What ignition you guys runnin'

Discussion in '4X4 Truck Talk and Repairs' started by uapipefitter, May 31, 2008.

1. uapipefitter

uapipefitter New Member

State:
    potterville,mi
    Ha, catters out there, I'm having problems with my 68 bronco firing. I have a msd distributor and box that I have run for years. It will not start. Turns over all day with no spark. Replaced coil, nothing. Hot wired with push button starter and toggle to by pass stock ignition switch, nothing. Sent two different boxes back to msd for repairs, hopefully. Just want to know what you guys run for after market ignitions if you do. Thanks Trent

2. Wabash River Bear

Wabash River Bear New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I have run MSD 6's and 7's without fail, but like anything with age its bound to fail eventually. It could be the pickup in the distributor if not the box.

3. Ecfool

Ecfool New Member

State:
    California
    I have been running the Mallory Unilite ignition in my 73 F100 and my 68 Torino for years now. I have had to replace module in Torino due to minor problem of motor mount busting and made a hard left turn and throttle went to WFO from engine torquing over and pulling throttle linkage open slightly. I had to shut off ignitoon switch while engine was at about 7000rpm and fried the ignition module. Dont know why but it will kill module if igniton is shut off at high RPM's

4. uapipefitter

uapipefitter New Member

State:
    potterville,mi
    Sounds like some nice vehicals Earl. I'm big ford guy so those are right up my alley. Whats the torino have in it?

5. swampratt

swampratt Member

State:
    oklahoma
    Nice rides man ,,Love the jeep paint...my brown van is sooo hot in the summer ,I may turn it into a zebra:crazy:,,

In my cleveland i ran a single point.. and it ran well to 7200rpm
    Tested in a chevy , a points distributor with a ford coil-VS- an HEI with the white olds. moduel...11.27 compression and 245 lbs of cranking pressure 355cid
    The points pulled harder on the top with 300rpm extra over the HEI...Mileage was the same .. and the curves were the same21 inital with 41 total all in by 2000 rpm-- has seen 8500rpm..mostly 7500

Played with plug gaps and .035 was the perfect spot

I just like the points. with a hot ford coil, much more reliable than they get credit for ,,Of course i lock the vaccum advance plate. so as not to get spark scatter at high rpm

6. uapipefitter

uapipefitter New Member

State:
    potterville,mi
    Thanks for the info Jeff. If msd doesn't have any solutions I'll go back to my stock set up. That was always joe reliable.