What is MOJO POWER

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by skipjacks, Jan 23, 2010.

1. skipjacks

skipjacks New Member

State:
    arkansas
    Being new to this association, I am at a loss to find any discussion in the site about mojo power. What does it mean and what is the relevance. How should one interpret this in the profiles of the members? How is this computed / added to etc? Awards and stars for contributions are explained quite well. Perhaps I have missed the explanation somewhere. If so please direct me to this reference. Thank you.

2. whisker maniac

whisker maniac New Member

State:
    arkansas
    What is reputation?
    Reputation is a way of rating users depending on the quality of their posts. If the administrators have enabled reputation, then the reputation icon will be visible in posts.
    Reputation may be positive [​IMG] , negative [​IMG] or neutral [​IMG]. Negative reputation may only be given if the administrator has enabled this. Neutral reputation is only given when the person giving reputation does not meet the criteria set by the administrator to affect someone else's reputation.
    How do I give reputation?
    To give reputation, click on the reputation icon in the relevant post. This will reveal a form to complete with the reputation type and the reason for giving the reputation. If negative reputation is disabled then it will not be displayed in this form. You may not give reputation for the same post twice.
    How do I know what reputation I have received?
    You can view the reputation that you have received in your User CP (User Control Panel) where it is displayed at the bottom of the User CP page. Here you will see the latest reputation that you have received and whether this is positive, negative or neutral. Your total reputation will be shown as series of reputation indicators in your posts and profile. The more positive your reputation, the more positive icons will be shown. The more negative your reputation the more negative icons will be shown.
    How much reputation is given? What is reputation power?
    If the administrator has enabled this, the amount of reputation that each user will give (or take away if negative) is shown in the user's posts as 'Reputation Power'. The value of the reputation power is determined by the administrator and may increase over time depending on the settings they have applied.
    What if I don't want anyone to see my reputation?
    You can disable the display of your reputation by going to your User CP and selecting Edit Options. On this page you will find a check box labelled 'Show Your Reputation Level'. Un-checking this box will remove the display of your reputation and replace it with the Reputation Disabled icon. You can still give and receive reputation while your reputation display is disabled.

3. Tool958

Tool958 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    This is a good post. It took me a while to figure it out. Would have helped me in the beginning.

4. skipjacks

skipjacks New Member

State:
    arkansas
    Many thanks to whisker maniac for the thorough answer to the mojo question. I certainly hope this helps others understand that information exchange is an invaluable asset for all to benefit from. Again, thanks for your time giving a complete answer.

5. ldw45

ldw45 Member

State:
    Illinois
    Kevin, Thanks for the explanations. I have noted that by clicking on the reputation icon in a personal post my reputation will also be shown. Question, I noted that you never used the term Mojo Power, Is this what you are calling 'Reputation Power"?

6. whisker maniac

State:
    arkansas
    mojo and reputation is the same thing.

7. ldw45

ldw45 Member

State:
    Illinois
    Kevin, If mojo power is the same as reputation the numbers would be identical, yet when I note my mojo power and compare it with my reputation on the profile page or by clicking the rep button in a personal post there is a huge discrepancy.

8. whisker maniac

State:
    arkansas

Okay... so let me explain further.... The reputation pts. are the accumulated pts that you have accrued from fellow members. The mojo power comes from the amount of reputation pts that you have recieved and used to be the number of pts that was given to an individual when you handed reps out to another individual. Thus reputation pts and mojo power comes from the same applications but yes are different.

How much reputation is given? What is reputation power?
    If the administrator has enabled this, the amount of reputation that each user will give (or take away if negative) is shown in the user's posts as 'Reputation Power'. The value of the reputation power is determined by the administrator and may increase over time depending on the settings they have applied.

Reputation power and mojo power is the same thing.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2010
  9. ldw45

ldw45 Member

State:
    Illinois
    So if I am reading this correctly, rep points received from a brother can be different depending on the amount of mojo power he has accumulated?

Now, if he gives rep points to a brother, does his mojo power decrease as he does so...... if so....... how does he go about increasing it?

10. whisker maniac

State:
    arkansas

mojo power does not decrease as it is handed out. It stays the same.. the only way your mojo can decrease is if you make a bad post and someone gives you negative reputation.

11. r ward

r ward New Member

State:
    Kathleen G
    Man Kevin you is smart LOL but seriously Kevin those are some great in depth answers

12. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    There was an adjustment made back some time ago to everyone's rep points. This was because the numbers were getting so large. I don't remember the exact percentage ratio of actual rep points to the number shown under MJ Power. But both of these numbers increase each time you get a positive rep. The larger MJ Power the person has that gives you a rep will increase yours even more. Giving reps has no effect on either of your numbers.

Also clicking on your own button to give points will display how many actual points you have... mine shows over 221 million but power shows 1.47 million.

Clear as mud ain't it. :laugh1:

Last edited: Jan 24, 2010
  13. DLB-in-GR

DLB-in-GR New Member

State:
    MI
    Very clear. Just join H.I. and get a few rep hits there from people in the millions and you will gain rep fast. Or have thousands of posts in the other areas and gain it the slow way. I gained all of mine from 8 months on H.I., been here since this site started but my reps didn't move until I started discussing politics. People who just joined less than a year ago can be mojo kings. That made me scratch my head. I've been looking for that spot in User CP where you can hide your reps but I haven't come across it yet. Thank you's mean more to me personally, but those keep getting reset to zero.

14. Fishmaster1203

Fishmaster1203 New Member

State:
    PA
    Now that right there was funny! :gotu:

15. skipjacks

skipjacks New Member

State:
    arkansas
    I am truely lost in mojo power now. But , to me it doesn't matter all that much. I like all the info and lore that is readilly available on this site. Also like to fish alot. Being new has me struggling just to navigate throughout the site. Can't get dademoss PM info to load and other things like that. The library is great info, and love the bragging board. Also really like slime's avatar. Thanks again Kevin for the "details" about mojo power.

16. tbird

tbird Member

State:
    IN
    Ok so I am still confused so the more mojo I get the more fish I catch? Or the more fish I catch the more mojo I get?

17. whisker maniac

State:
    arkansas
    mojo power has nothing to do with the fish you catch.

18. brian88b

brian88b Member

State:
    Fairdale, KY
    Well from what I can see NOW would be a Great time to try it out fella's and give WHISKER some BIG Ole' REPS for doing all this explaining. Thanks for all your efforts Whisker REPS SENT !!!