What is a good deep fry set up?

Discussion in 'The BOC Diner' started by Johny Buck, Apr 15, 2008.

1. Johny Buck

Johny Buck New Member

State:
    virginia
    I've never fried a whole turkey but would like to try. For an average size turkey, how long should it cook in the oil and are some oils better than other oils? Thanks for any suggestions.

2. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I cant help ya,as I watched a safety program on turkey friers a few years ago an it changed my mind about trying it.:crazy:I know there are a bunch here that fry turkeys . If you dont generate responses that help,put this in diner ,The home-gormets will jump on it.. While I'm at it I wouln like to welcome you if i havent done so.

3. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    Deep fry your turkey 3 to 5 minutes per lb. 3 minutes for a small turkey and 5 minutes for a large turkey. If you are using one of the turkey fry pots that they sell then stick with a 13 lb. turkey and cook it 3.5 minutes per lb at 300 to 350 degrees. If you want to test doneness get an instant read meat thermometer and test it as soon as you pull it out. The internal temp needs to be 170 to 180 degrees to be done. Another tip is to put your turkey in the pot and fill with just enough water to cover the bird, remove the bird slowly allowing all your water to stay in the pot. Use a marker to mark the top of the water level in the pot. pour your water out and dry your pot then fill to your line with oil.

4. on_the_fly

on_the_fly New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    johnys got it all right for you only thing I will add to his post is you need to use peanut oil holds the heat much better than any other oil with out scortching, and also gives better oil flaver than the other oils too. you can get it at wal-mart in a five gal box for about 26 bucks.

5. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    If you watched a film and decided not to fry your turkey, it's only because they fimed idiots doing it.:smile2:, who can't pay attention to minor details.

6. craddock1

craddock1 Active Member

State:
    TENNESSEE
    Great way to cook a bird. I like peanut oil best. Use only as much oil as necessary to cover the bird. I like to take the swing off a swing set.I have a cable with a hook on one end i swing the turkey from the swing set and use the cable to slowly lower the turkey into the hot oil. The oil has to be hot or the bird is ruined. when the turkey hits the hot oil it will pop and splatter. If you are holding on to the gripper provided you may drop the bird and it will be like an explosion with the grease poping and boiling over. Putting the turkey in to fast and adding to much oil is the cause of most fires. It takes aboug 1/2 an hour to get the bird golden brown. i sit the swing set near by and hang the bird for 5-10 minutes after i take it out just to drain as much oil as i can. sure is good eating.

7. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    ya ive heard the same about peanut oil. best that is.

reg corn oil is a bit cheaper and will work though. lower frozen turkey down into pot and measure out water in gallon jugs and fill to safe level first. then you know how much oil to add before things get hot. and use gloves and a hook and lower into hot oil slowly. to prevent boil over. that starts fires.

be sure to select a level area outside. even in garage can be dangerous. grease fires spread fast bro. trust me. gravel or concrete are best but use a big sheet of cardboard to cover it. the grease may stain it.

also the dryer the bird free of water ice the better. that will cause grease to pop and jump. like tossing frozen french fries into hot oil. we all know what that does.

3-5 min lb is correct and a good judgment on times. injecting is the best for a fried bird. pump it full of your favorite seasonings before dropping in. optional. just adds garlic butter flavors ect... depending on what ya choose. rubs on the outside can add a little but mostly flavor oil as they cook off.

good luck. i always have borowed fryers. im in the market for a decent one myself this season. one i can call my own.

8. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Keep in mind that you've got to really be careful about putting a wet bird into the hot oil. That's what makes the oil bubble up and out of the pot, sometimes causing a fire. Even at best, your turkey is going to have enough moisture in it that you need to lower it into the hot oil very slowly. It will help if you use some paper towels to pat the turkey as dry as possible; actually, that's good advice even if you don't dip the bird into water. What I prefer to do is to put in what I think is the right amount of oil to cover the turkey, then add another 2 or 3 pints. When the oil is ready to put in the bird, I take a large pot and dip out a pot full of the hot oil and set it aside. I put in the bird, then, if necessary, I pour some hot oil back into the big pot. The temperature of the hot oil is very important, so keep a thermometer hanging on the side of the pot.

9. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    Jerry is correct, I should have finished the post. Always dry your pot and your bird with paper towels. Now for best results get an injector and inject the bird with terryaki and honey and creole butter. Rub cajun shake all over the outside of the bird. When your oil temp reaches 330 degrees SLOWLY LOWER the turkey into the hot oil. By going slowly this will sear the outside of the bird keeping your juices inside, thats wy I want the correct amount of oil in the pot from the start. After turkey has been completely submerged keep your temp close to 330 degrees for the remainder of the cooking time. A little lower or a little higher is fine but do not let the temp drop below 300 or for sure go above 350. After the turkey is done put it in a paper bag for 15 minutes before carving and serving. Guarantee you will never want another baked turkey after eating one prepaired like this. I also have a big witches kettle that I use to fry fish in, I have cooked two big turkeys in that pot at the same time and cooked a 22 lber. in it for Christmas this past year.

10. cattoon

cattoon Member

State:
    alabama
    been frying them since about 1995, Father in law was a cajun,,, I usually melt 2 sticks of margarine or butter and then mix hot sauce, tabasco or lousiana type, garlic powder,ground cayenne, finely ground black pepper, onion salt and a dash of worchestershire and just adjust each until it has a good flavor. Ideally I inject the night before and let the turkey sit in the refer over night. before frying I make sure the outside is dry then rub with margerine and sprinkle Tony Chachere's creole seasoning on it. oil to 370 or a little hotter and immediately before SLoooooowwwwwwly lowering in the oil,,,, turn burner OFF, no open flame much less likely to burn the yard down, after it stops sputtering and slashing I relight the burner with a long propane match/grill lighter and try not to let the temp get below 325-350 as it cooks I adjust the flame down as the temp keeps going up and by the time it's about finished the burner is usually off, I use 3 1/2 min per pound plus about 5 min. I have yet to set the yard on fire or burn up a turkey and usually do about 8-12 a year.

11. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    I've found a brand of hot sauce that's so good I haven't touched my Louisiana Hot Sauce or Tabasco since I found it. The brand is Valentina, and it comes in regular picante, and muy picante. It's not as hot as Tabasco, but it doesn't cover up the flavor at all. I get mine in a neighborhood Mexican grocery.

12. BigBird

BigBird New Member

State:
    Charlotte, NC
    I have fried up to 12 turkeys in one day. If you want to enjoy baked turkeys again-dont fry a turkey! You will be ruined forever. My favorite holiday is thanksgiving.
    A couple of tips that have worked for me. No kids or dogs outside while oil is hot. No cooking on deck or in garage. Keep cardboard for drip liner under finished turkey(keeps driveway clean). Usually first timers are intimidated by the oil and dont want to hold turkey for slow decent. Dont dunk turkey in fast as it is like a volcano.
    Peanut oil wont burn as easy and wont require constant heat adjustments like vegetable oil.
    Frying turkeys is like getting a drivers license or having children-they ought to give a stupid test before starting. Have fun and remember safety is the priority.

13. iceman

iceman New Member

State:
    Walterboro S.C
    I cook a 13lb. turkey 3 1/2 min. per lb. I inject it with creole butter sauce. also any dry seasoning i use i don't apply to the outside of the bird. this will wash off in the oil and blacken the outside of the bird. start with breast side up with neck facing away from you. work fingers between skin and breast meat making sure not to tear the skin. keep working it all the way up to the neck and across the hole breast. take dry seasoning and put in your hand and ease it into the beast area and rub it over the breast area. pat skin down and put in the fridge overnight. deep fry and enjoy!

GARY :big_smile:

14. Katfish Kern

Katfish Kern New Member

State:
    Florida
    Everyone here has got it right, about 3 1/2 minutes a pound dont go over 350 and below 325. And inject that bird with some creole butter. And peanut oil is the only way to go. I fried so many turkeys one year I had to buy a battery powered filter for the oil so I wouldn't have to keep buying it.

15. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Peanut oil is definitely great for frying, but if you can't stand the cost, or if you're concerned about fried foods being too bad for your cholesterol and triglicerides, try switching to Canola oil. It's very comparable in price to vegetable oil and tastes the same to me. Here is a link to Wikipedia's info about various oils for frying:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cooking_oil

16. Johny Buck

Johny Buck New Member

State:
    virginia
    Thanks for all the great suggestions and info. I will use all the safety precautions suggested!!!!

17. BigOBear

BigOBear New Member

State:
    TX
    I usually have a buddy around and we run a broom handle through the upside down clothes hanger thing that comes with your fryer to lower the turkey in and take it out. One on each side, keeps you away from the top of that pot. Go slow.

18. BigOBear

BigOBear New Member

State:
    TX
    Boy howdy do we ever know what that does... especially when you're naked while tossing french fries into that hot oil.... man o man :crazy: I'll tell you what!

19. BigOBear

BigOBear New Member

State:
    TX
    Not that I would ever do such a thing... just what I heard ya know? :eek:oooh:

20. gardengrz

gardengrz New Member

State:
    wakeman,ohio
    thats called deep fried mountain oysters :big_smile::cool2: