Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
KY, USA
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Like the title said, what is best bang for the buck landing net (if there is one)? We bought one last spring at Walmart. It was on sale for a few bucks so perfect for our need, except that it did not last one year smh. The netting material ripped open when we had a 4 lbs carp this past weekend. We probably will not be catching anything above 10 lbs anytime soon, so we do not need anything that is super large.

If there is no such thing as cheap but good net, then let me know what you all recommend. Thanks and appreciate any feedback.
Chris

·
Registered
516 Posts
Cummins makes a top notch landing net...a bit pricey but they'll last

·
Registered
5,504 Posts
Like most things I am not sure cheap and good are compatible. I have a large Frabill that I have used for several years that has served me well. It is big but the handle collapses inside the hoop so it takes up a little less room land is what I would consider mid-priced. I have a smaller one that has a rubber net and I really like it, I hope to find a rubber replacement net when it's time to replace the big one.

·
Registered
Steve from Mississippi
1,365 Posts
I got my Frabill at Academy for about $30 if I remember correctly. It is 21"x27" with a rubber coated mesh and collapsible handle. It has served well for about 6yrs now with no issues. I do wish I had gotten the one that is one size larger. I believe it is 27"x35" or there abouts and around $40. A 30-40lb fish is really tough to get in mine.

·
Registered
458 Posts
I have a few nets. One I use when I am by myself. A monster net by frabill, the biggest they make, and some smaller nets when I fish walleye, bass , crappie ect. One thing is for sure, you want to make sure you can handle the net by yourself or if its like my giant frabill - and you have your buddy with you - use the net on a dry run and see what it's like dragging it through the water. The bigger the net, the longer the handle - it has more drag in the water and trust me, it can be a nightmare when the moment comes and the netjob gets jacked up.

·
Premium Member
11,186 Posts
I use the Frabill brand also and it has served me well. I also like that the handle slides forward and into the net to make the footprint smaller for storage.

ow if you after 20 pounders or less you will not need a huge net. I got mine for 60 to 80 pound cats because I dream a lot. So far the 60 pounder came to be.

I notice many people screw up a landing net because they do not use it correctly. They pick up a heavy fish like they would a shovel full of snow. That puts too much strain on the hoop. When the fish is in the net, point the handle upward then pick it straight up. That lands the fish and doesn't break the hoop.

Good luck with your search.

·
Registered
Steven from Georgia
957 Posts
Ive had a frabill for many years. Bought it at walmart. I think it was around $25 back then. Its had a bunch of fish in it. Including a 51lb. flattie and a 55lb. blue. Go ahead and spend the money on one. It should last you many years.

·
Registered
306 Posts
I carry a monster sized Ranger $80 net in my boat because, like Tom, I'm a dreamer. In my kayaks I carry a little extendable Frabill that costs like $13. It's boated several fish up to 20lbs or so. The Ranger has boated some 50's. My nephew needed a larger net for his boat so I bought him the largest one Academy had in stock, a $35 Frabill, and we boated his 105lb blue with it. No need to spend a fortune if you don't want to.

Peace,
Chad

·
Registered
110 Posts
Muskyman....i just let out a huge GASP for you man. As soon as old boy said "I'm nervous, ive never netted a fish this big".....i thought...PLEASE SOMEONE TAKE THAT NET FROM HIM!!That hurts!

Last October, I was on a solo trip, had a 8 pound flathead and a 38 pounder hooked at the same time, had my foot on the rod with the 8# while holding the other rod with the big fish while she was going bonkers....thank god I carry a big net and had it ready to go. Scooped the 38, picked up the other rod and landed the 8....none of that would have happened with a small/junk net and I will NEVER forget how awesome it was.

Point is, like everyone else that chimed in....im gonna say the same thing, get a decent net. Losing the biggest fish you have ever caught at boatside is not worth the couple bucks you save when buying a junk net. Frabil definitely makes an acceptably decent net at a fair price.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts