Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2007 aluminum boat is stored at the coast in a storage room. When I opened the door I had a surprise, The $20,000 present from my wife still looks new except the seats were covered in black blotches of mildew. :embarassed:

In the past on other boat seats I have tried bleach and water and it removes a lot of it but still leaves a stain. They are a grey vinyl "bass boat type removable seats". Is there anything that really works short of buying new ones?????

Thanks in advance ....

·
Registered
4,420 Posts
Bleach should take care of it pronto. The gray should not stain if you wipe it off and wash it with water immediately after the mildew disappears, which is usually less than one minute. BTW: You sure have a swell wife!! :)
BB in SC

·
Registered
3,269 Posts
I had the same problem on my pontoon last year. Bleach, a soft fine brush, and lots of elbow grease is about as good as it gets. Just don't use bleach any stronger or more often than you absolutely need to. It deteriorates the threads, and soon the seams will start busting.

·
Registered
60 Posts
i bought a boat that had years of mold or whatever the black stuff is tried alot of things including bleach but stains wouldnt come off. i sprayed with wesleys bleech white (its for whitewall tires) and it made them look like new.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I use Fantastic household cleaner. It wont harm anything. A stiff bristle brush will help, and make sure the seats are dry first. I use it every year and it also works to clean the boat and motor. Bleach will deteriorate the thread stitching.

·
Registered
215 Posts
you should try using bleach and mix in a 1/4 of a cup of tide or other detergent the bleach will kill the mold and the tide will get rid of the stain. you know you have killed the mold when it turns from black to white also works well in bathrooms

·
Registered
3,732 Posts
Here is a tip I got off of one of our Kentucky brothers JW. He told me when he ran in to the same problem he just painted them with black oil based paint problem solved.

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
bleach has worked for me in the past with a tooth brush and some scrubbing. put stright blech and there, let the stain start to diappear, scrubb it until it comes out then rinse with water. works great. simple green works well also, as well as purple power cleaner.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.