What is best bass fishing weather?

Discussion in 'Bass Fishing' started by bigwig531, Jan 3, 2008.

1. bigwig531

bigwig531 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I am rather new to fishing and hunting and have lots to figure out.

i went just the other day it was pretty cold but i figured they would hit some top water poppers or jitterbugs or somthing and i didnt even see i fish..
    are bass not active in colder water? and what fish are active right now?

2. Kittycatcher

Kittycatcher New Member

State:
    Clarksville, Te
    When it is cold this time of the year you will find that Bass will be a little bit deeper than in the Spring. I would look for structure that has deep water close to it in about 10 to 15 ft of water. They can be caught during the cold months but you have to work at it.

3. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    This time of year you'd be lucky to catch a fish on topwater. It may happen though in the right conditions. I'd recommend using a jig with a pork frog trailer. Fish it real slow around laydowns and steep rocky banks and you should be able to find a few willing fish from time to time. Winter fishing is usually slower than in the warmer months but the bass still have to eat.

4. C_wernett

C_wernett New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    During cooler water and depending on bait, I've found fish off structure all togther schooling in deeper water. I like a slow jig too in the winter months, but a texas rigged worm just dragged across the bottom real slow. On warm days look for fish moving up into the warmer waters in shallower areas with dark bottoms too.

5. Pirate Jerry

Pirate Jerry New Member

State:
    Yulee Florida
    The full moon toward the end of Jan. will start the spring spawn. Big bass will be moving into the North ends of lakes and ponds to build nests in the warming waters.. If you live here in Florida that is.:wink: