What is a Rocket Reel?

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by Douglas Foster, Jun 11, 2006.

1. Douglas Foster

Douglas Foster New Member

State:
    SW Oklahoma
    I'm putting together my catfishing arsenal and I keep running across Abu Garcia Rocket reels at Wallyworld and various web sites. Could someone tell me the difference between a 6500 c3 and a 6500 cs Pro Rocket or perhaps the orange 6600 Rocket at W-Mart. Rocket reels seem to be more expensive than non-rockets, so is the extra expense worth it? Thanks for helping a new guy. Doug

2. catfever

catfever Member

State:
    conway,s.c.
    Not sure on this but i think they have faster retrieval ratio.

3. bigflatheadfisherman

bigflatheadfisherman New Member

State:
    north carolina
    The rockets are supposed to be a smoother casting reel and have a faster retrieval rate. My buddy has a set of them and they are nice!:0a26:

4. dixiedrifter

dixiedrifter New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I have one that I like. Supposedly they are build for walmart exclusively. I think they use slighly cheaper components such as the spool having been made a bit diffrently and the bearings... I also think there is a diffrence in the braking system.

As far as I know they are pretty decent reels and I see a lot of folks out using them where I fish.

5. rodpod

rodpod New Member

State:
    Evansville, Ind
    I have the 6600CL Rocket and the click sucks. I dont like the faster gear ratio either. Go with a 7000 or a 6500.

6. dcaruthers

dcaruthers New Member

State:
    Alabama
    I have the 6600 and the 6500 reels. They are made the same except for the gear ratio. The rocket has a 6:3:1 compared to a 5:3:1 of the 6500. The cheaper component statement is false.

7. ohiohawghunter45067

ohiohawghunter45067 New Member

State:
    Trenton, Ohio
    the 6600 rocket is a exclusive reel for walmart only.. there is no dofference in bearing retreive. only difference is that it is burnt orange color and has a thumb bar release instead of side button..