What is Best Bait for Catfish Tournament?

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by Ohio_River_Rat, Oct 10, 2005.

1. Ohio_River_Rat

Ohio_River_Rat New Member

State:
    Charlestown, Indiana
  2. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    I would use what ever the natural forage bait is in the specific lake or river you are planning to fish (exp. shad, perch, skip jack ect.)
    As far as homemade bait I would do just that, leave it at home. It may be fine for catching fish, but if your planning to place in a tournament you will catch much larger fish on cut and live bait. Just my opinion, hope it helps and good luck in the trny!!!

3. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    I agree. I started fishing with live an fresh cut bait this year in the same waters i have fished the previous 38 due soley because of this site and although my production has gone down (although not really because of the bait fish is catching fish too) the quality of fish has deinitely gone up. I used to catch scads of 1/2 -2 pound channels with a 3-4 pounder being a good fish. Now, the average is closer to about 5-7 pounds with a 20 and a 32 thrown in. I would catch the biggest bluegill I could find as well as 8-10 inch shad and use them live and whole. Live shad are crazy on the end of the rod. I definitely would recommend a slip rig instead of a 3 way cause they will tangle lour line up for sure. Good luck from a new true believer that the larger the bait the larger the fish.

4. BassMassey

BassMassey Well-Known Member

State:
    Oconee
    wheres the tourny at ?? if there are any flatties i would bring some big ol goldfish, u know how us ohio boys do with our goldies.......

5. nathan king

nathan king New Member

State:
    vernon tx
    fish with danny kings punch bait, this was my first year fishing professional Catfish tournaments and i made the money 4 out of 8 tournaments and qualified for Cabelas King cat tourny using this bait, ive tried it all and this bait catches all sizes through and through.just my oppinion but it always comes through for ya.

6. Big Sam

Big Sam Well-Known Member

State:
    Booneville AR
    Name:
    Sam
    :cool: Well....My partner and myself both use Danny Kings punch bait.Our picture is on the cover of ACATS.We only got together for 5 tournaments
    this year.Our 1st one we got second place and top 10 finishes 3 in a row and won the fall classic on the bait.We won sponsorship for all of next years events.We have always caught our limit.I used tobe a die hard shad and skipjack guy..Try it boys! It convinced me and lot's of other folks as well.

7. BassMassey

BassMassey Well-Known Member

State:
    Oconee
    what kind of bait is this?? dipbait or a stinkbait?? where could i find some of this? Would it work for big ol' flatties??

8. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    Great results guys,
    I am too a die hard shad fisherman and kinda hard headed. My only question is, where I fish and expect to catch big blues and flat heads is, will a store bought or home made bait consistantly catch Trophy size fish? My trial and error experience has always showed that fresh live (or cut) bait catches much larger fish. Although if fishing for channels I have had very good luck with it. JMO

9. ASASIN

ASASIN New Member

State:
    Lawson Missouri
    It's a punch bait. Punch baits work EXCELLENT in the fall(they work great anytime, but really shine in the fall, especially under comorant roosts!!!!!!!!!!). God bless.

10. Big Sam

Big Sam Well-Known Member

State:
    Booneville AR
    Name:
    Sam
    :) That's right find some logs in about 2-3ft of back up water where the water turkeys roost...ease up close and cast right by the logs with your punch bait...and hang on..most of the time they will nail it soon as it hits the water! Yes you can catch big blues on punch bait and every now and then
    you will bag a flat head..The trick is to use a#1 treble hook {pretty good sized] when i'm furnishing the bait with my buddies i use a #2 ...saves a little money!

11. nathan king

nathan king New Member

State:
    vernon tx
    go with the stinky stuff guys, will catch big and small fish i know for a fact, doesnt catch flat heads except on rare occasions but it does happen :rolleyes:

12. bigsammy

bigsammy New Member

State:
    Poteau ok
    You boys are right! I too like Big Sam, was a die hard shad and skipjack nut.Went fishin with a good buddy and he convinced me in the first 45 minutes.DK punch bait is the way to go! :cool:

13. capt.kirk

capt.kirk Guest

stick to useing what you have done best in the past,all of the above advice
    is good but,it is kind of like taking a girl to a dance then leaving with another
    girl,you might find out what you had was the best choice.
    KIRK :happy:

14. T-Bone

T-Bone New Member

State:
    South of Dallas
    I gotta give'em their Props. Dk Punch Bait is GOOOOOD Stuff !!!! I won't bore ya with my story again, but the DK out fished the Shad Big Time. You can get it here on the BOC. Or Wally World has it here in Texas. Gettcha some guys. I have found when fishin' for something to eat, DK will fill your fryer up.....

15. cook

cook New Member

State:
    Plattsburg,Mo.(near K.C.)
    Asasin-you notice smithville isn't loaded with them this year?Or maybe their in a different location.
    Last year I had to bring an umbrella with me in the fall :(

16. huskyjerk#12

huskyjerk#12 New Member

State:
    Pittsburgh
    Where in from to catch the big cats these are the baits Creek chubs= big flaties, big channels= chicken liver try it its simple. :)

17. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele
    Using bait that matches the natural forage is likely the best you can use since this is what they feed on most of the time. The cut baits of such will out do most other baits.

18. jdRivercat

jdRivercat New Member

I've fished pro cat tournaments for three year now. I always start out using dip baits first to catch a limt of fish than I use cut baits or live baits to catch bigger fish.

19. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    have to agree with most on here. cant go wrong with fresh cut shad and skipjacks.

20. Gentleben

Gentleben New Member

State:
    Huffman, Texas
    I did not see beef heart given any credit, we use beef heart with garlic here in Texas and it works mighty fine for all kinds of fish . :wub: