Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
928 Posts
Funny this post shows up. I had the idea that guy's figured the more they paid for a rod the less likely something bad would happen to it. made me think about a rod I had years ago a kid slammed in my car door. Your not gonna believe it but it broke! Kid here in town I used to take fishing a lot and had to loan him a rod. Constitently telling him not to lay it on the ground. Well he never listened and broke it. I think he stepped on it, he won't come clean about it. Well that ended loaning him a rod so the little punk went out and bought his own! Guess what, he stepped on it too!

·
Horse-MON
24,049 Posts
Funny this post shows up. I had the idea that guy's figured the more they paid for a rod the less likely something bad would happen to it. made me think about a rod I had years ago a kid slammed in my car door. Your not gonna believe it but it broke! Kid here in town I used to take fishing a lot and had to loan him a rod. Constitently telling him not to lay it on the ground. Well he never listened and broke it. I think he stepped on it, he won't come clean about it. Well that ended loaning him a rod so the little punk went out and bought his own! Guess what, he stepped on it too!
What goes around come around!!!! Do. you think he learned anything???
Cartoon Font Art Circle Happy

·
Registered
Winston, Indiana
4,666 Posts
Over the past few months I have noticed multiple brands having rod breaking issues. Some are notable brands. Did the manufacture plant create a bunch of bad blanks?
Did all the multiple brands use blanks from the same manufacturer?

…W

·
Premium Member
Bill, in OkC
1,466 Posts
Kinda glad all my stuff is kinda old.
I'm kinda like that. Except mine aren't old, they're cheap.
IMO, my best rods are ProCat. Have 3 of them (as of today 😀). How cheap? I bought a ProCat baitcaster combo at Academy today, for $59.99. PC70-MHC.

I accidentally stepped on one of them a few days ago. Caught myself before my full weight was on it, so, it didn't break.
Luck was with me that day.

Besides the new PC70, i also bought a new ultralight today. Five foot rod ($15.00) at the store where I buy bait. The reel is an H2O Express that came on an 18" rod ($9.99). Spooled it with Mr Crappie 4# line. Also have some 6# line, (Sufix) 'cause I know I'll get disgusted with the 4. 😀

·
Registered
823 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Tailgates, hang-ups and doors have broken most of the rods that break, IJS
That is the normal way I see rods broken. The ones as of late have been while fighting fish. One manufacturer actually admitted they had a bad batch of blanks supposedly (no way to confirm so I wont mention who it was).

Did all the multiple brands use blanks from the same manufacturer?

…W
It's possible. A few different brands use the same blanks as each other. They never tell you what manufacturer in China/wherever they use so its hard to tell if it was the same.

Just watched a "Catfish Dave" video, he was having rod breakage issues with his bait rods. I think he indicated they were off the shelf from the giant retailers store.
I saw that too. It's not bait rods I am talking about. Its not hard to break anything you buy at Walmart. Except maybe an Ugly Stick. :LOL:

I will say I have not heard of any Ugly Stick Catfish, St Croix Catfish, or Okuma Battle Cat's breaking while fighting a fish. So whatever factory they come from is fine. They are also the oddballs of the bunch that do not copy each other.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Pretty much all made in china. Is what it is. I own them all too. If I had to guess I’d say they might come out of the same factory. Was looking on Alibaba.com and rods that look identical to rods very popular on here are available for 22$ bucks a piece if you order 100 or more. Slap a catchy name on them , charge 4 or 5 times more than what you pay for them and you’re in the fishing rod business. Give a few away to the right YouTubers that hoot and holler about how they “get the job done” and the masses will flock to you. If they have a decent warranty shouldn’t matter anyway. I had a warranty issue with a rod and was mailed a new one so I was happy.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Over the past few months I have noticed multiple brands having rod breaking issues. Some are notable brands. Did the manufacture plant create a bunch of bad blanks?
First, I should point out that not knowing what brands, I am just giving an informed guess here. I would say it's likely that those companies have begun ordering supplies or complete products from China. Chinese "companies " have been getting a lot of business providing products that are good quality... For a few shipments. Then they send over crud, and it isn't discovered until the consumers get it, and by then, well, they got their money and got gone

·
Registered
63 Posts
I have had almost the same problem with a couple of people. Just a bit different. What posses anyone to lay their rod down(as opposed to keeping it in their hand) when the spool is locked. I have watched three or four rods jump off the boat just as soon as the owner put it down locked. Open the bail or unlock the spool if you want to get something over there dummy.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Beside jamming it in the car door...the only time I saw any rod break was when someone that appeared to be snagged reach up and pull on the rod about half way up to the tip.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Beside jamming it in the car door...the only time I saw any rod break was when someone that appeared to be snagged reach up and pull on the rod about half way up to the tip.
On the other hand, something can be made so well that that short of thing shouldn't happen. About 30 years ago, I accidentally shut the car door on the tip of my rod... Opened it expecting it to be broken 😭, surprised that it wasn't (I'd slammed the door that time)! I've stuck with ugly stik ever since.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts