try to run the table next year.