What is a pack bait

Discussion in 'Carp Fishing' started by bigcarp, Mar 1, 2008.

1. bigcarp

bigcarp New Member

State:
    england
    The carp scene has lost its mind over here with the mention of pack baits
    stuff like grits(whatever that is) mixed with corn various drinks and syrup

Please HELP:eek:oooh:

2. CoonX

CoonX Member

State:
    Oklahoma City O
    All it is, is a method mix.
    Grits is ground up hominy.
    A simple mix I use is a large box of instant rice, small box of instant grits and a large bottle of corn syrup. Heat the syrup up, add flavoring(maple is good), and mix with the rice and grits, let it sit for about 30 minutes and then use it like a method mix.

:004:

3. mcwrestler

mcwrestler New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Pack baits are the trademark of American paylakers, where method was brought in by the euro crowd. At this point the 2 are merging into eurolakers which I am a small part off. Grits pack with some special flavoring is a real winner in my area. I will make a thread detailing a great method of grits pack if anyone would like. The carp scene is growing in america and boilies, method, tiger nuts, and other things are becoming more wide spread. I hope to see it continue to grow by leaps and bounds.

4. bigcarp

bigcarp New Member

State:
    england
    it seems to me that its just a method mix using american ingredients ie grits ( still have no idea what the hell they are) so how would an english method fair in US. I have to tell you we had a programme over here called tightlines and they had a item on pack baits since then it has been almost impossible to buy US ingredients over here especially grits and minute rice just wondered if any had some different mixes that I could try:wink:

5. justwannano

justwannano Active Member

State:
    SE Iowa
    I don't know if it is new to you but I make a pretty good carp bait with corn meal,flour and corn syrup.
    Add some red jello if you want something a little different.
    There isn't really any measuring to do. Its probably different each time.
    Heat the corn syrup and add corn meal and then enough flour so it holds together.
    Let it cool and if you can roll it into a ball without it sticking to your hands its ready to use.
    Pull a small chunk off roll it into a ball and insert treble hook.
    When fishing you have to be ready because when the carp pulls on bait if you don't set the hook the bait will be gone. Thats all the better because the corn flavored flour as it flows downstream it attracts other fish.
    If the bait flies off your hook when casting add flour.

good luck
    just

6. bigcarp

bigcarp New Member

State:
    england
    I would get shot using a treble hook for carp fishing I intend to use the mix in conjunction with a pva bag :big_smile:

7. Catgirl

Catgirl New Member

8. Mizzbigcat

Mizzbigcat New Member

State:
    Warren County Ohio
    Shot? *gasp* Remind me not to fish where you do! :smile2:

9. bigcarp

bigcarp New Member

State:
    england
    And I thought porridge was nasty :eek:oooh: no wonder it is used for bait