What is catfish jug fishing?

Discussion in 'Channel Catfish' started by xposedguts, Oct 5, 2007.

1. xposedguts

xposedguts New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I hear alot about jug fishing. What is it and can you fish for channels jug fishing? Thanks,

-dan

2. Dave L

Dave L New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    I don't know about Illinois but it ain't legal in Minnesota.
    It is fishing with your line attached to a floating jug. When the jug starts moving you better chase after it cause Fish On.

3. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    sure you can fish for any cat with jugs.you can buy them from the store in the fishing section or even cheaper you can use empty 2 liter bottles.Tie some strong line around where the cap is screwed on,then a sinker to hold the jug up and then a hook and bait.when you see the jug go under or start bobbing its fish on!

4. xposedguts

xposedguts New Member

State:
    Illinois
    interesting, i may give this a try if its legal in illinois

5. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    First of all welcome to the BOC, Check out the library there are some different ways in there to make jugs. Jug fishing is a lot of fun just check your regulations for your state before you get to far involved.

6. kingdawes

kingdawes New Member

State:
    kentucky
    Jug fishing is fun, the other brothers have basically explain all that it is. Welcome to the boc you'll like it here.

7. xposedguts

xposedguts New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Thanks for the welcome, ive hurd of weighted and weightless juggin, im plannin on trying it off my boat on a lake, what method would be used?

8. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    Yes Dan, there are some lakes that do not allow it but most do, just check the regs of a particular water, and you also need to make sure you attach your name and contact info on the jug, DNR regulation, no big deal tho, just a way to keep legit from trash on the water ya know. Yes it is alot of fun and a great way to get channel cats, Not as much fun as Rod/Reel tho, LOL, still fun to do.

9. xposedguts

xposedguts New Member

State:
    Illinois
    sounds pretty cool, what bait is commin for juggin?

10. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    Pretty much all you would use on rod/reel, cut baits live shad/gills, prepared baits. As 777 stated, there is a wealth of info in the Library section that would most cover all yer questions, usually does for me, and some I would have not thought of...LOL save your or get some 2 litter pop bottles work well. ONE TIP IF YOU EVER do them at night, put some reflective tape/paint on them easier to see!

11. Katfishing Cajun

Katfishing Cajun New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Hey Dan, welcome to the B.O.C. brother!! Jug line fishing is a blast!! I made some and know I can't get my brother to fish with rod an reel anymore!!! Give it a shot. Check with the laws in your state. Good luck brother!!:cool2:

12. grillking

grillking New Member

State:
    omaha, nebraska
    jug fishing is illegal in alot of states. we've heard of guys doing it in iowa, but its illegal in nebraska.

13. tomflatcat

tomflatcat New Member

State:
    Hampstead, NC
    Does the bait need to be on the bottom? I'm wondering this because if the lake has a lot of depth differences and you want the bait to be off the bottom and the jug is drifting how deep should it be set?

14. rich-online

rich-online New Member

State:
    California
  15. xposedguts

xposedguts New Member

State:
    Illinois
  16. alands94

alands94 Active Member

State:
    Lebanon, I
    No, the bait does not need to be on the bottom. In fact, I recently went with a buddy of mine and we were catching them at 3-4' in 10-12' of water.

17. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    There are two categories of jugs---anchored and freefloating. Some states have different regulations for each category, so be sure you check the regs for your state. Arkansas, for example, requires that you stay with freefloating jugs at all times during daylight hours, while anchored jugs are only required to be checked once each day. As far as jugging at night goes, I used to stick reflective tape on mine and spot them with a spotlight, but I've learned a better way. Get some chemlight sticks from one of our sponsors (AKWolf) and attach one to each jug. You can either use a big rubber band or glue one of the connectors to the jug (connectors come with each tube of chemlights). While I still wouldn't go out on the water at night without a spotlight or two, the chemlights allow me to keep track of the jugs without using the spotlight. While you'll find people who fish a single hook on their jugline, I like to cover as much of the water column as possible, because one trip the fish may be hitting near the surface, while the next trip they're hitting down toward the bottom. So, I make my juglines as long as possible without hanging up too much. It can be a little tricky, getting the right length; if you're not hanging up occasionally, you're too shallow; if you're hanging up too often, you're jugline is too long. I mostly freefloat my jugs because it's more fun to me, and I seem to catch more fish than on anchored jugs. Different fishing situations will prove to be more or less hazardous to your jugs. If you're jugging a cove or backwater and staying with your jugs, you will very seldom lose a jug. But if you're leaving your jugs out overnight, and that cove is off a large lake, or if you're jugging a good-sized river, it probably won't be all that unusual to lose a jug or two. Likewise, if you're freefloating your jugs down the current of a large river, even in daylight, you're going to lose some jugs. Also, consider how far away you may have to spot a jug. Any jug half a mile away can be difficult to spot, but the less the jug sticks up above the water, the harder it will be to see at that distance. If you're staying close to your jugs, this isn't a factor.

18. jsharper

jsharper New Member

State:
    TX
    should be banned

All fishing should be banned except to people born on my birthday. The fish are mine, all mine.:wink:

Jim

19. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Baitfishing should be banned, too. Every type of fishing except fly rod & barbless dry fly should be banned.