What is a Carolina Rig??

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by catman-j, Jan 28, 2009.

1. catman-j

catman-j New Member

State:
    Eastern Nebr
  2. treemydog

treemydog New Member

State:
    Conway, Ar
    A carolina rig is where you put a egg sinker on your main line above a swivel.
    Below the swivel you tie a leader with your lure/bait.

When a fish picks up the bait, it allows the fish to pull some line without having to feel the resistance of picking up the weight.

The line just slides through the weight.

Bass fishermen use a plastic worm a lot on a carolina rig with a 1/2 to 3/4 oz weight.

Lots of folks put a plastic bead on the main line below the sinker to protect the knot from getting hammered by the sinker.

Hope this helps.

3. catman-j

catman-j New Member

State:
    Eastern Nebr
    That's great thanks! That's what I use and I was wondering if that was the name for it.:smile2:

4. whiteriverbigcats

whiteriverbigcats New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Its a great rig and I would say most use it!

5. deepwoods

deepwoods Member

State:
    north carolina
    We use a variation of the Carolina rig, a Santee rig. It is the same as the Carolina rig but place a 2 inch in-line float about half way between the hook and the sinker. It keeps the bait off the bottom and helps avoids snags. Also instead of a egg sinker try a walker or slinky weight.

6. Relocated-Yankee

Relocated-Yankee New Member

State:
    Goldsboro
    just my 2c worth. For still water an egg sinker is popular, withe moving water the no-roll is preferred. I use the no-roll for all types since I only need to have one type of sinker!! :wink:

Scott

7. lendog

lendog New Member

State:
    berks, PA
    i use a disc sinker which has an eyelet and connect it to a snap swivel, i let the snap swivel slide up and down my line, the snap swivel is less abrasive on the line and its also easy to change my sinker or add more by opening the snap

8. katsandsuds

katsandsuds New Member

State:
    North Caro

I agree lendog, I use a snap swivel as well. When I am in a place that my weight snags alot, rocks for example, I will often tie the weight to the snap swivel with lighter line, 10lb or so. This allows me to break the weight off, only loosing the weight, and keeping the snap swivel, mainline, leader and the like.

I also heard a guy in a siminar this past weekend that uses the plastic practice golf balls (like wiffle balls), cut a slot and puts that around the weight to make it more snag resistant. I am going to try that out soon.

9. mrmarkedwards

mrmarkedwards Active Member

State:
    Delaware
    the first one is a one piece carolina rig with an egg sinker if i want to change the weight i can cut the the line at the swivel and retie. the second one is a fishfinder rig with a pyramid sinker. this is my goto rig i have rigged it with the lighter line also but thats another story.

Attached Files:

10. MOVINON

MOVINON Member

State:
    Glenwood Iowa
    Thanks for getting an answer to a question I've had for a long time.