What Is E Glass?

Discussion in 'Fishing Rod Review' started by Mr. Foster, Aug 18, 2009.

1. Mr. Foster

Mr. Foster New Member

State:
    Kansas
    I was wondering if anyone would like to explain the difference in E Glass, Solid glass, Graphite, Graphite composite and so forth. Also Im curious about the blanks, solid, tubular? I could find this out myself surfing the web, but I thought other people may learn from this too. Thankyou.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2009
  2. dieselcat

dieselcat New Member

State:
    Washington, Mis
    would love to help but that is way outa my league,:embarassed:lol.From what i've read i think E Glass is a pretty popular 1.i know the poles i have are e glass and seem to have a really good backbone and acually i used 1 for snagging a few times and it did great.Only thing is it probibly isn't quite stiff enough up top but was awsome when hooking into fish,snagged a few 40-50lb or so asians and worked great.

3. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    give flamekeeper a holler im sure he be more then happy to school ya on the difference. Hes the rod expert around these parts.:wink:

4. Jeremy Sheffey

Jeremy Sheffey New Member

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    i'd like to know also, i have thought about building my own rods for a while now...

5. Flamekeeper

Flamekeeper New Member

State:
    Louisville, Ken
    This is what you want I think:cool2:

RX8+
    This is "state of the art" material. The foundation is a "High Modulus / High Strain Rate" fiber combined with a carbon fiber scrim. A new space age resin system coupled with a proprietary carbon fiber reinforcement technique makes this a cutting edge graphite material. Blanks manufactured with this material are the lightest, strongest and most sensitive blanks made.

RX8
    This graphite material features cutting edge performance at a resonable price. The foundation is a "High Modulus / High Strain Rate" fiber (54 million) combined with the lightest fiberglass scrim available. Coupled with a cutting edge space age resin system, blanks produced with our RX8 material offer a superb sensitivity, strength and value.

RX7+
    The foundation for this graphite is "Intermediate Modulus / High Strain Rate" fiber combined with a light fiberglass scrim. Bonded together with a space age resin system and coupled with a proprietary carbon fiber reinforcement technique, this is truly a cutting edge graphite material. Blanks produced with this graphite material offer incredible performance.

RX7
    The foundation for this graphite is "Intermediate Modulus / High Strain Rate" fiber (43 million) combined with a light fiberglass scrim. Bonded together with a space age resin system, this is a workhorse material. Blanks produced with this material offer superb strength, sensitivity and light-weight.

RX6
    The foundation for this graphite is "Standard Modulus / High Strain Rate" fiber (33 million) combined with a light fiberglass scrim. Bonded together with a space age resin system, this is the workhorse. They represent the finest value in high performance blanks on the market today.

RX4
    The foundation of this material is proprietary graphite / fiberglass matrix combined with a high impact resin system, making this the perfect material for rod models that need to be strong, yet light enough to fish all day. This proprietary material is used in certain saltwater and downrigger rods, where durability is of the utmost concern.

E-Glass
    This is the workhorse material for the saltwater blanks. It offers superb stength and durability at a reasonable price. There is no better-priced material for high performance saltwater blanks.

Solid-Glass
    Glass fibers are pultruded onto a dowel and then ground to a specific taper. This results in a virtually unbreakable rod blank.

:wink:

Last edited: Aug 18, 2009
  6. bownero

bownero New Member

State:
    Hastings, Ne.
    Hey Kenny!! That's explains alot on the different rod materials. Thanks for such a great post!! Solid information!! mojo sent bro!!:big_smile:

7. gilmafam

gilmafam Well-Known Member

State:
    California
    Sounds like a good explanation of the glass or composite rods

Thanks for the post.

8. catfishfearme

catfishfearme New Member

State:
    govecity,ohio
    thanks for posting that, good info. flamekeeper:cool2:

9. Cherokee Rod Man

Cherokee Rod Man New Member

State:
    Eufaula La
    Thanks Kenny, for posting the materials up, that cuts out alot of the guesswork. Just to add to it I talked with Mike Thorson over at Batson a few months back and asked him "what is the " E" in e-glass. He says it was actually Electric glass originally, but they dont know for sure why. Mike has 33 years in the rod blank field. All I know is it's one tough s.o.b. for catfishing!:eek:oooh:

10. Jacksmooth

Jacksmooth Member

State:
    West Virginia
    So would the solid glass be a better cat rod than the E glass if it is virtually indestructable or would the rod be to heavy?

11. Flamekeeper

Flamekeeper New Member

State:
    Louisville, Ken
    TOO HVY,,:eek:oooh: man can you imagine a 9-10' solid glass rod blank..15-20lbs:crazy:

Nah I dont know , but it would be one hvy pole :smile2::smile2:

Last edited: Aug 19, 2009
  12. Mr. Foster

Mr. Foster New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Thankyou Kenny for the explanation, it is much appreciated. Glad im not the only one curiois about rod material. This will help people out alot.

13. on_the_fly

on_the_fly New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    thats what my snagging rod is made of and its 6' 6" and feels like 10 lbs and you would never see any rod movement if cat fishing unless you cought something well over the average on it. and the worst is fighting a fish even with snagging you feel it in the whole rod because there is no give in the tip like your average rod. will flat out wear your arss out!!!! LOL

14. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    Leland,
    It's called Electrical glass because it was developed to manufacture insulators for electrical wiring. Lucky for us it also makes good fishing rods:wink:
    S glass is like E glass but the recipe is such that it's tensile Strength is almost double that of E glass.
    There is also A glass, T glass and C glass which also have different recipes that make them suited to specific applications.

...W

Last edited: Aug 19, 2009