What Is Best Black Mildew Stain Remover For Vinyl Boat Seats

Discussion in 'Boat Tips' started by Catfishrob, Mar 17, 2008.

1. Catfishrob

Catfishrob New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    My 2007 aluminum boat is stored at the coast in a storage room. When I opened the door I had a surprise, The $20,000 present from my wife still looks new except the seats were covered in black blotches of mildew. :embarassed:

In the past on other boat seats I have tried bleach and water and it removes a lot of it but still leaves a stain. They are a grey vinyl "bass boat type removable seats". Is there anything that really works short of buying new ones?????

Thanks in advance ....

2. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Bleach should take care of it pronto. The gray should not stain if you wipe it off and wash it with water immediately after the mildew disappears, which is usually less than one minute. BTW: You sure have a swell wife!! :)
    BB in SC

3. Backlashed

Backlashed New Member

State:
    Derby, Kansas
    I had the same problem on my pontoon last year. Bleach, a soft fine brush, and lots of elbow grease is about as good as it gets. Just don't use bleach any stronger or more often than you absolutely need to. It deteriorates the threads, and soon the seams will start busting.

4. catfishsolich

catfishsolich New Member

State:
    kentucky,metcalfe county
    i bought a boat that had years of mold or whatever the black stuff is tried alot of things including bleach but stains wouldnt come off. i sprayed with wesleys bleech white (its for whitewall tires) and it made them look like new.

5. Shadow Hunter

Shadow Hunter New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I use Fantastic household cleaner. It wont harm anything. A stiff bristle brush will help, and make sure the seats are dry first. I use it every year and it also works to clean the boat and motor. Bleach will deteriorate the thread stitching.

6. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    Bleach will do it but is very strong base(caustic). Make sure ya get it rinsed or use vinager to neutralize it when your done. Vinager is acidic

7. Gordhawk

Gordhawk New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Are you saying that if you use bleach,you should dilute it down? If so what is the ratio of bleach to water would be the best to use?

8. tspergin

tspergin New Member

State:
    newark ohio
    one of the best mildew removers I have found is mean green industrial cleaner ,spray it on ,let sit, scrub and rinse off, works great for me

9. catfishbills

catfishbills New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I have used Simple Green cleaner and it works good for me.:wink:

10. whodaman

whodaman New Member

State:
    Des Moines Iowa
    you should try using bleach and mix in a 1/4 of a cup of tide or other detergent the bleach will kill the mold and the tide will get rid of the stain. you know you have killed the mold when it turns from black to white also works well in bathrooms

11. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Here is a tip I got off of one of our Kentucky brothers JW. He told me when he ran in to the same problem he just painted them with black oil based paint problem solved.

12. SSgt Fishslayer

SSgt Fishslayer New Member

State:
    south carolina
    bleach has worked for me in the past with a tooth brush and some scrubbing. put stright blech and there, let the stain start to diappear, scrubb it until it comes out then rinse with water. works great. simple green works well also, as well as purple power cleaner.