What is a Shock leader?

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by LadyValea1, Sep 13, 2006.

1. LadyValea1

LadyValea1 New Member

State:
    Fort Worth, Tex
    I was doing a little research on that Pendulem cast...ah, I'm not going to try that cast for a very long time, prolly kill someone or take out an eye!!
    but, I'm wondering what a "shock" leader is? and what, why is it?

2. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    Shock leaders are most often used when fishing for large fish or fish that hit the hook or lure hard and, when the turn to run, will snap a light line. Shock leaders take the brunt of the hit and reduce stress on the main line. Saltwater fishermen use shock leaders even with what most catfishermen would consider very heavy line. As you look at the terminal end of a line, the shock leader will be a section of line either tied directly to the main line, or tied with a swivel. Catfishermen use what could be called a shock leader, usually a short section that may be anwhere for 1.5 to 3 or 4 times as strong as the main line. In the case of catfish, while they may hit the bait hard enough to break light line, the leader is used to reduce abrasion and helps when casting fairly heavy weights and baits. When casting heavy objects, a lot of stress is placed on the line, the heavier leader absorbs much of it.

3. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

A shock leader is a heavy test line used to keep from snapping your line when you are trying to cast for distance are heavy weights and bait. A quick reference for the size of your shock leader would be for every one ounce of weight you are casting you need one pound of test i.e. 3 ounce weight and 3 ounce bait equal 60 pound test shock leader. I use 50 pound test on my rods and it does fine. The shock leader needs to be the length of you pole and go around your reel about 6-10 times. Like you said if that much weight hits someone it could hurt are kill them.

4. LadyValea1

LadyValea1 New Member

State:
    Fort Worth, Tex
    Ok, I understand the shock leaders role.
    so if I tie a shock leader to my three-way rig....wouldn't the lead to the sinker just snap off? because I use a line that is lighter weight in case the sinker get caught in junk, I can break the line...
    I understand the shock leader to go the length of the pole and wrap around a couple times... but that is enough to prevent the three-way rig with the sinker from snappin off? Do you get what I'm saying? :crazy:

5. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

That is a possibility. How far are you trying to cast? If your not trying to cast that far, say 50-75 yards and less you should not need a shock leader. Unless you are casting a lot of weight and going for distance. for the average cast about 25-35 yards you should be fine without it.

6. LadyValea1

LadyValea1 New Member

State:
    Fort Worth, Tex
    Well, I'm bank fishing and trying to get past an underwater drop off...like a cliff...thinkin that cats may be there...so maybe about 75yards...
    I been using 2 oz bell sinker and getting about 25yards . I think I may need a little bit more weight for the sinker...I'm just wondering if the sinker leader or my crappy knots will snap!!! what do you think?

7. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

I would think yu would be ok if you are using 20 pound test for your main line. I would go any lighter than 17.

8. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    Casting no more than a 2 oz weight, you should be ok if the line your weight is on is about 12 lbs. But, myself, if I'm only trying for more than 75 yards, I'd use a carolina rig. But, then, I'm no fan of three way swivels The way I learned to fish was to minimize rigging, it reduces potential failures and problems like those you've reported. That rule has been proven to me with the failure of snaps and snap swivels, good ones at that, a few times.