What is skipjack?

Discussion in 'LOCAL GEORGIA TALK' started by paul c, Jan 13, 2010.

1. paul c

paul c New Member

State:
    sparks ga
    Can someone please tell me what is skipjack & how & where do you catch it?

2. yellingrebel78

yellingrebel78 New Member

State:
    georgia
    its a herring and there are only in some places I geuss because I have never seen one but did some researching on the as far as I know of there is none here were I'm at

3. Catfishboy1995

Catfishboy1995 New Member

State:
    Council Bluffs
    Yellingreble is right it is a herring that makes great blue and channel atfish bait..You may beable to get some on the internet but there in limited ppalce in the country..

4. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
  5. Jeremy Sheffey

Jeremy Sheffey New Member

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    they are def good bait, and although some dont talk about it, they are fun to catch too. especially on light tackle or on a sabiki rig when you hook up with a couple of them at one time. it can really get interesting.

6. Bait Bandit

Bait Bandit New Member

State:
    West Georg
    Paul, I ask the same question back in the fall and have yet to see one dead or alive, I think there a urban myth.:laugh1:

7. efrith

efrith New Member

State:
    Seale Alabama
    Yep they are the best bait around for catfish the Chattahoochee river has a good population of skipjack herring. This year the river has been bad to us and the skips have been hard to find but I can't wait till this spring to load the freezer full.
    I catch them on small hand tied deer hair jigs brown, white and red/white from 1/32 to 1/4 oz heads and on hand tied flies on fly rod.

8. yellingrebel78

yellingrebel78 New Member

State:
    georgia
    Eddy if you get more than you can use how about sending some up my way who knows that world record blue could be laying up here in the coosa and that what he or she waiting on:laugh1:

9. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    Use the search feature or check out the skipjack section. There is a ton of information on them.

Good reading...W

10. efrith

efrith New Member

State:
    Seale Alabama
    I'll do what I can brother

11. Big Sam

Big Sam Well-Known Member

State:
    Booneville AR
    Name:
    Sam
    The skip-jack is an elusive temptation for fisherman & Big blues! There mere presence could be deemed "Holy":angel: The Blues tremble with excitement as a freshley cut skip enters the water after a rigorus ceremony:messed: They can bring sucess to day that normally spells doom..:rain: Their mighty presence is sought by many:meeting: but known only to a few..the few that brave the challenge, time and $$$ it takes to track them down:soldier: Then there is the "catch" once a ceremonial grade skip is caught (17 inches min) it must be cared for with loving hands:love: and stored with the ut-most care...They must be guarded 24-7 from intruders wishing to help themselves to the solid gold prize!!!Then comes the day for action!!! What a day it could be for those who rig their tackle with the strongest line , the best hooks, and strongest rods and reels.....I am gonna have to stop now and go home to check my alarm system on the freezer!!!!

12. PHLIPS4BIGKATS

PHLIPS4BIGKATS New Member

State:
    Alma Kansas

Now thats funny.:laugh1::laugh1::laugh1:

13. catmanoneufala

catmanoneufala New Member

State:
    seale,alabama
    try fishing at dams, using crappie jigs in white , green, pink.. i use hair jigs or curly tail jigs and vary your colors.. tail races seem to be the best in the spring . in the winter its hard to say. they are hard to find this time of the year around hear ...best of luck

14. RockyS

RockyS New Member

State:
    Conyers, Ga
    Does anyone fish skips alive? Ive been using shad (live and cut). I just bought a new 40 gal Vest bait tank to replace my homemade 30gal.

15. catfish1083

catfish1083 New Member

State:
    georgia
    it is very hard to keep a skip alive i have not been able too but i have heard a few stories!

16. RockyS

RockyS New Member

State:
    Conyers, Ga
    I know some people who striper fish with live skips. I was wondering if you can do the same with catfish and have success.

17. efrith

efrith New Member

State:
    Seale Alabama
    I have fished them live below the dam in Columbus in the spring for catfish.
    If you use them as soon as you catch them they will stay alive for as long as you are fishing in current.
    It is very hard to keep skips alive in a tank but in spring when the water is still coll and well oxygenated you can keep some in the bait tank most of the day.I always keep the smaller ones in the tank and cut the bigger ones up.

18. RockyS

RockyS New Member

State:
    Conyers, Ga
    Thanks. Are skips even legal to fish alive in a water that they are not native to?

19. stumpjumper

stumpjumper New Member

State:
    Dallas, GA
    When it's all said and done I would always use native baits. If I was fishing Santee, I'd use white perch. If I was fishing the Wabash, I'd use suckers or bream.

Rocky, I'm not sure if it's legal; probably not.