What is a eater-size panfish?

Discussion in 'Bluegill Fishing' started by JHalden, Jul 19, 2009.

1. JHalden

JHalden New Member

State:
    NorthCalifornia
    Hey everybody I was wondering what size panfish is good for eating. Are the big ones the only one with enough meat?

2. lforet2002

lforet2002 Well-Known Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I like my eater bream to be at least 8"..

3. cat tamer

cat tamer New Member

State:
    MO
    If it is big enough to get on the hook it is big enough to cook

4. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
    What is a eater-size panfish? BAIT,,, good bait!:big_smile:

5. bedbug jr

bedbug jr New Member

State:
    Missouri
    If it will make a sammich, it passes muster:smile2::smile2: Stay safe and stick a pig!!!

6. Catfishboy1995

Catfishboy1995 New Member

State:
    Council Bluffs
    Man ill tell you what bluegills are the best eating fish there is!!!I like mine 6 in or more! under that is a great bait...I dont use the igger ones because the fish cant get to them becayse i already ate them!

7. slakltrak

slakltrak New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    I'd like 'em to be 8 and bigger but I've been known to sneak a few plump 7 inchers for supper. I love them Gills !!:big_smile:

Attached Files:

• 003.jpg
      003.jpg
      File size:
      24.8 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2009
  8. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    The larger the better,My wife wont eat em if they arent filleted,,But I occasionally keep a mess of 5-6" gills,just scale,gut,behead. Then fry up. Leave the tail and fins on,they fry up like lays tater chips.:wink:

9. DLB-in-GR

DLB-in-GR New Member

State:
    MI
    It depends on the species (bluegill, crappie, or yellow perch) and what time of year it is. During their spawning when they are on beds, sorting is usually not necessary, you'll catch big ones. In November I am much less picky about size and keep small ones (wild caught bluegill are about $14 per pound at the supermarket here). A yellow perch of the same length as a bluegill will have less meat so those need to be larger for me to keep. I usually keep most of what I catch, unless its very tiny, and I have a mess of fish which I can sort the smaller ones out of if I get some big ones later. Sometimes I will catch and keep a large Green Sunfish, which don't get very big at all in MI. Goal for me is to limit out first (25 bluegills, sunfish, or crappie in MI), sort later. If they are all small "bait theives" because that's all I can catch that day, I'll pan dress them and make them into fish stock, or use the fillets in a panfish soup. The big gills are sometimes twice the size of the small ones I keep. At least 5 medium sized fish make a meal for one, and if I can't catch 5, it isn't worth getting out the cleaning stuff, I just put them all back, they weren't biting that day.

10. schoonie

schoonie New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    The smaller the fillet, the crispier. I don't mind cleaning a bunch of 6" and above. Put 'em right next to crappie! Very tasty. I think they're better eatin' than the big cats, so the bigguns hit the grease.

11. JHalden

JHalden New Member

State:
    NorthCalifornia
    Damn this is gettin me hungry! :roll_eyes:

12. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Tony those are some nice fillets.

13. lookin_4_moby

lookin_4_moby New Member

State:
    Guthrie, OK
    is there a such thing???:confused2: i thought they all were bait lol:smile2:

14. on_the_fly

on_the_fly New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    any fish has got to be big enough to at least get a bonless fillet off of and be a little bigger than a 1"x1" pice of meat. noting under about 8 inches here for gills or crappies ( crappies have to be 9" to even keep here on the lake ) Its hard to find big gills around these parts any more. realy only good places for big gills is farm ponds. but not many will let people fish.

15. DLB-in-GR

DLB-in-GR New Member

State:
    MI
    I have been known to eat my bait, so to speak... A mess of cats plus a mess of eating sized bait sure makes a nice day.:big_smile:

16. Katfish Kern

Katfish Kern New Member

State:
    Florida
    MMMMMM deep fried panfish porkchops! And those tails sure do taste like tator chips.