What is a bait clicker?

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by Langerock, Apr 1, 2006.

1. Langerock

Langerock New Member

State:
    Modesto, CA
    I have a rhino baitcaster, I bought it on sale for $35 but it was originally $90
    I am wondering what a bait clicker is and how do I use it?

2. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    A bait clicker is simply a bait casting reel with a special feature. This feature may be referred to as a "clicker" or as "line out alarm". Basically, when the reel is in free spool, or the drag backed off way loose, the reel emits an audible noise when line is pulled from the reel. Hence, the term "bait clicker".

3. Rat

Rat New Member

State:
    Forrest Illinoi
    Mike, on the Rhino baitcaster, the clicker button is on the left hand side of the reel (as you are holding the rod and looking down at the reel.) Slide the button up and the clicker is engaged. Put the reel in free spool, then pull out on the line and you'll hear the clicker mechanism working. When you have the rod in a rod holder with the clicker on and a fish takes your bait, you'll hear it and know now's the time to get on it.
    Rat

4. Langerock

Langerock New Member

State:
    Modesto, CA
    it is a rbc330 and there is no button?
    By the way, is it a good reel?
    And how big a fish could I cathc with it?

5. Rat

Rat New Member

State:
    Forrest Illinoi
    Sorry Mike, I thought you were saying you had a Rhino with a clicker. I don't know about the 330, mine are RCBXL's.
    Rat

6. explayer

explayer New Member

State:
    Tucson AZ
    I would a good reel is anything that you like and what ever work for you

7. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    I have never owned and know nothing about your reel.I have owned many reels in my 50+ years of fishing.I am like"explayer".You and only you can decide if it is a good reel.If you are satisfied and happy with it,it is a good reel.No one else can make that decision for you.About 1968 I bought a cheap 202 Zebco.I only got to use it one time to catch one fish.The fish totally destroyed the reel,as it wore itself out.I pulled the last 20 feet of line in by hand.I was extremely lucky to land the fish.The fish was a Striped Bass that weighted over 21 pounds.Yes,that little cheap reel was one of the BEST reels that I ever bought.I have never bought or used one since as I thought they are too lightly built.I have heard that they are better built now.The cheapest reel that I ever remember buying,was one of the BEST that I ever owned.peewee-williams

8. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    I have to agree with the consensus... only you can determine if it is a good reel. If it has a "clicker", most always the button is on the left side of the reel, or on the rear/left side as in abu garcia's. And PeeWee, I fully agree with you about those Zebco 202's. I used them in the Chesapeake bay for flounder. Plastic reels, salt water, no problem...just rinse them off and your good to go again. Only caught flounder with them... honestly didn't fish for anything else.

9. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    A baitclicker is for to turn on when u is bottom fishing, to let u know u have a fish on.

10. kspor

kspor New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    I like em to wake me up. Nothing like a lil nap in the sun and the click waking you up to a nice cat. I have lost fish tho using circle hooks as they drop it before I can get to the pole.