What is it Worth?

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by iowacatter, Jul 7, 2006.

1. iowacatter

iowacatter New Member

State:
    Iowa
    A freind of mine, has a 90' Honda 10hp 4 stroke. It has sat upright in his finished, heated basement for about the last 10 yrs and was only used for a kicker on a big boat. Under the cowel it looks brand new.

He wants to sell it but doesn't know where to start on the price. I have no doudt we will get it running good by next weekend, just needs carbs cleaned, plugs, lower unit oil, and some tlc!

Let me know what ya think its worth running and idling. Thanks Everyone!:big_smile:

2. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    Tell him you will dig deep and give him $20. Just because you are a true friend Stan. LMAO

3. iowacatter

iowacatter New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Matt,
    I already told him I'd give him 50 for it and he said, "I bet you would" :lol:

4. SeedTick

SeedTick New Member

State:
    Conway Arkansas
    Hey Stan, Check to see if it has a slip clutch or just shear pins. It seems like those smaller Honda motors just used shear pins a few years back. I wouldn't be satisfied with one like that where I fish but you may be alright with it.

ST

5. iowacatter

iowacatter New Member

State:
    Iowa

I'm not sure, but i do know it has a belt!! if that helps lol, I am going up to get it in a while and I will get a pic of it.

6. shortshank

shortshank New Member

State:
    Oregon
    First is it a "short shank" ? Is it water cooled? If it has set for ten years, used for one year(?) 11-12 years old? I'd guess in good running order $200. - $300.00 IMO.
    Don

7. catseeman

catseeman New Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Shearpins or rubber slip clutch are found at the prop. Also Is it a long shaft of a short shaft?Tiller or wheel steer? Electric or rope start?

8. jdstraka

jdstraka Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Council Bluffs, Iowa
    Name:
    John
    Hay stan I woulden't want to see you get taken advantage of . So just ship it to me and Ill give it a good test for a copple of years and then I will be abel to give you my Honest Opinioun on what it is actualy worth. You Know anything for a brother Right. L.O.L. $300 Bucks up and Running. J.D.Straka:smile2:

9. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    I don't know much about 4 strokes but a good starting point would be if compression is good then start at 35 to 50 bucks a h/p if it hasn't been abused and run in salt water.
    If it has the slip clutch I would not have it because in the rivers I run it would be slipping all the time.

10. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    You should be able to do a comparison search on ebay and find out what the comparable motors to this one is selling for. Go to the "buy" page, type in the motor information and set back. It will bring them up.

11. Iowa_Josh

Iowa_Josh New Member

State:
    Central Iowa
    Honestly, I would do as lawrance suggests. I saw one a week or two ago in the paper for $850 or so, not sure what it actually sold at but that is what they asked. Around here crappy 10 horses are 3-400. Good newer ones are 5-700+ and i'm not sure but I imagine 4strokes are above that if solid and reliable.

12. iowacatter

iowacatter New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I enclosed a couple pics, its a long shaft, rope start, tiller, not sure of the yr, he thought he bought it in 90' and he bought it new. I'm not buying it, I am just trying to help him sell it. Its never been in salt water. Heres the pics

Attached Files:

13. Matt Smith

Matt Smith New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I wouldn't give more than $500 for it.