What in the world was that thing?

Discussion in 'Small Game Hunting' started by flatheadchris, Nov 13, 2006.

1. flatheadchris

flatheadchris New Member

State:
    sc
    Well i went squirrel hunting and i took my pellet rifle instead of my shotgun[i knew id dread that later,which i did].But i was walking through the woods chasing about 4-5 squirrels then all of a sudden some freaky animal runs out of a tree hole across a limb and runs into another hole a tree down.i have never seen one before.he was the size of a large goundhog and didnt have a tail and had big ears,brown,not sure if he had fur or what.ive narrowed down my results.

it was not a:
    rabbit
    obese squirrel
    possum
    coon

can groundhogs climb tree's?????

The only thing thats got me is it had big ears,about the size of a rabbits ears.

it was about 50 yards from a friends cabin so im going back out today to try to find it,with a #5 shotgun shell.

2. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    No groundhogs don't climb trees.Don't know for sure if Bob Cats climb trees or not. Thats what it sounds like though. Good luck on your hunt.Let us know if you get it.

3. buzzgator

buzzgator New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Bobcats can climb trees coulda been 1... Good luck!!

4. trnsmsn

trnsmsn New Member

State:
    Missouri Originally Now I
    A Bobcat has short ears though:confused2:

5. flatheadchris

flatheadchris New Member

State:
    sc
    im in south carolina.

lived here all my life and ive never seen a bobcat up here,and the legs was short and stubby.dout it was a bobcat.

6. TomV

TomV New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Missouri
    Might be a good idea to take a camera with you and maybe instead of the gun. jmho

7. Big Eli

Big Eli New Member

State:
    Ohio, Clifton

Yes ground hogs do climb trees. See it with my very own eyes. Even shot them out of trees before!!!

Last week acrossed the road in the neibors feild saw one of there goats in a tree about 6 foot up!!

And before you start, NO I have not been smokeing any of thoughts funny green cigeretts either!!!!!!!

8. breadboy

breadboy New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I've seen a groundhog climb a tree as well.

9. Sparky Larson

Sparky Larson New Member

State:
    Marlette Michigan
    I shot a ground hog out of a tree in my back yard. I have also seen at least three other ones in a tree at one time or another.
    Sparky

10. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    groundhogs do climb trees :lol: sorry mrr .

it could have been a coala bear there small with big ears , take a camera get a pic before you decide to kill it , i wouldnt kill anything i wasnt planning to eat . its a waste , besides you might discover a new speceis of critter

11. bootshowl

bootshowl New Member

State:
    Indiana, J
    I've shot woodchucks (3) out of trees. If you get between them and the honey hole...they are quick as a coon. The females will also do this to distract you if they have young ones. Ya got me going with the no tail big ears thing going though.....Ace has got a nice pic of a bobcat posted. Check it out. What kind of tracks did you see? Whatever it is I would strongly recommend not poking it with a stick till you know what it is. But that's just me. I'm a sissy.
    :wink:

12. buzzgator

buzzgator New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I have never seen a ground hog in SC but I spend all my time between Santee and the coast could be in the upstate I guess. I have seen 3 or 4 bobcats tho

13. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.

Ok I guess I was wrong.I just never saw one up a tree ,so I figured they couldn't climb trees. Guess I learned something.Who says you can't teach an old dog new tricks.:roll_eyes: OH WELL!!

14. Believer

Believer New Member

State:
    Greenwood, AR.
    Ok, now i'm confussed. Are you an old dog or a river rat?:roll_eyes:

15. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

I vote for old river rat with a dog, lol

16. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

17. SkiMax

SkiMax New Member

State:
    Rising Sun, IN
    My dad still swears to this day that he saw a koala bear in Southern Western Ohio when he was a young lad in the 50's. His description sounds similar to what u described. He swears by it. Him and all three of his brothers do. They climed the tree it was in and tried to catch it in his t-shirt but couldn't before it ran into a thicket. who knows what it was. But i definately agree with a camera over a gun. don't kill it needlessly-just capture it on film and discover what it is.

18. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

[​IMG]

I wonder if it could have been a pet Hyrax. Did it look like this?​

are was it more like this ? Ochotonidae (Pikas). Pikas look like Guinea Pigs with short round ears. They live where many other Mammals would freeze to death – above the tree line of mountains in Asia, Europe, and North America.

19. flatheadchris

flatheadchris New Member

State:
    sc
    snap that looks identical to it.well thay might be it.im going back out tonight if i see it il get a pic.

20. TomV

TomV New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Missouri
    Way to go Chris. See if you can get that picture and keep us posted. Good Luck!