What is a good metal detector to start out with?

Discussion in 'Metal Detecting' started by catsrking, May 30, 2006.

1. catsrking

catsrking New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Hoping someone can tell me what kind/style would be a good reliable detector to start out with??

2. craigr

craigr New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    DON'T get a Radio Shack or other 50 dollar 'beeper'.

The 'good ones' start around 3 to 400 dollars.

I have 2, one is a Tesaro with Discrimination & 'Notch', this one run me around 400 dollars 15 or so years ago. The other is a Whites XLT Pro, which run me 800 dollars 10 years ago. The big differences are the options. The first one is audible only, with a hand full of things to adjust. Pretty good for a first timer. The Whites model has an LCD Screen & HUNDREDS of settings to adjust. They both will find anything metal, but I dig much less junk with the Whites model.

The cheaper ones will also find just about any metal, but you will probably get discouraged by the amount of junk you are finding.

If I can answer any more questions, let me know.

craigr

3. catsrking

catsrking New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Thank you for the comeback. Gonna check this detectiing thing out and see what's available here.

4. rwbrown1

rwbrown1 New Member

State:
    Tulsa, OK
    I'll second the advice about not getting a real inexpensive detector. Tesoros, Whites, Fishers, Mine Labs, are all good brands (there are others that I'm not really familiar with). Save up if ya have to, you'll dig up lots less trash with a better detector. I also have two detectors, an older Fisher CZ-7a and my current weapon of choice, a Whites MXT...

(I was just out in the yard checkin' out the Fisher, getting ready for the Keystone Lake, Oklahoma gathering and found a very nice 1945D penny. Not worth much but I've hunted the yard so many times before, that I was a bit amazed.)

Ask questions and have fun......:big_smile:
    Bob..

5. Sentry Dog Man

Sentry Dog Man New Member

State:
    TN
    I have only used two brands of detectors, Garrett and Minelab. Top end models on both brands. But, between the two I prefer the Minelabs. And, I now have two Minelabs (the Explorer and the Soverign Elite or Soverign Elite pro (I cannot recall the name for sure) and the Garrett GTI 2500. IMO the Minelabs are much better machines than the Garrett's. Thus, that is why I bought another Minelab. Since, I have had better success with the Minelabs.

6. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    Mike's right on about the Minelab and it's multi frequency technology.

White's has purchased the right's to use Minelab technology in their top of the line detector.

I swing a White MXT, and find plenty, but not at the depth the Minelabs go.

I'd like to get back up to the Hampton Tn area again and hit the swimming holes after the lakes are down for the Fall/Winter. Mike if your interested, I'll be in touch later in the yr.

7. MadKater

MadKater New Member

State:
    Evansville,IN
    Ive always been fond of whites detectors..i own an old whites "coin master"{my first detector} then went to a whites quantum and now swing a whites XLT pro/spectrum......ive owned a couple others like garret/bounty hunter/minelab but i have to go back to whites for the feel and ease of operation.

8. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    Best metal detector I've ever seen is a woman that thinks you have any loose change in your pockets!!!!!!!!!:big_smile: :lol: :smile2:

9. flaboy

flaboy New Member

State:
    Wedgefield, SC
    OK, agreed. now what do you do if you don't got no coins in your pocket?

10. Sentry Dog Man

Sentry Dog Man New Member

State:
    TN
    Bob,

I have just about forgotten how to use my detectors (discerning the different tones etc). I have just had mine out one time this year and that was just a week or so ago after I tore off an old back porch on my other house. To, see if maybe there might have been some old coins under it. All, I found were old pull tabs and nails. But, did find one old plumb bob.

Maybe we could get together if you come up. I sure don't know where all the swimming holes are though. Other than a couple on National Forest land. And, I don't know if you can hunt there at all and/or if you have to have a permit.

11. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    I'll have to pull up the regs on detecting federal land. Your allowed, with restrictions.

12. davesoutfishing

davesoutfishing New Member

State:
    Menominee Michigan
    ok guys I want a detecter lol I have a ton of olf baitcasters with old rods of all types I would be willing to trade for a good detecter pm me if interrested

13. osageCo_flathead

osageCo_flathead New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    What do you guys think about the Garrett ace 250???? I posted on a Metal Detecting site the question of which model would be best to start out on and they said the ace 250 is great.

14. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    From all I've seen and heard about the Ace 250, it's a fine detector to start out with and enjoy. It may be all you ever want.