What is best for chum?

Discussion in 'OKLAHOMA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by rigrunner(236), Feb 5, 2008.

1. rigrunner(236)

rigrunner(236) New Member

State:
    Ft Cobb Lake, Oklahoma
    What works best as chum,for catfish, wheat, milo, or corn?

2. LinebBoatRunner

LinebBoatRunner New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    when i was younger, we drift fished with wheat that grampa mixed with water, sorgum and some other secret ingredents he still wont tell me. he would let it set out side in the sun for a week or so, with the lid on the bucket. come time to fish he would pitch a soup can full every 15 to 20 minutes till they started biting, then every 45 min or so after that. worked really well for us. p.s. still dont know the secret recipie

3. bownero

bownero New Member

State:
    Hastings, Ne.
    i've had good results with corn and soybeans. i use a 5 gal. bucket half full of the grain and fill with water to cover the grain. Then I cover the bucket and set out in the sun for few days until ripe. whew! chuck it out in my fishing hole and wait. Some store bought chum works quite well to and the smell is a little more inviting to the olfactory senses.

Good Luck and tight lines!!:big_smile:

4. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    I buy Chicken Mash which has the combination of all three. Works great once fermented, for a few days.

5. Midwest Drifter

Midwest Drifter New Member

State:
    Kansas
    I'v always used wheat, just because theres jillions of bushels around here. Well not last year. It sure gets to stinking after it's beem soaked for a cupple weeks.

6. rigrunner(236)

rigrunner(236) New Member

State:
    Ft Cobb Lake, Oklahoma
    Thanks to all for all the info. I'll get a bucket of wheat to soaking today. I'm ready to give it a try.

7. willcat

willcat New Member

State:
    texas
    Ive seen ppl use all three together, or either of the three by themselves will work also

8. Dave53

Dave53 New Member

State:
    Lonedell M
    I use to make chum out of grain too until the bucket spilled over in my boat and I will never do that again. That stuff could make a magot loose it's lunch! I met a guy on the river that told me he took his left overs from cleaning fish, less bones, put them in a blender until he had a fine mess then he said he added a small amount of water then put this mixture in ice trays without the dividers and froze this mix. He said he put this ice cube in a small cheep wire basket that he lets sit on the bottom of the river under his boat. He claims the bits and pieces will float out as the ice cube melts. I read about another BOC brother that did something like this too. I personally have not had a chance to try this as my shed icebox went out but thought I would throw that out there.

9. catfishcrazy256

catfishcrazy256 New Member

State:
    Indiana
  10. gargoil77

gargoil77 New Member

State:
    Clarksville, Indiana
    I've heard dry dog food works well.

11. ronlyn239

ronlyn239 New Member

State:
    Bartlesvil
    I visited with Danny King at the Green Country Tackle Show this afternoon, and he goes down to the feed store and buys a sack of cattle cakes or sweet feed, ferments it for a couple weeks, and uses that. It's cheap and effective. He wins a lot of tournaments, so he's gotta be doing something right

12. South Grand Laker

South Grand Laker New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    how cheap is cheap and how big of a bag are we talking about?

13. tkishkape

tkishkape New Member

State:
    Gore, Okla
    I keep a 55 gallon plastic barrel at least half full year around. I ain't choicy about what goes in... whatever grain I can scoop up at the elevator. Sometimes it's corn, sometimes wheat, oats, milo, or soybeans. The truck drivers always sweep out the trailer before loading up something else.

One time last year I got a bushel of milletseed... had to fight the starlings for it.

Anyhow, I let it soak up all of the old likker and add what little water is needed. Reckon that I could make a couple gallons of shine from that barrel... but I won't.:roll_eyes:

I dip out two or three gallons of grain at a time with a gallon bucket full of holes to let the likker run out. Put it inna 5 gallon bucket and go fishin. I'd hate to hit a bump and turn that bucket over inna boat...:confused2:

Oh yeah... I just wanna say that it works best when the water is warm... at least 65 degrees... the warmer the water and the stinkier the chum, the better it works.:wink:

14. tkishkape

tkishkape New Member

State:
    Gore, Okla
    Ron... you can tell when DK is a lying to you...

Check to see if that plug is movin and his lips is flappin!:smile2:

(Sorry about that, Danny... just kidding around.)

Danny has been a catman for a long time and he really knows his stuff... but his secret is in his bait and not in any chum!. Grab a bucket of his bait next time you get the chance and fish it under the birds. You'll have a blast.

15. ronlyn239

ronlyn239 New Member

State:
    Bartlesvil
    Danny didn't say how cheap it was, but cheap to me is under $10. I have a couple of sons out west in wheat country, and all I really have to do is to get them to scoop up a bunch of it from around the elevators and bring it to me when we go fishing. Never tried chumming like that, but I've heard lots of good results from it, so I am gonna try it this year.

16. okiecop

okiecop New Member

State:
    Grove, OK
    Back 20 years ago before we knew better. We used to go buy a couple cans of Bolo dog food. At about noon we would go to where we were going to fish that night. Use a phillips screwdriver and punch holes in the can. Throw it out to where we would be casting and come back after dark. Now we didn't catch any monster cats doing this but we sure did catch bunches of eating size channels. Now days I would suggest just freezing the dog food after removal from the can. No need to polute the water.

17. lawnman61

lawnman61 New Member

State:
    Fort Worth, Tex
    I will use chicken scratch or range cubes, both work very well.
    Chicken scratch needs to be watered and set in the sun a few days until ripe and very smelly.
    Range cubes, I'll take and throw out in an area and let sit for a while and go back and throw some more and go back later and start fishing.

:big_smile:

18. papasfishing

papasfishing New Member

State:
    cleveland,oklahoma
    maize or chicken scratch mixed with a couple of beers or some bakers or brewers yeast in a 5 gallon bucket for 3 or 4 days should do the trick

19. zimzam

zimzam New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
    Ha HA these all sound like catfish moonshine mash, no wonder they are attracted to bar.

20. kmcalester

kmcalester Active Member

State:
    Kansas City
    Do you chum for just channel, or does it work for all three?