Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner
21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
823 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 · (Edited)
Give a few away to the right YouTubers that hoot and holler about how they “get the job done” and the masses will flock to you.
I wish some company would do that with me. I need me some green glowing rods. :LOL:

First, I should point out that not knowing what brands, I am just giving an informed guess here.
I didn't want to mention any of the brands because most are reputable and stand behind their products (replaced the broken rods fast from what I saw). I am quite sure quite a few people own these rods too and have pulled in big fish. It just was odd this was happening recently.

What companies make rod blanks in the US anymore? The vast majority buy from China or Korea. They get blanks then add eyes and reel seats to them or they just get the whole thing from China/Korea. That's why a lot of the rods look similar now. Just look at the Fiblink Catfish rods on Amazon!

·
Registered
924 Posts
I got some rods I like and hope to never break them. But, they are all inexpensive rods and a good number have well outlived their cost! Gota few Berkley Cherrystones that been here four of five years now and caost, best I can remember about $20 on Amazon. That about $4 a year and they are still going strong. Got a few other's I paid less for that are a good bit older. I guess it doesn't prove a thing about the rods other than they are still being used! Only had one fish in my life break a rod on me and that was long ago. Well I guess it does prove something to me. Don't step on them, slam them in a car door or catch a bigger fish than the thing is designed for and all rods last pretty well!

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
A thing few people think about is the rods were treated before you bought it. If the rod was banged around a bit either from shipping or clerks stocking...it can create micro fractures in the blank which will lead to failure sometime after purchase.

But the vast majority of broken rods is do to user error whether it's mistreatment, high sticking, or putting too much bend in the rod under load horsing a fish.

·
Registered
823 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
A thing few people think about is the rods were treated before you bought it. If the rod was banged around a bit either from shipping or clerks stocking...it can create micro fractures in the blank which will lead to failure sometime after purchase.

But the vast majority of broken rods is do to user error whether it's mistreatment, high sticking, or putting too much bend in the rod under load horsing a fish.
I have been so abusive to my rods they should have broken a hundred times over the past few years lol!

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
They will at some point...every time there's an impact to the blank it creates microfractures in the the blank...it won't necessarily break that day or even in 5 years...but it will break at that spot eventually...

21 - 26 of 26 Posts