What is Flash?

Discussion in 'Sinker Making Institute' started by Catfishboy1995, Jan 6, 2010.

1. Catfishboy1995

Catfishboy1995 New Member

State:
    Council Bluffs
    What is Flash in sinker making...I hear about it and i have no clue what it is?

2. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    When you put candle wax/grease in the melting pot to bring impurities to the top it will create a flash fire. This is the only Flash I can think of that is being mentioned.

3. Catfishboy1995

State:
    Council Bluffs
    thats what i thought by it is saying in the mold instructions that there is garuenteed no flas..and on one of the videos i found on sinker making said vaccum up all dust splatters and flash...cand shop vac up fire..lol

4. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    I had a friend introduce me to sinker making. I have yet to read the intructions that comes with the molds. Not saying that I could not learn something from them, just never got around to reading them.

5. Catfishboy1995

State:
    Council Bluffs
    Haha, lol..I only read them to see if it says what type of oil to oil the hinges and pins with..ad it said that

6. fmb

fmb New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    I thought it was the left over lead you have to cut off the sinker....I could be wrong tho....

7. Catfishboy1995

State:
    Council Bluffs
    no thats the sprue...I was thinking that after i heard the fire wasnt it...but i wouldnt vaccume it i just throw it in to the melting pot and melt it again

8. revbigpapa

revbigpapa New Member

State:
    florida
    Flash is that little bit of lead that you get on the seam of a sinker if the mold doesn't close goodand tight.

9. Swampfox.

Swampfox. New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    that would be called gates. let me give you an example of a flash, hot lead and a cold ladle. when you dip it in the reaction is a flash or blow back. this is a time you can really get burned bad. the lead explodes. this may be what it means.

10. psychomekanik

psychomekanik New Member

State:
    Illinois
    The rev's right. It's called casting flash. It's present on anything casted. Engine blocks, tie rod ends, etc, etc. The gate is a chunk you have to cut off from the fill hole.

11. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT New Member

That,s it.If you,re getting a lot of flash from your molds,they,re either wearing out or you got your lead temperature too hot.

12. Jeremy Sheffey

Jeremy Sheffey New Member

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    i learn something new everyday on here

13. Catfishboy1995

State:
    Council Bluffs
    I agree the rev..His anwser seem makes the most sense..Me to jeremy..lol...i Dont get flash and it says gerruenteed no flash so thanks again!!!

14. waynesburgjay

waynesburgjay New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    Even if you do get flash you can always take a metal file and rub it off. I have an old jighead mold that always leaves flash.

15. Welder

Welder New Member

State:
    Missouri
    You can take em into a machinest shop and have em put on a truing block its just a block that vibrates and is covered in fine grit. it will retrue the mating surfaces by giving them a even polish.

16. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    Guess I was wrong on this one. I learn something about every day too.

17. flathead_hunter

flathead_hunter Well-Known Member

State:
    nebraska city
    i have a 12 oz bank sinker mold that had alot of flash on it.... being i work in a diecast plant and know the kinds of thing that causes flashing i got to looking at my die and on the bottom it was warped... another thing i had was a small piece of lead i seen on another one that was causing it to flash... there are alot of things that can cause it.
    i know this is an old thread but just found it... flash looks like aluminum foil ussualy thin like paper...

18. Catfishboy1995

State:
    Council Bluffs
    Yea It is a really thin strip that stick out about 1/2 a centimeter from the sinker. And it is only in one cavity in a 2, 3, 4, 5 bank sinker mold. But I have had alot of bad luck with this mold Handles went bad right away. So i think it may be warped from being too hot. But im not sure If it is bad I can get one for $25 at bass pro so no huge deal. It has deffinatally paid its way off x 100