what is more important for flatheads

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by payton350, Oct 3, 2008.

1. payton350

payton350 New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Yesterday I went to the river that I plan on fishing this weekend and it was pretty low deepest part 3 to 5ft , but there is a lot of cover and snags everywere, I was wondering if the the depth was more important than the cover and if not what part on the snags should I fish, at the head or just down stream of snag or both.

2. firechief4201

firechief4201 New Member

State:
    Catlettsburg, Kentucky
    It depends on water temp, the bait fish in the area, current. If there is a lot of current fish the structure, use the bait fish in the area. And if the water is cool depth comes into play.

3. DIESELkat

DIESELkat New Member

State:
    PA
    Thats plenty deep for prowling flats, they are often caught in 3 feet or less of water at night. They are going to be coming from the daytime holes and if there are snags there will be baitfish. I would recommed fishing on the downstream side because if your fishing tight to cover you can use the current to help keep him out of the snag after you hook up rather than the current helping him.

4. payton350

payton350 New Member

State:
    Iowa
    there is alot of spots on this river that sound just like that, thanks a ton brother.

5. Flatheadhunter33

Flatheadhunter33 New Member

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    I think that it would depend on time of day and water temp. If you're working it during the day...work close to the structure as possible. If its night time try to work up stream and let the bait drift in current just outside the snag where a flathead will ambush a passing bait.

6. payton350

payton350 New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I went out last night and used the advice that I have received, didn't catch any flatheads but man the channels were sure biting, we caught 5 ranging from 3lbs to 6lbs, it was a fun night, but I wish I would have caught a flattie, thanks again guys. I wiil go again next weekend.

7. Flatheadhunter33

Flatheadhunter33 New Member

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    What did you use for bait?

8. payton350

payton350 New Member

State:
    Iowa
    live creek chubs

9. kenlaw76

kenlaw76 New Member

State:
    S.E. Pa.
    I like to fish the upstream side of the snag myself. I use #100 braid and I just went to using circle hooks mostly and heavy 7' and 8' rod. As soon as I get a click or 2 I engage my reel as I am picking it up, so when he makes a run for it he doesn't get any line and then I rip him out of the snag then I loosen my drag a little for the fight. I am fishing where a channel runs close to the bank I am fishing on, with brush piles and small blowdowns. I fish those until dark and the later it gets the farther from the structure I throw my bait. It seems that lately I have been catching them in the middle depths on the other side of the channel (12' deep channel and fishing 5'-8'). The other night I wasn't getting any bites till I moved downstream alittle and pounded them. The only thing that was diffant was a little bit of current. I think that is what made the diffrance.

10. payton350

payton350 New Member

State:
    Iowa
    When I went fishing the other night I was fishing right in between 2 snags and there was hardly any current is that a key area or is it in front of a snag in the current or are they both key areas to try. Ken when you moved down stream in the cuurent were you completely away from the snag or were you just at the bottom of the snag.

11. kenlaw76

kenlaw76 New Member

State:
    S.E. Pa.
    I was about 10 yards down below it. I caught 1 by the snag and the rest downstream from it.

12. payton350

payton350 New Member

State:
    Iowa
    was shallow relative to the river system or deep?

13. payton350

payton350 New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I don't know why but every time I go for flatheads using live bait I get into channel cats, the river I go to is known for flat heads, I use the bait fish found there, I fish the snags at dusk and night, but no flatheads, I now the river is not that deep right now but deep enough I think 3 to 5 ft around the snags, if you go out about 6ft from the snags toward the middle of the river it might be 8ft deep with alot of current, to tell you the truth I am stumped, I do enjoy catching channels but I want to get flathead so so bad

14. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    Try fishing the 8' channel if you are catching channels in the structure the flatheads may be cruising the channels in deeper water. It just takes a rock or log in the channel of deeper water to break the current enough for a flathead to lay downstream and ambush prey as it floats or swims by.