What Is Bream?

Discussion in 'Bluegill Fishing' started by river_rat_42, Mar 12, 2007.

1. river_rat_42

river_rat_42 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I heard a few of you guys talkin' about Bream bein' great Blue Cat bait. What is it? I fish the Ohio River on the Indiana shores, can i catch/use that hear.
    If so can you tell me how to get some and all that good stuff. Thanxxx!!!!!

2. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    Bluegill basicly, LOL!!! At least that is what I call them.

3. Swampy

Swampy New Member

State:
    Fl.
    What is Bream? ROTFLMAO Sorry I just couldn't help myself. LOL I thought everyone knew what bream are. Any fish in the sunfish family are called bream.

4. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    You are very wrong about that. Bream is common usage in the South for members of the sunfish family. But, outside the South, its not at all common. The name was stolen from our British ancestors who applied it to a sliver sided flat fish they often caught in the homeland.

5. Pastor E

Pastor E New Member

State:
    Beebe AR
    Yep you right Dude:tounge_out:

6. river_rat_42

river_rat_42 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Sorry, I had never heard of them bein called that!

7. Drawout

Drawout Active Member

State:
    Paris.Texas
    Dont be sorry about anything that you ask that right their tells us that you are trying to lear.Thats what the BOC is for to ask questions.:cool2:

8. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    around here we sorta lump all sunfish into the name of 'PERCH'

9. Hope

Hope New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    That's what I've noticed around here, Richard... what everyone calls perch is NOT what we called 'em up north. Same with bluegill.

I'm glad you asked this, Craig... I was wonderin, too!

Good fishin! :lol:

10. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    That's also an alternative name for sun fish in Texas and Louisiana. Until I was grown, crappie were "white perch" to me, though the sun fish family (crappie and bass included) have no relationship to the true perch fish.

11. GMC FishHauler

GMC FishHauler New Member

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    I'm sure that he wanted to know the actual usage of the word.

12. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY

I had never heard this word until I joined here. I always called them Bluegill or Bait. To me it just doesn't sound right. :big_smile:

13. RiverKing

RiverKing Active Member

State:
    Yellow Spr

Im with you man, when i first saw that word bream, i had no clue what it was..We just call them bait or bluegills too..I also had no idea what a "citation" fish was either until i joined here...See, we are always learning something new for all the other members

14. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY

Me too. I had always called Flatheads- 'Shovelheads' until I joined here.Now Flathead sounds better to me.:roll_eyes:

15. Swampy

Swampy New Member

State:
    Fl.

I may be wrong but I don't think he was wanting to know about British fish,That's a hell of a long trip to catch bait don't you think?

16. Swampy

Swampy New Member

State:
    Fl.
  17. Indigo Flats

Indigo Flats New Member

State:
    Lancaster,
    We in the south separate bream down further than just Bluegill. There are Ring Eye and Red Brest and Shell Cracker bream in addition to Bluegills. I'm sure there are other local names for the varieties of bream in the south.

I have eaten many kinds of fish but to me fried "bream" is the best!!

18. C_wernett

C_wernett New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Bream is a lump term for members of the sunfish family around here, when people don't know the kind of fish they are actually catching. Around here, most people pronouce it "brim". Oddly enough, true bream are a freshwater fish in Europe, and Brim are a saltwater fish in Australia. It's like catfish. I know a lot of people who are "diehard" catfisherman that don't know the difference between blues, channels, flatties, whites, or even bullheads. They are all just called "catfish". It drives me crazy! lol

19. Swampy

Swampy New Member

State:
    Fl.

LOL I was at work one day about 20 years back and someone said something about a biscuit and this lady looked at me and asked "What's a Biscuit?" I about fell over LMAO at her. Later I found out she was from N.Y. so one morning I bought her a biscuit on my way to work after that she became a real biscuit hound.

20. Swampy

Swampy New Member

State:
    Fl.
    I know what you mean about those kind of catfishermen,when you ask "what kind of cats were you catching" and they say mostly small ones. LOL