what is better electric or hand winch for anchors!

Discussion in 'Boat Repair Help' started by chambers bd, May 21, 2008.

1. chambers bd

chambers bd New Member

State:
    Sautee,Geo
    I just wanted some opinions on this, im looking at adding two winches for the cat boat. Any thoughts please share them!

2. willcat

willcat New Member

State:
    texas
    I would think electric, as i want to add 2 to my toon as well

3. oh no

oh no New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I have had Anchor Mates--- hand crank type on two boats. Both went to heck after a few years in the weather. Now I just throw the anchor overboard and tie it to a cleat on the boat.

I know nothing about the electric ones.

The manual ones might hold up better if the boat was covered. Mine is not.

4. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
  5. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Must be the brand. There's nothing wrong with having a winch that's left out in the weather. How many of us have ever had a problem with out boat winch mounted on the front of the trailer? I had a tooth break on one once, but that had absolutely nothing to do with weather. And I've had one electric winch on a boat trailer and two that were mounted on 16' flatbed trailers, and never had any trouble with any of them.
    That being said, you might want to consider using an electric capstan. That's nothing more than a powered rotating drum that's shaped so that the rope doesn't slide off. Take a couple of turns around it, and the friction makes the anchor come in with little or no pulling on the rope. All you have to do is keep a little pressure on it to keep the turns tight on the capstan. These are widely used on sailboats to raise the sails. The advantage is that your anchor rope is never tied to the capstan; there's just a couple of turns of rope around it while you're actually retrieving the anchor. If you want to use some type of quick release system to fasten the anchor rope to the boat, there's no problem doing that. Also, if you have a long anchor rope, there's no problem with the winch drum not holding enough rope or cable. As the rope comes in, you can feed it into a plastic bucket.

6. brad kilpatrick

brad kilpatrick New Member

State:
    Kansas City
  7. CoonX

CoonX Member

State:
    Oklahoma City O
    Depends on how lazy you are.. :big_smile: