What is allowed on the water??

Discussion in 'Boating' started by N8theGr8, Dec 9, 2009.

1. N8theGr8

N8theGr8 New Member

State:
    ofallon missour
    So im trying to get a jon boat and im curious to know as what do i need to get before i can legally put it in the water?? if it doesnt have a motor such as a canoe or kayak can i put in anywhere thats public without doing anything? whats the law on an electric trolling motor? The reason is im moving to houston and plan on fishing the lakes such as conroe and houston but dont know anything about boating. help me out folks!

2. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    I'd get in touch with the local game and fish, or who ever is in charge of that, and they should be able to give all the necessary info..to get you legal
    Usually, life vests, flotation device, horn or whistle, nav lights at night..etc..
    good to have other stuff also,, spare,, Everything.
    oar or 2, anchors. rope, rope, and, some rope!!
    some lights, seem helpful.

3. Welder

Welder New Member

State:
    Missouri
    or the Texas Water Patrol.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2009
  4. N8theGr8

N8theGr8 New Member

State:
    ofallon missour
    thanks for all the help guys. i just found an article about it and it basicaly says all non moterized boats are exempt to registering and tagging.

5. boatstall

boatstall New Member

State:
    North Louisiana
    Not sure about Texas, but in Louisiana a trolling motor makes it "motorized" and requires registration, as well as boat #'s and current registration stickers. We run several pirogues with cut down TM's and they cost as much to register as my bigger boats. Major rip off.

If your not running any propulsion, you still may be required to attain a permit sticker for an individual lake. Every body of water may have its own regs. or none, just check with local governing entity for your lake of choice.

Safety equipment goes without saying. Good luck

boatstall

6. lendog

lendog New Member

State:
    berks, PA
    that sounds like how PA is also, if your boat isn't registered(non motorized) then a launch permit is required, thats even if its a rubber raft. best thing is to check the state regs.

7. BubbaCat

BubbaCat New Member

State:
    Arizona
    :wink:

8. BubbaCat

BubbaCat New Member

State:
    Arizona
    JUST TAXES

9. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    If you are going to have it out at night you need a stern light Back) that is visible for at least 1 mile I believe, plus the running bow (front) light with green on the port(left) and red on the starboard (right) so other boats with motors don't run you over. These you can get most anywhere even with a clamp. You need a red distress flag I believe 12 inches by 12 inches, a horn (portable aeresol), if you have any kind of gasoline power, you need a fire extinguisher. You need flotation devices for every person on board. You need a paddle on board.

Oh yeah, don't forget the grill unless you are just a part time fisherman! :smile2: