What Is New...on the truck,Glad you ask!!

Discussion in '4X4 Truck Talk and Repairs' started by TOPS, Oct 4, 2009.

1. TOPS

TOPS New Member

State:
    Cabot,Arkansas
    The Truck has: new long block engine, new water pump, new distributor, to include plugs, wires, cap, rotor button, coil, ignition module, shifter, cruse control buttons, battery, fuel filter, air filter,and thermostat. The truck still will not start but I have troubleshot the problem down to weak fuel pump, I may need to buy one, will check the fuel pressure after I put the new fuel filter on.

I still wont to buy a new windshield, the one on it is cracked all the way across, new front brake pads, new rear brake shoes,new wheel bearings, new tires, back-up camera, battery isolator to charge a second battery,the second battery will run my inverter to my bait freezer until I get to the camp grounds, I would like to put duel exhaust on the truck, I will buy one item at a time until it is fixed.

2. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Tops congrats on the NEW truck.:wink: Its been a long time coming. You have your heart and soul tied up in it. Now enjoy the ride.

3. TOPS

TOPS New Member

State:
    Cabot,Arkansas
    The truck still not running that thing is possessed, not firing, just bought a new coil, nothing new distributor, nothing I am sick of that darn thing!

4. dinger66

dinger66 New Member

State:
    north alabama
    got to have fire :wink:

5. GrandpaGoneFishing

GrandpaGoneFishing New Member

State:
    Linn Valley, Ks
    Sounds like my old 4 x 4. Love that old truck but nothing goes easy with her. hang in there, when it all comes together and fires up It'll seem worth it. Always does for me.
    :cool2:​

6. cantstopgrandma

cantstopgrandma New Member

State:
    MD
    Sounds like my 98 s10. We have a Love-Hate Relationship......When she's running right and not giving me any problems, I love her. When she's giving me problems (like last year when i spent a ton of money on it for various problems), I hate it and all i can think about is getting rid of it. Good luck with your truck!! I bet you still have a lot less into it than a new one!

7. ammo warrior

ammo warrior Member

State:
    Columbia, MO
    I bet you're gonna be a proud papa when you get your baby fired up :cool2:

8. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Shade tree mechanicing will drive you nuts.
    Get that thing to a dealership or a shop with certified technicians.

Money well spent.
    Beats the hell out of buying and trying.

9. arkrivercatman

arkrivercatman New Member

State:
    KS
    I agree with Mark.:crazy::smile2:
    Been down that road before. MUCH cheaper to pay a professional.
    Ive spent a couple hundred bucks trying to fix something that costs less than 20 bucks before.
    Too many parts, sensors and crap for me to even waste my time.:big_smile:

10. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Vehicles these days have gone way beyond the shadetree mechanic other then for the basics like changing starters or alternators.

Too many hidden modules and relays working off relays and computers.
    That's what happended to the filling station with a garage bay or two.
    Folks got to go to school now to work on the stuff and then be able to afford thousands in diagnostic equipment.

I won't even go to a shop that don't have the equipment. Those guys without it will part you to death guessing.

That labor rate may seem high at first glance but what it saves you makes it cheap.

I used to enjoy turning wrenches when all it was was a carb and an engine under the hood. These days, I got an independent certified garage owner on speed dial. I'll change the shocks and the brakes, and he can have the rest.

I aint in to all this loosening motor mounts to jack an engine so you can change the plugs. No siree. My play time is too valuable.

11. catman-j

catman-j New Member

State:
    Eastern Nebr
    Check for a fuel pressure regulator, it might be right next to the schrader valve on the fuel rail. It could be gummed up from sitting. You'll need some snap ring pliers to remove it.

12. playin4funami

playin4funami New Member

State:
    Saronville Ne.
    you can check the fuel pump by using a multimeter on the plug in for the fuel pump relay switch,I can tell you how on a chevy but don't know on a ford,you cross the pos. going to the pump with the ruturn wire to the switch and you should have at least 9 amps,if anything less is returned the fuel pump is shot and not putting out enough pressure,the strainer on the pump in the tank may also be clogged,get a replacement when you get a new pump.
    loosen the exhaust before the cat and see if it fires up,if it does your catalytic converter is plugged.
    pull the spark plugs one at a time and use a syringe to inject gas right into the cylinders,try to start to see if your getting enough spark.
    Did you ever find the fuel safety shut off switch and hit the reset button? it may have got jerked hard or bumped from towing or trailering and it might have your fuel shut off!