What is a Dipsy Diver

Discussion in 'Fishing Rod Review' started by Douglas Foster, Jul 3, 2006.

1. Douglas Foster

Douglas Foster New Member

State:
    SW Oklahoma
    I'm hoping the Brotherhood can help me figure this out. I'm looking for a 10' Ugly Stik and I've found one refered to as a Dipsy Diver, supposed to have a thicker handle than an outrigger rod. What is a DipsyDiver and is it suitable for catfishing. Help this land locked Okie learn about the world. Thanks Doug

2. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    A Dipsy Diver is one of those diver's that work on the bridges in the Ohio & Mississippi Rivers. They are the ones that come back up & swear they saw a Catfish the size of a Volkswagon!!!! Yes, after a few ice cold adult beverages, they get a little dipsy! :haha: :0a26:

3. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Actually..... Here ya go:

The dipsy diver is a plaining diving device that will enable you to send lures down to a set depth and out to the side of your boat. Rods for trolling dipsys have to be strong and stout. A must have is some way of measuring the amount of line you have out (this determines the depth that the dipsy will run at). You can either use a line counter reel or a clip-on line counter that fits to your rod or by counting the amount of times the level wind mechanism travels from side to side on a multiplier reel. Try to run a dipsy without a means of measuring the line out and you will lose them.
    Below is a pic of a Dipsy Diver & a Diagram of how to rig one.

As far as using that Dipsy Diver Rod For Catting, I guess you could do it, but I personally would stick to a reg 10 foot Ugly Stick or an Ugly Stick Tiger Rod if you really wanted lots of backbone.

4. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Here is a better pic. This will give you a better idea of what the dipsy divers look like. (They can be many diff colors & sizes.) There are Jet Divers, Planner Boards, etc... If I am not wrong, they all do the same basic thing.

5. jailcop2

jailcop2 New Member

State:
    iowa
    I have a Browning Silaflex dipsy rod and have often wonderd if it would be a good catfish rod . thanks for the help
    Brian

6. rcneman

rcneman New Member

State:
    TN
    colored line is also available at some crazy cost that let's you know how much line you have out....i believe it's called lead core line...not sure. Every so many yards the color changes.

no experience with this stuff at all..never had an interest in trolling, but had a few friends that like to do that kind of stuff.

cyas
    rc

7. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    Have never heard that, pretty interesting. I like the reels with the line counter on em. But, I figure as long as my line is in the water that is good enough for me. LMAO

8. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

I know one guy that uses that line and he swears by it. I just don't see the use. Not when he is fishing straight down. I have been known to mark my poles with white out are tape at 2,3,4 and 5 foot for crappie fishing straight down. yeah its low tech but why spend money you don't have to.

9. catmancarr

catmancarr New Member

State:
    ky
    there is dipsy rods also they would be very good for catin