What is Juggin?

Discussion in 'Alternative Methods of Catching Catfish' started by OttoDita, Aug 16, 2008.

1. OttoDita

OttoDita New Member

State:
    Ontario, canada
    Hi everyone!

I've read a lot of posts about folks jug fishin. I'm more of a Rod and reel guy. But I'm open to a lot of things and juggin sounds fun. However. It's illegal in all of Canada, which sucks, for me. But I travel to the US sometimes to fish with friends.

I'm curious what this method of fishing looks like. Equipment wise. What are these "Jugs"?

Much appreciated!
    Shane

2. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv

3. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
  4. Buddrice

Buddrice New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    I make mine out of the little swimming pool noodles and here is a couple of pictures with my granddaughter grabbing one with a fish on it.My grand kids love it and that makes me one happy man..

Attached Files:

5. seacatfish

seacatfish New Member

State:
    Florida
    Yep, that`s the deal, there, buddy!:big_smile:

6. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    There's not a whole lot I can add to what you saw in the videos. While a lot of folks like to use the foam noodles for jugs, some of us prefer using things like soda jugs, detergent jugs, etc. Jugs can either be freefloating, where the sinker is off the bottom, or anchored, where the sinker is on the bottom. For anchored jugs, a much heavier sinker is generally used. Just as with rod & reel fishing, there are many different variations and techniques possible; some are use because of personal preference, and some are used to better fit certain situations. You can get a lot of information and ideas by reading posts about jugfishing. If you have any specific questions after your reading, just ask, and someone is almost certain to have an answer...or, what it more likely, you'll get several different answers to your question, all of them being 'right'.

7. OttoDita

OttoDita New Member

State:
    Ontario, canada
    Whoa. That looks awesome! Now I wanna move to the US! It's illegal here to fish any other way than R&R, bow, dip net. And only some species like carp, and smelt can be netted, or bow fished. Season pending as well. But, we don't have a cat limit, or season.

Thanks for the photos and videos!!
    Shane

8. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Just come on down to Arkansas on your vacation. A nonresident 7-day license is $17; $22 for 14 days. We've got deep, clear lakes; muddy shallow lakes; streams small enough to cast across; and big rivers like the Arkansas and the Mississippi. You can fish in the mountains, flatlands, or swamps. And best of all, since you're a Canadian, you don't get classified as a yankee! :004:

9. catfish10101

catfish10101 New Member

State:
    Des Allemands,
    These are some of my juglines. A 2 liter bottle, 20 foot of #18 tarred line, 2 1/0 hooks on each 3 feet and 6 feet from the bottom. just tie on a weight and ready to go.

Attached Files:

10. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Welcome to the BOC, Blake! Any particular reason you don't have hooks covering the entire water column? My freefloating jugs are rigged with a hooks at 3', 6' 9', and 12', with a 20p nail about a foot below the bottom hook for a weight. My top hook used to be at 6', but I caught so many on it that I've added the one at 3'; too recently to have any results back on it.

11. BigOBear

BigOBear New Member

State:
    TX
    We're allowed 5 hooks/jug in TX but when I was doing my research I read where folks worried about getting a hook in the hand when pulling them in when there were that many on them. Since mine were intended to be used by me and the kiddos both, I kept mine limited to 2 per and even then they have gloves on and I stress over and over to the kids to be doubly careful and watch for the extra hook when a fish is jerking around. Have yall ever had a problem with it being a danger having a fish on the bottom hook and pulling it in with 4 exposed hooks above him?

12. catfish10101

catfish10101 New Member

State:
    Des Allemands,
    You do not need to cover the entire water column. Catfish will follow their nose better than Tucan sam ever could. :smile2: Around here, we have so many good eating sized catfish that it's not necessairy to have that many hooks on one jugline. Better to use one close to the bottom and one a little higher, it's safer that way. Most of the Bayou is 10 to 20 feet deep and there are only a few holes that are deeper so I don't feel the need to have more hooks on the line. Trust me, if a catfish is hungry, you do not have to put the bait directly in his face for him to eat it.

13. jolie

jolie New Member

State:
    PA

there's probably more than one yankee that would love to try that. Unfortunately, with you guyz getting grief from all these R&R guyz your probably not very interested in taking anyone out... I don't Blame you. Its absolutely miserable that CERTAIN people on the BOC breed so much amniety about it...:angry:

should I ever get the chance to go south, I'm going to try to prove to one of you guyz that I'd be a good fishing partner for some Jugging! it really does seem like alot of FUN.

Of course unlike the canadian you'd also have to overlook the fact that I'm a yankee...:smile2:.

14. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Jimmy, with my hooks set like they are, I can hold the line up high enough that if I stand up and hold the line as high as possible, a helper can net the fish. Now, on my anchored juglines, I have short dropper loops every 3' and use EZclips to quickly and easily attach and remove the hooks, which have a short line attached. That way, there's no hooks on the line that's in the boat. EZclips is a BOC sponsor, so check them out.

Jolie, I don't get out nearly as much as I'd like because of my health, but if you should get down here and I'm physically able, I'd be glad to take you out.