What is Punchbait?

Discussion in 'LOCAL OKLAHOMA TALK' started by Snakebite, Jun 1, 2009.

1. Snakebite

Snakebite New Member

State:
    Creek Co. , Oklahoma
    Alot of catfishermen mention using punchbait , but i have no idea what it is , could ya'll please explain & give some of your famous recipes' .

Thanx,
    Bruce

2. centexcop

centexcop Well-Known Member

State:
    Texas
    It's a prepared, commercially marketed, bait that you punch a hook down into and pull it out. I'm not a huge fan of it, but it does have its purpose and it does work for channels and sometimes blues.

Check your local bait shop or Wal-Mart for some.

There's tons of manufacturers out there. I've tried a couple of times to make my own recipe, but haven't found the secret yet.....:eek:oooh:

3. Snakebite

Snakebite New Member

State:
    Creek Co. , Oklahoma
    Thank you centexcop , nice truck by the way !

4. centexcop

centexcop Well-Known Member

State:
    Texas
    You're welcome and thanks. Welcome to the BOC

5. Cherokee Rod Man

Cherokee Rod Man New Member

State:
    Eufaula La
    Bruce welcome; If you want channels it's a darn good bait, it also comes in blood formula as well. From my experience with Danny Kings start with the Quart size, you can bait a treble easier with this size container. Every time you bait up & cast to a spot your esentially chumming the area, I've personally caught up to 100 channels in one spot using this stuff. TIP....take along some granulated detergent to wash your hands with afterwards {an old trick from Danny King}......good luck!!!:big_smile:

6. rigrunner(236)

rigrunner(236) New Member

State:
    Ft Cobb Lake, Oklahoma
    I've also had very good luck on punch bait. You may not get the huge catfish, but you'll catch plenty of good eaters, 2 to 10 lbs., that's my experience with it. Good luck fishing.

7. rigrunner(236)

rigrunner(236) New Member

State:
    Ft Cobb Lake, Oklahoma
    I always use a #4 treble hook for the punch bait. I made a punch out of stiff wire to push the hook down in the bait. Most bait stores handles punch bait. Every fisherman has his own preference for who makes it. Hope this helps.

8. loop

loop New Member

State:
    Newkirk,Oklahom
    Punch bait is a thick dip bait useually a cheese based bait with minnows or shad chunks and cattails mixed in.You do not need a dip worm to use it a treble hook is what it is design for you puch the hook down in it and drag the hook out at a angle. You can use other hooks with it but you will have to nead the bait around the hook like a dough bait. Some of the best known are Benny Roberts and Danny King, one I like is Rockies its not widely known but works as good as any of the punch baits. It's not for hugh fish but for numbers to stock the freezer. Hope this helps.
    Loop

9. Snakebite

Snakebite New Member

State:
    Creek Co. , Oklahoma
    Thank you all for the info my Brothers , YOU ROCK !!!!!!!