What is really the best carp hook?

Discussion in 'Carp Fishing' started by PaJay-p, Nov 3, 2009.

1. PaJay-p

PaJay-p Guest

What hook do you use and size? I usually use the hair rig setup.

2. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT New Member

I do a lot of carp fishing every year Jay.I use a couple of the 8ft Ugly cats set up with Abu 6500,s and 65# braid.I spent a couple years and a lot of dough trying to find a hook they couldn,t straighten out with braid.A lot of the specialty carp hooks will work to some degree but you pay through the ass for em.About 5 years ago I found one reasonable that will do the job well.It,s the Mustad Big Gun livebait hook.You see em a lot for cats,but not in the smaller sizes.The one place that does carry em in the right size is Cabelas,but NOT in any of there regular fishing catalogs or any of the stores I,ve been in,they only carry them in their Saltwater Fishing catalog which you gotta call them up and ask for.Probaly on-line too,but I never tried that way.The item # is NZ-31-4273.I use em in sizes 4,2,and 1.They got the good sharp opti-angle needlepoints,black nickle finish,chemically sharpened.In short,they,re sharper and hell and I aint never been able to straighten one yet.I got a couple spots with a lot of steel I beams they like to run to,and they aint made it to none of them yet.The price is $9.99 for 25,not cheap,but not too bad for the way they hold up.They beat out a good 20 different kinds I tried to make it to the top of the list.Good fishin brother,we,ll have to get together for some carpin some time!:wink:

3. BIG_D

BIG_D New Member

State:
    Batchtown IL.
    i use a plain ol #4 treble

4. Eich

Eich New Member

State:
    Mount Joy,
    Jay,

Definitely stay away from Eagle Claw. Knock on wood, I haven't ever lost a carp using them, but the hooks have broken while unhooking fish on several occassions, so I stay away from them. Nash tackle makes a good hook. Gamagatsu (sp) hooks (live bait hooks) 2X strong in size 2 or 4. Scorpion Tackle makes a hook they call a "fang" hook. Again in 2x strong size 2 or 4. All these are good hooks. :wink:

Ray

5. Pip

Pip New Member

State:
    pa
    4/0 sickle hook on a hair rig. Seemed to work pretty good this past summer. Was experimenting with the hooks I got off Pete from WildWolf. 11 carp(8lb up to 27lb) off a chumbag I put in the water the day before. As sharp as they are, thats a sweet hook for carp.

6. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    I use the same as Dallas.

7. waynesburgjay

waynesburgjay New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    A #6 or #8 is usually what I would use, but I only use corn for carp

8. playin4funami

playin4funami New Member

State:
    Saronville Ne.
    gama wide gap finesse walleye hooks do a respectable job,tough, sharp, and fairly easy to find,but like all gamas a little on the pricey side,pack of 5 hooks is 2.88 at wal-mart.

9. Dutch

Dutch New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    I use size 1 or 2 Gamakatsu octopus or octopus circle. I mostly with fish corn or crawlers